Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nice hotel in Queens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nice-hotel-in-queens-318186/)

willowbshines Mar 6th, 2008 05:52 PM

Nice hotel in Queens?

we're going to queens this may for my brother's birthday.I haven't been back home in many years and don't know where to stay. Can someone please recommend a very nice hotel in Queens? I think his wedding will be in Jackson Heights. We probably won't get away again all spring or summer, so I'm thinking I want to make this a vacation of sorts, hence my request for a nice hotel vs. simply a place to stay. Traveling with three young adults - two boys can room together, girl should probably get her own room - three rooms all together. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

mclaurie Mar 7th, 2008 04:46 AM

There aren't any <i>very</i> nice hotels in Queens. There are a few ok hotels around La Guardia airport, but most are not near any transportation. Will you have a car? The Courtyard Marriott LGA seems to get the best reviews on tripadvisor, but it's not near transportation. They have a shuttle into Manhattan on weekends for $7/person but I don't know how you'd get back.

Hopstop.com is a website that will give you directions. If you put in the address of any hotel you find (take the dash out of the street address for Queens addresses) you'll get an idea of how far it is from bus or subway lines.

If you're not spending the entire time with family in Queens, you might want to consider staying in Manhattan, especially if it's in July or Aug. when Manhattan prices won't be so bad.

doug_stallings Mar 7th, 2008 05:03 AM

I think mclaurie has hit the nail on the head regarding Queens hotels. There's nothing really nice.

But frankly, I wouldn't stay near LaGuardia. I'd prefer to stay in Long Island City so that you're in a hotel that's easily accessible to and from Manhattan by subway. There's a decent Comfort Inn there, and that would be my choice. This is nothing great as hotels go, but it's reasonably priced.

nytraveler Mar 7th, 2008 12:14 PM

There are no nice hotels in Queens.

There are a couple of okay lower level chain hotels in Long Island City and 1 or 2 not so bad ones near the airports.

Otherwise your choices are either Manhattan or Nassau county. (Garden City Hotel is nice and not that far away but you'll need a car - which I would assume you'd eant for a wedding in Jackson Heights anyway.

janeq Mar 7th, 2008 02:57 PM

Another Queens consideration is Sheraton in Flushing. I went to a seminar there once, and though I did not stay in a room, the public areas looked very nice, asian theme,more upscale looking than La Quinta, Comfort Inn,etc. It is only a block or two from the 7 train which will take you to Jackson Heights. I live in Queens, and agree with the other posters that most of the other hotel/motels are pretty standard/run of the mill.