Nice SF restaurant near Hotel Palomar

Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Nice SF restaurant near Hotel Palomar

It will be our last night after a week in CA before we fly out, and I need a restaurant suggestion that's fairly near the HotelPalomar. Would like to keep it under $100 for the two of us...and preferably just a few blocks away, or a short cab-ride. No chains, no fast-food,(a view would be great but not necessary, and someplace that wouldn't have a really long wait without a reservation. (am I demanding or what??) Thanks for bearing with me!
Aug 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Fore those of us who live here and are not always familiar with the location of hotels (since we have no need to stay in them), why don't you tell us the location of the Mt Palomar?

Stu Dudley
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Lulu might be worth looking into.
Aug 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
dmlove

Stu, the Palomar is on 4th Street, just off Market.

Aug 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM

For under $100 (incl wine) I would dine at Sams (closed Sat & Sun). Belden Alley next to Sams has lots of outdoor places that are reasonably priced.

Stu Dudley
Aug 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM
SAB

Lulu's is a good suggestion but I would make a reservation. Other places nearby Oola, Ducca, Fringale, Le Charm, Plouf--a short cab ride Perbacco, Slanted Door. There are lots of places in the downtown/SOMA area, the biggest issue is no long wait without reservation (especially if it turns out to be a weekend).
Aug 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM

There is a MUNI entrance for Powell stop, 2 stops to Embarcadero. Check Ferry building, or Hyatt Embarcadero for restaurants.
Aug 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Kal

"Two" on Hawthorne at Howard.
Ate there last year and it's pretty good.
Aug 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Wow...I'm having a great time googling all of your suggestions....Belden Place looks fun.....since I've always loved seahorses, I was immediately "taken in" by the red seahorse above the door to Brendisi's (sp?). If you don't mind, keep your suggestions coming......and thanks to dmlove for clarifying where the Hotel Palomar is located!
Aug 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
dmlove

Colette, I think you'd enjoy Belden Alley and it will be in your price range (some of the others mentioned will not!)

Aug 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Seconding just about all of SAB's suggestions. LuLu and the iron-pan mussels - my favorite.

Did not like Ducca the second time I went there - I thought it had really fallen off.

Anchor and Hope is a good new seafood place - near Mission and Second, I believe. So is the Salt House, which is on Mission near First. These two restaurants are run by the same folks - they also have Town Hall, which is a bit further to the east, on Fremont Street at Howard. All of these would be a bit of a walk from Fourth Street - I'd recommend a cab back if it's later in the evening.
Aug 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additions to my list dovima! Concerning "cab rides"..an article in my Mar08 CondeNast magz made a reference to SF's "near useless public transp system, and a shortage of cabs" (???) DH has been having arthritis woes, and lots of walking won't work for us. Things may have changed since 2002, (sorry Memphis residents), but my BFF and I arr'd into the Memphis arpt, expected to hail a cab to our DT hotel,(11pm)and there were none to be had...not a good scene! My husband would NOT do well with that....We walked like crazy 14 yrs ago when we visited SF, but I see cabs in our future this time. Any comments?
Aug 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Well, as frustrating as S.F. Municipal Railway is, I would not call it useless by a long shot. For your purposes, the F Line (the antique streetcars) will take you up and down Market Street quite nicely, and the 30 Stockton bus will get you to North Beach. As for getting a cab post-dining, have the hostess or waiter call you one before you leave. It's worked for me many a time.
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you dovima....so the press once again exaggerates!?! (yes, I've now offended both the city of Memphis AND the press) In my last post I forgot to ask about Farallon and Waterbar....coming from the Midwest,those 2 seafood places sounded intriguing to me....and I'm a sucker for a restaurant with atmosphere......
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
SAB

I don't understand the Conde Nast slam of SF's public transportation. If it was referring to its reliability for every day communters, I might agree, but as far as visitors are concerned, it works pretty well. There is usually a bus, trolley, or streetcar that goes every place a visitor might want to go--I always think that MUNI works better for visitors than locals!!

As far as cabs, there are usually plenty downtown, but there are few on the streets in the neighborhoods.
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
SAB

Farallon and Waterbar will definitely require reservations and will almost certainly break the $100 for two barrier, especially Waterbar.
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SAB!
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Okay, disclaimer: I don't dine downtown very often--mainly because it's pricey.

Perbacco is quite good and I have been surprised by how little (relatively) I've spent there. You could easily take BART if you didn't want to MUNI.

Haven't been to Lulu in forever but I always enjoyed it in the past. Have also liked Coco500 but if you're a sucker for atmosphere, it's nice but just a restaurant.

Is Cafe de la Presse open for dinner? You could walk and it has atmo although the food is not fantastic.
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM

As an aside:

Has anyone tried Farmer Brown? I haven't and it's been on my radar for a couple of years or so. I always enjoyed Emmy's Spaghetti Shack. Similar vibe?

Sorry, Colette, it's on kind of a crusty corner, but not far from your hotel. If you're feeling adventurous, it might be the ticket.

http://www.farmerbrownsf.com/
Aug 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Belden Place is *always* my recommendation. If you're anywhere close... go there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO