Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nice accomodations in Olympic National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with decent accomodations in or near the park? The settings look lovely but the places look very rustic/dated. Any insight would be most appreciated!!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:41 PM

We stayed two nights at Kalaloch Lodge last winter. Yes, winter. That's why we could get a reservation on the spur of the moment. But it was lovely--beautiful snow, right on the water, and few other tourists around. We stayed in a cabin, built a fire, and just enjoyed relaxing. (The northern roads were blocked so we were forced to relax!) However, it is a long ways from many of the things people want to see and do. Most of the national park facilities are a bit rustic, but we've always enjoyed them. If you're a five-star hotel traveler, you won't like it, but if you're more adventurous, go for it.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Are you a couple or a family? There really isn't much by way of high end family accommodation out there--your best bet may be a vacation rental. If you're a couple, Colette's B&B outside of Port Angeles is absolutely wonderful.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Lake Crescent Lodge is our favorite place to stay. It is rustic, but it a beautiful setting. It's where Laura Bush stayed a few years ago when she visited ONP.

Best Western Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles is a well managed place. It has fresh, good-sized rooms with comfortable beds and all usual comforts. We like the ones facing the golf course. For a small charge they serve a very good breakfast. Starbucks is next door.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM

We divided our time in the area between Lake Crescent Lodge and the Harborview Inn in Port Townsend. You almost need two different places to see it all, from Hurricane Ridge, Ruby Beach and do not miss Hoh Rainforest! Very cool. Just outside of hoh is the "Hard Rain Cafe", a true 'dive' but with super good burgers and interesting tourists - like you and i

The rooms at Crescent Lake Lodge are a bit nicer than the average nat'l park lodge, and most have balconies. Be sure to request a room with one. They have rocking chairs and a great view of the lake and roaming deer while you have morning coffee.

Port Townsend has more of an artsy, nautical vibe than pt angeles does, having waterfront shoppes and cafes, marinas ect. We also did a whale watching excursion from port townsend with Cap't Jacks.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well you don't want to stay at Kalaloch Lodge, for sure!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I so agree, suze, and much worse is Log Cabin Resort--the absolute pits of a place with staff to match.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM

suze - I'm so glad I read this post! I was on the fence about booking at Kalaloch - some terrible reviews on another site - and the prices didn't seem to gel with what the accommodations were, so my hubby and I are staying a couple nights at Lake Crescent Lodge and a couple at Lake Quinault Lodge. I've read good things about both.

Buonconvento - my recommendation to you would be to book as soon as you know your definite plans...I'm not traveling until September but when I called last week to book rooms, there wasn't much left for me to choose from!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I was there a few years back on a long weekend trip planned by my family (we're all adults and live in different places). Boy did I *not* enjoy that place. And I generally am a very easy going person. But I honestly don't care much for the rain forest either (just my personal feelings) so the trip was off to a bad start, right from the beginning for me.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM

It is such a comfort to know that I'm not the only one who isn't blown away by the long drive in and out to see the rain forest.

I do, though, enjoy the easy hike from Lake Crescent Lodge to Marymere Falls which goes through a forest that looks like a rain forest but that gets a couple inches too few of annual rainfall to make in officially so.

Give me a TROPICAL rain forest.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I AM blown away by the Rainforest, but it's too bad there isn't a nice place to stay in it (I mean "nice" in a basic, but enjoyable way such as Paradise Lodge), but Kadaloch, while the setting is gorgeous, was a disappointment to us. We stayed in the annex. Also disappointing was the restaurant which we had to wait an hour to get into. However, like I said, The Ho Rainforest made it all worthwhile.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM

This is my first trip to ONP so I can't wait to report back when I have an opinion of what I enjoyed most. It will definitely be an adventure! (that includes the lodging!)
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM

I'm just more a beach or mountain person myself I guess. Soggy ole rainforests don't float my boat
;-)

I love the coast out at Graylands, Ocean Shores, etc. and I LOVE the trip over the north Cascades like toward and to the Mazama/Winthrop area.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM

suze - speaking of Ocean Shores, I booked a night at the Quinault Beach Resort there. Got the recommendation from another Fodorite and read some good reviews on tripadvisor. Trying to experience a little bit of each - beach, mountains, rainforest, etc. Anything in the Ocean Shores area I shouldn't miss?
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM

It's so interesting reading what other people like and dislike--it really goes to show there's no one size fits all trip, even to the same area!

I personally think the Hoh is amazingly gorgeous. I was out there last summer for probably the 6th or 7th time and I was blown away by how beautiful, green and lush it is. Of course seeing elk just off the trail was a bonus.

Ocean Shores, on the other hand, gets a big yawn or even an "ick"--it feels schlocky-touristy to me. The Quinault Beach Resort is fine though in part because it's not right in town. I prefer the beach/coast further north where the geography is more interesting IMO, not as flat.

So Buffy, you're staying at the Quinault Beach Resort, Lk Quinault AND Lk Crescent? Those will be nice contrasts I think.

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM

i see enough moss in Seattle every day ;-)
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM

NWW - yes those places plus our first night in Port Angeles at the Best Western. I agree, I'll get a little bit of everything and the hubby and I are definitely agreed that we aren't going to push ourselves too much to see everything. If we happen to miss something because we just want to sit and relax at the lodge, that's just what we're gonna do.

It's also very interesting for me to hear everyone's opinions, as I personally do not have one....yet. I'm from the Midwest so anytime I can see something that we don't have here (mountains, beach and rainforest) then I know I'll be perfectly content. But after the trip, I'm sure I'll have a favorite!
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM

LOL, suze ;-).

Buffy, we'll all be interested to hear your impressions!