Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nice condos or 4 star resort reviews on Maui for honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My fiance and I are rethinking our honeymoon plans and are thinking maybe a nice condo would be good to help us save a little money. We were orginally thinking the Hyatt on Maui but everything adds up quick. Since the Hyatt is a five star maybe if we step down to a four star resort or nice condo maybe that would help meet our budget. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pam and Mike
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:51 PM

The Kaanapaali Alii is a condo complex run like a hotel. Large,beautiful apartments,many with direct ocean view. Located between the Marriott and the Westin on Kaanapaali Beach. Switchboard number is 808-667-1400. I'm headed there for my second visit on Saturday.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:37 PM

The Kaanapali is very expensive if you book directly through them. We stayed there last year and paid $360 a night for a bedroom and den. It was a total ripoff. I suggest that you book from a private party who owns a condo there and find out ahead of time if they've remodeled the unit recently. Our unit looked like it had never been remodeled and we both hated it. We were thinking of staying at The Hyatt next time.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:30 AM

You might want to check out
http://www.greathawaiivacations.com/index.html
After doing tons of research I just booked our September vacation with them. Seemed to have the most reasonable prices and they list condos and hotels for Maui.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM

Check out www.vrbo.com for condo rentals. (Vacation Rentals by Owner) Most have photos of every room. Look at the photos carefully. We always stay in a condo in Hawaii and we love the flexibility. Breakfast in the condo, lunch where ever we are and our choice for dinner: BBQ, cook in or eat out. Some of the condos are beautiful! The villas in Kapalua are especially nice. Some are two story (bedroom upstairs) with laundry, lanai, etc. Absolutely beautiful. We are staying in a one bedroom condo for $165/night in January 04.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:37 PM

Have you looked into the Outrigger in the Wailea area on Maui ?? Not quite the Hyatt - but still very nice and much less expensive. You would also be in a very nice area - with several other resorts around you in walking distance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM

The Outrigger in Wailea is a good suggestion... It has the Wailea location and is reasonably priced. Another possibility would be a condo rental at Grand Champions Villas in Wailea...there are 188 units so the complex is small but not too small...the grounds are beautifully maintained and the one bedroom units are spacious. A unit looking out on the golf course would be a great choice...try to book directly thru and owner and not thru the main rental company in Wailea which charges much, much more than renting directly thru an owner. Try www.ownerdirect for rentals at Grand Champions and other complexes. Have a great stay on Maui!! You'll leave wanting to return as soon as possible!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:51 PM

The Westin Maui on Kaanapali (next door to the Hyatt) is less expensive than the Hyatt, but just as nice. They have a nice network of pools with waterfalls, caves, and a beautiful lobby. We were going to Hawaii this year and I've been researching hotels in Maui and I found the Westin to be the least costly of the really nice four-star and up hotels in the area. That's why were able to stay there last time. Of all the hotels in the Kaanapali strip, in my opinion, the Hyatt and Westin are the best (you can tell when you walk the length of the beach and wander through each hotel).