Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nice but Inexpensive hotels near Times Square and where to buy "Wicked" tickets at a discount

Search

Nice but Inexpensive hotels near Times Square and where to buy "Wicked" tickets at a discount

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my husband and I and our two kids are heading to New York City for 2 nights in July and are looking for a clean, nice hotel near Times Square. We just need one room with 2 queen (or even double) beds. I was hoping to find something for under $175 - $150/night -- Am I dreaming? Also, if anyone can tell me where the best place is to get broadway show tickets that would be awesome. We really want to see Wicked, but, at over $115 a ticket not sure our budget can handle it. Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM

You should book something cancelable now, but also keep an eye out on websites like Travelzoo as your date gets closer. July is GENERALLY a month for lower prices and you might get a nice deal.

In the meantime, you might want to look at the Edison Hotel. It is not fancy, it's an older hotel (and clean and comfortable) but they have something called a "combo room" with 1 double bed and 2 twins in a separate room. Call the hotel direct for the best rate, they do offer AAA but it's not on their website. They also have a room with 2 doubles for $200 (web rate - call for AAA). 228 West 47th (btw. 8th & Broadway). Tel: 212-840-5000 http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/index.asp

If that isn't what you are looking for try one of the Affinia hotels. They have little kitchen areas which may come in handy and the hotels are very nice. Midtown is easy to get around and you'll have no problem getting to/from the theaters. www.affinia.com
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM

The only way you can find this kind of hotel is with some kind of deal. Look at Hotels.com, Priceline, etc. In July, you can sometimes get a hotel at this price, but it will be a difficult search. Don't limit yourself to the immediate Times Square area. With the subway, you can stay virtually anywhere but the Financial District and get a good rate. But you will find that weekend rates are lower than weekday rates, so look for a Saturday/Sunday night stay for the best rates. The Edison is a good budget hotel and right in the thick of things. Try the Holiday Inn Express that is near Times Square or the Marriott Courtyard, but both are probably more than $200 a night.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Unfortunately, with WICKED still selling out, I don't know of any way to get a discounted seat, just the cheapest seats in the back sections of the theatre. It is a great show though, and I'm sure your kids would never forget it.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Given your many similar posts, I'm guessing you are driving. Check out the Travel Inn (which also has free parking). In Boston, the Midtown is similar (a motor inn), and also has double/doubles, and free parking.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I most always stay at the Super 8 and excellent Times Square location and walkable from Wicked Gershwin Theater. Keep checking on rates, easy to cancel and rebook. My last July rate dropped $60/night. But you need to budget big for the taxes.

You are not going to find and discount tickets for Wicked, book what you can NOW.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM

If you're driving definitely consider the Travel Inn - the only hotel in the city with free parking - it will save you at least $30+ per night. And I think all the rooms fit 4 - rare in NYC (but double check). Figure rates quoted plus 15% to 18% tax.

No discounts on Wicked - get tickets NOW for the best choice of seats.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM

$150-175 is pretty low for NYC these days. Unfortunately, with 4 to a room, you can't bid on Priceline which is one way to get a room at that price. Priceline only guarantees a room with 1 bed for 2 people in NYC.

In addition to the Travel Inn which is indeed a good solution with or w/o a car, Radio City apartments would be ideal if they have availability. radiocityapartments.com

I agree you should book something now that's cancellable and keep an eye out for specials on travelzoo.com closer to the trip.

Wicked has occasionally had some discounts on broadwaybox.com---but not often. Wicked does have a daily lottery, but each person if selected can only get 2 tix, so for 4 of you, even if you're lucky, not all of you may get selected. Here's the description of how the lottery works (from playbill.com)

Wicked
General Rush: Each day, two hours prior to show time (11:30 AM for 2 PM matinees; 12:30 PM for 3 PM matinees; 4:30 PM for 7 PM performances; 5:30 PM for 8 PM performances), people who present themselves at the Gershwin Theatre box office will have their names placed in a hat. 30 minutes later, names will be drawn for 28 front-row seats at $25 each. This lottery is available only in-person at the box office, with a limit of two tickets per person, cash only. Photo-ID.

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM

My husband and I took our two teenaged nieces for a weekend at the Flatotel near Times Square at 135 West 52nd. www.flatotel.com

Strange name but good place. "Flats" (apartments) are for rent--we had a queen bed, Murphy bed, and rollaway bed. TWO bathrooms!(a must with teenage girls.)

I forget exactly the price, but for 4 people, it was a bargain. Full kitchen and dining area. Large space. Funky, trendy lobby.

There are other short-term apartment-type rentals in the Murray Hill section and the upper West Side. Search "suite hotels" in NYC and see what turns up.

Have fun!
--QOTD
Weekends are the best rates because they rent to actors, businesspeople and such during the week.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
PackedAndReadytoGo

Try "The Salisbury Hotel located on W57th between 6th & 7th Aves. It's across the street from Carnegie Hall and a ten minute walk to the center of Times Square and less than 5 mins. to Central Park (2 blocks away). Go to their website:
http://www.nycsalisbury.com/ There is a "Special Offers" link... as for the People of Faith Rate. It ends prior to your trip dates, but maybe they will give it to you! Just pray hard before contacting them!!!

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM

There is also a Hilton Garden Inn very close to Times Square. But am not sure about the rates.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
GoTravel

The NY Salisbury is owned by the Baptist Church that is next door.

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM

bookmarking
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM

For hotels -- check the Belvedere. It is a great area of Times Square and we got a rate for a King at $169 per night. Incredible for NYC. BUT...that rate only came up two days before we checked in. Their rates change often so make a cancellable reservation and then keep checking rates. The room was CLEAN and HUGE for NYC but the noise level from the street was awful. If you are a light sleeper bring something that will make "white noise" to drown out the street noise, or ask for a higher room. Also, be sure to ask for a remodeled room since about half the hotel as been remodeled.

We just saw Mama Mia & Grease on Broadway. Mama Mia was great, but had mature themes, and Grease was no better than a high school musical. I also heard bad reviews about Little Mermaid.

Have a great time!

Martha
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

Martha, why are you replying to a thread that is a year old?????
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM

Check out biddingfortravel.com and then look at priceline.com. As others have suggested, have a reservation you can cancel just in case. I felt lucky when I got something for $230 a night through priceline last Oct.

Good luck!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Bidding (name your own price) on priceline is not a good idea. It only guarantees rooms for 2, and many NYC hotels only have rooms for 2.

This is a tight budget. And rooms for 4 are harder to come by. You may consider staying in Queens near a subway if you need to keep that hotel price down. There have been some psots here talking about Queens hotels.

You should go to Kayak.com, plug in your dates and see what comes up. It compares hotels prices on several different websites and give you the best deals. You can then filter the results by price and/or location.

I don't beleive there have been any Wicked discounts to date. Check broadwaybox.com for discount listings about a month or so before your visit. July is a slow month so maybe you'll be lucky.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM

This thread is from January 2007.

The OP's trip was last July.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Milford Plaza 8th and 45th is a great hotel near Times Square. It is definantly not a Hilton or Marriott but clean and in a great location. They do offer 2 double bed rooms.