Nice Target in San Diego

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 12:30 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Target in San Diego

My husband is traveling to the US for work in a couple weeks. I've asked him to pick up some things at Target. Their website suggests several different stores, but I was wondering if any local fodorites knew which ones were the nice ones and which were the not so nice! I know it's Target, so none will be NICE, but some will definitely be nicer than others. The one on Sports Arena Blvd is the closest but he'll also be visiting friends in La Jolla so if one up there is nicer he can stop by on his way.

Sorry this isn't a more exciting travel question -- but the idea of candy corn and mellowcreme pumpkins is exciting to us!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 01:51 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Sending this to the top -- to give the San Diegons (Diegans?) a chance to respond.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I don't live in San Diego so I can't help with a specific location. All of the Targets should be stocked with candy corn & mellowcreme pumpkins, though. I bought & consumed some earlier today so I do understand the question!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure about SD - but up here in N. Calif, a Target is a Target is a Target. They've all been updated/remodeled over the last couple of years and all seem to have the exact same stock.

Just go w/ whichever is closest.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM

La Jolla is generally an upscale neighborhood, so I'd guess that is the best Target. They can vary according to area. I love my Target!

Where are you from?
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I live just north of San Diego. There is no Target in La Jolla. The Sports Arena one is older, but well-stocked and just fine!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:40 PM

You could order online.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM

I live in La Jolla and peanutbutter is correct there is no Target in La Jolla. The nearest one to La Jolla and the one I always go to is the one on Sports Arena Blvd. I don't know if it's the biggest or best but I like it a lot.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM

You could order online.
__________________________________________________ __________
LOL Now that's using your thinking cap!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM

janisj, for the most part you are correct but there is a Target in Mountain View that is really quite odd, smells musty and half of it has a lower ceiling than the other half and their stuff is not where it is in all the other Targets. So I think it's a fair question the OP is posting. Wouldn't want to go all the way to San Diego and then go to a bad Target, would you?
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Wouldn't want to go all the way to San Diego and then go to a bad Target, would you?"

To bed honest - to 'pickup a few things' like the OP mentions, it really wouldn't make much difference to me.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 03:46 AM

I like in Oklahoma. The Targets here definately are different. The Super Targets(one with complete line of groceries)are far bigger and stock more on both the grocery side and the traditional side of the store. So, I think it is a fair question. However, if it is strickly Halloween candy she is looking for, perhaps there are a lot of other stores that might carry them.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
BKP
Original Poster

Perfect! I'll send him to the Sports Arena one. That was the closest one anyway so he'll appreciate the convenience.

We're from Seattle but live in the UK. We had a few Targets to choose from back home and some were definitely nicer than others!

I could order online. But the only way to get Brach's Candy Corn and Mellowcreme pumpkins to the UK is to use an ebay grocery site. They fill up a shipping container about once a month and then send it to Europe. The cost is pretty steep.

My son is also obsessed with an American t.v. show called Super Hero Squad. The toys are unavailable here and again, paying for shipping would be a bit steep for a silly little toy.

But, when you add the toys, the candy corn, other various Halloween items unavailable to me, ds games, Carnation Instant Breakfast, American oatmeal, etc it does make sense.

I'm sure any expat -- or even someone living in a different region -- knows that treats from home are wonderful!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM

They now make candy corn in ten zillion flavors. Try them all. I really like those stupid Marshmallow Bunnies at Easter. They don't seem to make the marshmallow pumpkins much(they don't seem as popular as the bunnies). I actually went to the store and bought some halloween candy after reading this. Halloween candy just seems really fresh.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Ah . . . spiro -- it's nice to find a kindred candy corn spirit! I'm a purist and don't really like the new flavors like caramel apple. But I can eat my weight in the original flavor! My husband picked up some Ghost Peeps this afternoon. We're having a Halloween party in a couple of weeks. These little British kids won't know what hit em!