Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Niagara Falls - Marriott or Sheraton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/niagara-falls-marriott-or-sheraton-171817/)

Denise Mar 13th, 2002 05:36 PM

Niagara Falls - Marriott or Sheraton

We only have one night with two kids (ages 5 and 11) for Niagara. What's the nicest hotel? Should we consider the Marriott or the Sheraton on the Canadian side? Or should we skip staying in Niagara Falls and stay in Niagara on the Lake? Thanks.

Kathy Mar 13th, 2002 06:41 PM

I don't know anything about either hotel but with kids your kids ages I'd opt for the one with an indoor pool. Niagara Falls Ontario is a little on the tacky side with more to do than Niagara on the Lake which is a picturesque, quaint town with wonderful hotels, restaurants and shops. It all depends on what you're looking for but my preference would be Niagara on the Lake.

Cheryl Mar 14th, 2002 03:24 AM

If you only have one night stay in Niagara Falls. Get a room with a view. It will be worth it. Sorry I can't comment on hotels. I live close enough to drive there in 15 minutes. Have fun.

Cheryl Mar 14th, 2002 04:37 AM

I love Niagara-on-the-Lake and would definitely stay there if it was just me and my husband. But with kids, and only one night, I would definitely recommend Niagara Falls ... try to get a room overlooking the falls. I think that both the Sheraton and Marriott are nice ... for only one night I'd go for the one in which you can get a better view. Yes, there are "tacky" parts of the Canadian side ... however, your kids may find this area fun to spend a short time in. The area down by where you view the falls is very nice. If the weather is warm enough, don't miss the Maid of the Mist. The lines are usually long but they move pretty fast ... you will get very wet though! Also, keep in mind that Niagara-on-the-Lake is only a 20-30 minute ride north by car, and the ride is a very nice one up the river. You could easily drive up there for dinner in the evening ... get there an hour or so early to give yourself time to walk around the town. Hope this helps!

Layla Mar 14th, 2002 05:20 AM

Hi<BR>Partner and I (No kids) stayed (2 nights)at the Marriott in early Feb this year.<BR>We got a very good deal direct through the hotel website.<BR><BR>Pool & Stuff:<BR>The Marriott has a Leisure area at the bottom of the hotel including: pool Whirlpool (Two) Sauna, Steam room, Small Gym. We saw some families there - Their kids were using the pool and seemed to be enjoying themselves.<BR><BR>About the rooms:<BR>We stayed in a Junior presidential suite which was fine (With it being off season and the superb exchange rate meant we got such a good deal and since it was our first visit to the falls we felt it was worth booking the better room)<BR>The view was spectacular! (The room was what I expect from a quality hotel nothing more it had a separate sitting room (Small) and a jacuzzi bath) but nothing amazing, we also had access to the concierge room (The Usual Free snacks, drinks etc).<BR>YOU MUST make sure you get a room with a view.<BR><BR>Restaurant:<BR>Food was fine Menu a bit predictable.<BR><BR>There is no on-site parking so it is valet and it takes them a good 5-10 mins to go get your car. A bit of a hassle if you are the kind of people that are popping in and out of the hotel often.<BR><BR>Niagara on the Lake is beautiful If you stay at the falls at least try to visit it for the day. There are many wineries (SP?) nearby if you enjoy wine.<BR><BR>When we were there The Maid of the Mist was not running but there were other activities — for example The walk behind the falls.<BR><BR>Yes Niagara is tacky in parts but I for one am glad I went. Have a great time!<BR>If you have any more questions about the hotel post them and I will try to answer them.

Rachel Mar 14th, 2002 05:27 AM

I agree with the other posters; with children, you will be happier at Niagara Falls than NOTL. Try to make a trip to the Butterfly Conservatory which is about 10-15 minutes away from the Falls. It's really beautiful and your kids will love it. Also. if the weather is decent, it's really fun to walk across the Rainbow Bridge (connecting USA and CAnada), instead of driving across it. It goes right accross the Niagara River and it gives you a beautiful view of the Falls.

Kathy Mar 14th, 2002 07:41 AM

I wasn't thinking about your kids when I said I prefer Niagara on the Lake. I agree with the other posters, with kids you should stay in Niagara Falls and visit Niagara on the Lake.

John Mar 14th, 2002 10:48 AM

One of the best thing your family will ever see is the Butterfly Conservitory!!Thousands of butterflys in an enclosed garden.bring a camera.

Sara Mar 14th, 2002 05:47 PM

We stayed at the Marriott last summer, and our room had a spectacular view of the Falls - huge floor to ceiling windows. I think almost every room must have a good view, because all of the rooms are on the side of the hotel facing the Falls (the exception might be the rooms at the ends of the halls). It was convenient, too, because it was very near the funicular that you could ride up and down to the Table Rock Complex next to the Falls - I don't know if it is in operation year round, however if it's running when you're there it makes getting around easy. The hotel also has an indoor pool that my kids enjoyed, although I didn't go swimming myself so can't comment on how big it is. If it's running when you're there (I believe it starts in May), be sure to go on the Maid of the Mist, it's truly awesome.

Denise Mar 16th, 2002 02:11 PM

Thanks so much! All your recs were helpful.

Stephanie P. Mar 17th, 2002 07:11 AM

Denise:<BR><BR>I know that the Sheraton is a fallsview hotel so I'd try that one.<BR><BR>I'd prefer Niagara Falls, Canada, anyday of Niagara-on-the-Lake. More to do. Some places are tacky but the falls are just gorgeous and the Canadian side is so beautiful w/the gorge, park and butterfly exhibit. Remember to go to Goat's Island too.

zelda Mar 23rd, 2002 06:13 PM

Our family of 4 went to Niagara in June of 2001. We stayed on the Canadian side because we could just park the car for a few days and walk to almost everything. The Maid of the Mist is not to be missed. Our one big mistake was the breakfast buffet at the Skylon Tower. Yes the view was great, and the servers were trying hard but the food was DISGUSTING !! hot items were stone cold, cold items luke warm. Even the kids knew it was just plain nasty. Save your money !!