Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Nine" with Antonio Banderas or "Gypsy" with Bernadette Peters in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Diane

Want to get tickets for my parent's anniversary while they're in NYC in May. Such a tough choice but can't afford both....what's the projection for the best in Broadway this spring? I'm leaning towards Gypsy but...not sure. Both shows/tickets are already getting hard to come by good seats! Thanks from you locals! Diane

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM
howitzer

except for the movie evita..antonio is not known for being a musical performer...however glenn close (Another actor not known for musicals) in sunset blvd was a must see theatrical event. i thought she was incredible and I would go see antonio hoping for the same chemistry.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Howard

No one can really say at this time which show will be better since they're both in rehearsals. I guess it's just a matter of taste. If it's any help, Gypsy is a more traditional type musical show, while Nine is more abstract in format and style.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:46 AM
katie

Nine was so good with Rauol Julia and Anita Morris, that it will be hard to imagine someone else doing it as well.
I have seen Gypsy a couple of times with different actresses, Tyne Dailey being the last one.
I would go for Bernadette Peters in Gypsy, seems to be the one that has the least going against it

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:42 AM
nicki

Confused...is Glen Close in "Nine"?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Howard

To answer your question Nicki, no.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Patrick

Well, katie, I could paraphrase your response to, "Ethel Merman was so good in the original Gypsy it's hard to imagine anyone else doing it as well."
But most of us never saw Ethel Merman do it, just as most of us never saw Rauol Julia do Nine, so that argument is really kind of pointless.

If they are real theatre goers, I'd go for NINE. I grabbed my tickets for May the minute I heard about it. And don't forget Chita Rivera's in that production too. If the parents are more standard musical goers, then opt for Gypsy. I'm sure it will be a good production, although I still question Miss Peters as the cast choice just like in Annie Get Your Gun. NINE will not be "everyone's cup of tea". But GYPSY is a pretty guaranteed crowd pleaser.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Howard

Well said, Patrick. You got the point across much better than I did in an early post1! (However, I must confess that we weren't that crazy about the Nine!)

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM
michele

Agree with Patrick.If your parents prefer more traditional theatre, then go with Gypsy. Great music, good story. (have to say, is Bernadette tough enough for Mama Rose??)If they like less-traditional theatre, see NINE.(It's a musical based on 8 1/2 , if that helps) I love both shows ( saw NINE with Raul Julia and Sergio Franchi.)And it is Antonio ...

By the way, Glenn Close trained as a singer. She was the female lead in Barnum with Jim Dale long before the movies came along.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Patrick

Interesting comments here about Glen Close. But could someone explain why we are talking about her, since she has nothing to do with Gypsy or Nine, the two shows I thought we were talking about?

Maybe we should also mention that Jason Alexander was a song and dance man before he ever did Seinfeld on TV. But that of course has nothing to do with anything here either.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Flynn

I believe the reason Glenn Close's name came up as a comparison is because she had to sing in Sunset Boulevard. People went to see her - she was so electrifying - and the singing was secondary.

To answer the original poster, I love the show Gypsy and I bet Bernadette Peters will be fabulous in it. The music is wonderful, the sets are great, the stripper scene ("You've Gotta Have a Gimmick")is always a crowd pleaser along with "Let Me Entertain You." Nine would be way down my list unless your parents must see Antonio Banderas.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:17 PM
broadwaylover!

Tough call! I'm looking forward to both and have had tickets for Gypsy for about a month now. I slipped up obtaining tickets for Nine, but I just bought tickets for NINE on ebay today for 3/14, Row A, Dead Center. Can't Wait! There were actually tickets for both Nine and Gypsy on ebay if you have any trouble. I don't think you can go wrong with either! Your parents are lucky to have such a considerate daughter! (Guess if I had to vote, I'd go with Gypsy)