Reload this Page >

Nice clean beaches near NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:26 AM
L

We are planning a trip to NYC with our 2 teen aged kids. We would like to include a day at the beach in our itinerary but don't exactly know where to go.

Any suggestion? We will be staying near the NJ Turnpike in the Secaucus area and we don't mind up to 1 1/2 hour drive.

Also, is Free parking a possibility?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Lois

In my opinion, you have two choices. Either head down to the Jersey shore or through the city and out to Long Island. I would bypass the city beaches for Jones Beach if you're heading out on the island. The beach parking for Jones Beach is $7 for the day, and there is pleny of parking most of the time. I'd head to the parking field 2 through 6, since that will be near more options. There are two pools [I believe parking lots 3 and 4] and the boarwalk goes the length between parking lot 1 and 6, with some interesting things to do along the way, including miniature golf and some sports courts and a putting range. I'd get there early and spend the day. There is a full service restaurant as well as fast food service, plenty of rest rooms, an ice cream/soda shop upstairs overlooking one of the pools, and a gift shop.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:21 AM
t

I agree with the prior post but would add that I would go to the jersey shore unless you are heading toward queens and Long Island. The drive from NJ to Jones beach is not worth it. To get to a town on the NJ shore take garden state pkwy...easy drive

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
L

Thanks to both of you, sound like Jones Beach would have all the convenience teens would enjoy. I did a little research and they also have concerts there.

My 16 yr old son was particularly interrested by the Jay Z concert on Aug.20th. This is a Rap concert but I wonder if it would be safe for a white 16 yr old to attend by himself?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 10:20 AM
L

Thanks to both of you, sound like Jones Beach would have all the convenience teens would enjoy. I did a little research and they also have concerts there.

My 16 yr old son was particularly interrested by the Jay Z concert on Aug.20th. This is a Rap concert but I wonder if it would be safe for a white 16 yr old to attend by himself?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
L

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:34 PM
ra

i don't know how you came to decide on Jones Beach, but I agree with the previous post. If you are in NJ, stay there and go south...otherwise you are basically cutting across all of NYC...it's much farther,. In NJ there are many good beaches, cleaner waters, etc. Try Ocean County, As for the Rap concert...I don't know if I would send my out of town teenage boy there. It's not a matter of black or white...it's a matter of the crowd could get rowdy and he doesn't know anyone...check out the Jersey shore, there are clubs there as well. Seaside Heights has nice beaches and is about an hour down the turnpike. Good luck.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:36 PM
ra

Also, there is free parking in NJ...but you do need a day badge, easily bought at the entrance to the beach, usually 5$ a head.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Anthony

A drive from NJ to Jones Beach can be anywhere from 2-3 hrs that's why residents of LI Almost NEVER fly out from Newark,since, as other posters have stated, they only way from LI to NJ or visa Versa is to cross Manhattan.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:33 PM
L

Thanks for the info ra and Anthony. Seaside Heights is 80 miles from our hotel and Jones Beach is about 40 miles, are you sure that it can take up to 3 hours to get to Jones Beach?

My son really did not mind going by himself as he really loves this Rap group. I was more worried about the crowd there. I'll try to see if they are coming down here soon so he can go to their concert closer to home some other time

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:44 PM
John

Hey L:

There is a small city between New Jersey and Jones Beach!! You could make it in 1 hour (at 5 AM) or three hours during rush hour. Stay in New Jersey, go down and enjoy the beaches and maybe head to Seaside Heights for a "Coney Island" experience!
JOHN

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Lois

I make the trip from Long Island to NJ frequently, and from out further on the island. There is no way the trip should take two hours. The only time it would take that long is in holiday traffic. I also know of no one who goes through Manhattan, unless it is a really off hour, traffic wise. While I'm not sure [without getting out a map] exactly what exit you're starting at on the Jersey Tpke., you can head either to the Gothals Bridge and go across Staten Island to the Belt Pkwy. to Southern State [which is my preference], or head to the George Washington Bridge and take the Cross Bronx to the Throgs Neck Bridge to Cross Island to Southern State to Meadowbrook Pkwy, which goes to Jones Beach. I would leave early in the day, definitely before 9 a.m [preferably by 8]. Do the route on mapquest. Plan to spend the whole day. There is plenty to do. If your son does go to the concert, you can spend the evening right outside the gate for the concert, overlooking Zach's Bay. It is such an easy place to be able to meet up with him afterward. It's a pretty spot to tailgate with friends if anyone else is coming. And, if he should get tickets for the concert, I would plan to park in the Zach's Bay parking lot and use the under-the-road walkway to get to the boardwalk and beach. The beach is right across the road, with an underpass for beach and boardwalk access. The restaurant is right there as well, and is reasonably priced with beach views [but don't expect great food]. There is sometimes outdoor entertainment by the restaurant as well. I don't know where you're coming from, but in my opinion, Jones Beach State Park is not 'just' about going to a beach, and has so much more to offer, and is a whole different experience and definitely worth doing.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Lois

I may be making a wrong assumption that you are doing this trip on a weekend. If you are planning it for mid-week, which would involve rush hour traffic, then you would probably be better off heading to the Jersey shore. If you head out to Jones Beach during the week, you would need to leave before 6 a.m., OR deal with traffic till you crossed the Verranzano bridge, at which point you will be heading away from rush hour traffic] and under no circumstances consider driving through Manhattan.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:09 PM
yes

Most rap fans are 16 year old white boys from the suburbs. Your son will be very safe.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:32 PM
L

Thanks Lois and Yes,

The concert is on a Tuesday so we would have to leave before 6 am. We are going to be in Secaucus, NJ close to exit 17 of the NJ Turnpike.

