Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nice Clean B&B Chelsea, Village etc (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nice-clean-b-and-b-chelsea-village-etc-1009034/)

turbokid Mar 20th, 2014 02:57 PM

Nice Clean B&B Chelsea, Village etc

Hi,

I have a work trip to NYC July 16-19. I am looking for a nice, clean and hopefully groovy b&b in Chelsea, Village etc. Location is more important to my wife and I than amenities of a lodging establishment. To keep the boss happy I am trying to keep a room under $180.00/night. Is that possible in this part of NYC? I appreciate all the help.

Blessings,

Turbokid

nytraveler Mar 20th, 2014 05:10 PM

There aren't many B&Bs in Manhattan - the housing market is such that there are few buildings available for them - and those generally so expensive that owners aren't interested in paying guests.

However, there are a few inns in that area and perhaps a couple of B&Bs. I would search here for recos from tourists - but when looking at prices remember that what is quoted is plus 18% tax - so you really need to look for something at $150.

starrs Mar 20th, 2014 06:23 PM

I doubt you'll find anything at that price point.

Maybe Chelsea Pines Inn - they offer a free breakfast.

I checked Incentra Village and they are $100 over your price point.

Maybe one of the new Holiday Inns, etc. in Chelsea?

330east Mar 20th, 2014 06:29 PM

The inn on 23rd St.
The Inn at Irving Place

doug_stallings Mar 20th, 2014 06:52 PM

Chelsea Pines is a great location and decently priced.

You might also check the Gem Hotel in Chelsea. But it's not a B&B.

And the Larchmont on 11th in the Village, but it has mostly shared baths.

The Gershwin is groovy but not quite in Chelsea.

But that's a really low rate for Manhattan.

Peteralan Mar 20th, 2014 06:59 PM

Another recommendation from me for Chelsea Pines. However not sure whether you will get it for the price you quoted.

starrs Mar 20th, 2014 09:20 PM

The location isn't what you want, it's definitely not "groovy" - although the rooftop bar with a view of the Empire State Building could be called groovy - but it does offer a free breakfast -

The LaQuinta Manhattan is $159 for your dates. With taxes. you'd be a little over your price point but not much.

It's not fancy but I like it. Close to Macy's at Herald Square and a subway on the corner. Isn't a bad location for your wife to explore from while you are working.

nytraveler Mar 21st, 2014 08:31 AM

Chelsea Pines is very well-reviewed/charming - but their rates are way above (more than double) your desired price - which is VERY low for NYC.

Also it is a gay-friendly property, although everyone is welcome - and the building is a 5-story walk-up - no elevator.

If I were you I would check out some budget chains to see if you can find something for your price on Hotwire or similar.