The closest way would be to take the Lincoln Tunnel then the Midtown Tunnel and up the 495 (Long Island Expressway) but it would also mean going thru Manhattan... Is it that bad?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:43 AM
John

L

Take the NJ tpk (rt 95, east spur up to the George Washington Bridge. This section will have the most traffic, but it is bettr than the Lincoln and thru city. After GWB get on the cross Bronx Expy and headd to the Throggs Neck Bridge. Go over bridge and head to the Southern State Pkwy and to Jones Beach

JOHN

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Lois

Okay, we've had a family discussion on how you should handle this. Another option, since it is during the week, is to leave after 9 a.m., since you will be there all day anyway, and during the week, the beaches won't fill up as early. Leaving after rush hour is no guarantee of no traffic, just that it won't be as bad.
You will have no problem getting parking at one of the lots, since parking is so plentiful there. And, Zach's Bay parking lot is huge. If you choose to park at one of the other beaches and move later, admission to Zach's Bay parking is free at night for the concerts. You will see when you get there, just how easy it will be to arrange for a spot to meet up with your son after the concert, and you will be right there to know yourself when it's over.
The directions on the previous post are what I would also advise. Once on Southern State [exit for this road is from the left lane], take that to Meadowbrook Pkwy. south. You can purchase parking at the toll gate and then drive straight to Jones Beach, just a few minutes further. When you go over the bridge, stay to the left. You don't want the West End beaches [no boardwalk or other activities].
Hope you have a great visit!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
zootsi

There are several NJ beah towns you might be interested in, each with it's own flavor:
Point Pleasant - Nice beach, boardwalk, rides, games, etc, etc. Family oriented.
Manasquan - More quiet than Point Pleasant, just across the inlet. Nice beach. Seaside Heights and Seaside Park - another peninsula, very busy, long boardwalk, tons of rides, nice beaches. A New Jersey teen mecca. Seaside Park is more quiet however. Avoid Asbury Park, Neptune, Bradley Beach, as they are somewhat run down.Other towns, such as Spring Lake, have beautiful beaches, but are not geared towards day trippers. With most NJ beachs, parking can be tricky, you will probably have to pay about $8 or so, and there is a small fee to get on the beach.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Persona Non Grata

I currently live in New Jersey, in the Secaucus area, and face the problem of which beach to go to every week it's sunny. I either head south to Sea Bright (near Sandy Hook), the closest beach on the Jersey shore, or head out to Jones Beach. Travel time is virtually the same.

Just my opinion but I prefer Jones Beach hands down to the Jersey shore. Jones Beach is miles and miles of beach. The Jersey shore are towns with beaches. The concept of a "boardwalk" is very big in Jersey. Knock down the milk bottles and win a cheap stuffed animal for your gal, that type of thing. The Jersey shore beaches charge $5-$7 PER PERSON, Jones Beach charges $7 for a carload. The sand is nicer and beach is wider on Long Island. The theatre has been there for years and is a great venue and is professionally run and very safe, even at a rap concert.

To sum up, I've been to both Jones Beach and the Jersey shore many many times and believe that the Jersey shore is overrated, but it's all really just a matter of taste. The parents may prefer Jones but the kids might like the shore because there's a little more to do.

To Jones from Secaucus: Lincoln Tunnel through Manhattan (35th 34th Street) to Queens-Midtown Tunnel, to the LIE to Northern State Pkwy exit (exit 38 or thereabouts) to Meadowbrook Pkwy (see signs for Jones Beach) to Jones Beach. Very easy.

To Jersey shore from Secaucus: NJ Turnpike south to Garden State Pkwy (exit 11 or thereabouts). Continue to exit of beach town you want to go to, get off and head east.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Anthony

Lois:
Your instructions from NJ to Jones Bech take you truough some of the Metro area's busiest roads; The Belt Parkway and Southern State are ALWAYS jammed; and your advice to head ALL the way North to the George Washington bidge to Cross Bronx is rediculous, making no sense whatsoever.
The trip from Secaucus to Jones Beach at the LEAST would be 1.5 hrs, closer to 2. I live in Manhattan, and reglarly out to Westbury, LI to shop. The avg. driving time is one hr. Secaucus is west of Manhattan and Jones Beach is further south of Westbury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -