NH: Manchester, Concord, or Nashua hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to find a hotel in one of these cities/towns. There are a bunch of midrange hotels in the area--Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Courtyard, Radisson, Springfield Suites.
Are any of these (or others you can suggest) in better locations than the others in terms of convenience,access to highway, near restaurants, easy to find when driving at night, safety?
Some of the hotels I've seen are in downtown Manchester--how is that vs. suburban locations?
I've never been in the area, so I don't have a clue.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Much depends on where you will be going/what you will be doing.

All the major chains are well located and convenient to highways and restaurants, and also easy to find at night.

The nicest places are also those with refrigerators, microwaves, kitchens, such as Hilton Garden or Homewood Suites.

Excellent is the Residence Inn in Merrimack, about midway between Nashua and Manchester. Close to highway but in a more pleasant setting, with many good restaurants, and many fast food outposts, and a large supermarket, nearby.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, one of the things I want to do is see the Currier Museum and the Frank Lloyd Wright house.
There are some hotels pretty close to the museum in Manchester--one says it's near the minor league baseball park. Is downtown
Manchester an OK place to be on weekends, or will it be dead?
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Manchester is much quieter weekends, but not "dead".

If your destinations are in Manchester, it's much more convenient to stay there. But, it's a small city, where parking is plentiful, and free or cheap, so you can select a hotel based on quality and rate.

You do need a very good map of Manchester to get around because of all the one-way streets. But, getting to/from the highways is very well marked all over.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM

The Hilton Garden Inn does overlook the Fisher Cats stadium, and could be fun if there is a game when you are in town. The Radisson is right in the center of downtown and most convenient for walking to restaurants. I recommend Piccola Italia and Richard's Bistro while you're here!
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions,
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM

A friend is a volunteer tour guide at the Zimmerman house! Manchester is probably the best choice for the variety of restaurants in the area. The Radisson is also known as the Center of NH where events are held. The Verizon Center is across the street. There will be a lot of traffic and parking congestion during events. The Hilton Garden Inn has decks overlooking the ball field if you like baseball but it's a little bit of a hike to downtown. They have to guard their parking lot during ball games. Manchester has a new parking meter system using kiosks which is handy because you can use a credit card and your time is good even if you move your car to a different place. If you chose Merrimack, you might get hit with a toll everytime you got on the highway so get alternate driving directions. If you choose Concord, the Holiday Inn is at the end of Main St so you can walk downtown. On Friday nights most stores, if they are open, close at 7pm unless it's first Friday of the month. Depending on when you will be there, I think they have free concerts during the summer. We like the Siam Orchid across the street. Barley House is good. Surprisingly the Holiday Inn has a local restaurant Nonni's operating there. Great pizza and small selection of entrees. You would also be within walking distance of the NH History museum. The Marriott Courtyard is right off the hwy but one exit north in a newly developed commercial area. Pleasant for walking but you would have to drive to other restaurants and stores. Don't miss the League of NH Crafts store in Concord and several local galleries. Also the new Red River theater (movies) and Capital Center for the Arts. Concord's downtown is prettier IMO than Manchester's. There are several hotels at the south end of Concord right near the hwy. Decent area but not within walking distance of nice shops. Comfort Inn etc. (Hall Street) Concord is only 15 minutes north of Manchester. If you want to avoid the toll booth on Rt 93, travel rt 3A (but slower). Hippo is a free weekly guide to events so be sure to get a copy. You might be surprised at how much is going on even though the streets look quiet.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

dfnh, that was very helpful detailed info!

I don't mind staying in any of the cities and driving in for the museums. Just looking for a safe comfortable place. If it's in an area where I can walk to restaurants, fine. If not, a short drive is not a problem.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM

Check out the Currier Gallery of Art website at http://www.currier.org. They have some recommendations on lodging and restaurants as well such as the
Ash Street Inn, Bedford Village Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and the
Radisson Hotel Manchester. I used to be a docent at the Currier and know that you will enjoy it very much. It is a small museum but you will be pleasantly surprised at its collection.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM

piccola in manchester has gone downhill. richard's bistro and cotton are good.

if you go to nashua to eat, they have surf, michael timothy's, and cucina toscana that are all very good. unum's and saffron bistro recently opened and i've heard mixed reviews. seedling cafe has amazing sandwiches made with local items and mostly organic.

pickity place is very cute. it's a nice luncheon destination...it's also the home that the illustrations for little red riding hood were based off of. www.pickityplace.com

parker's maple barn is also fun for a pancake breakfast...unfortunately sugar season is over www.parkersmaplebarn.com

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

It's sounding like this will be a fun little trip. I'm a big Frank Lloyd Wright fan, so I try to get to any sites I can (and I know that the Zimmerman is one of his "Usonian" houses, so I know what to expect).
I'm also really looking forward to seeing the Currier. I hadn't heard of it until recently, and I guess I'm lucky to be going after the big expansion.

I saw a package that the Currier offers with the Ash Street Inn(one that yellowrose noted). Is that a good place to stay (location and rooms)?

The restaurant suggestions are very handy, and if any of you have other ideas for any interesting places to see or events (late July, I think)in that area, I'd appreciate it
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Bedford Village Inn in Bedford, NH. It's the next town over from Manchester and about a 7 minute drive to downtown Manchester.
Go to their website. Lovely place.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jaya. The place looks lovely but is probably a little pricey for me for this trip
(though they have the screwiest website--no prices listed, even under "rates" and you have to create a user name and password just to get a price quote--no thanks! :0 )
I'll be spending very little time indoors, so I was thinking more along the lines of a midpriced chain hotel.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear about the screwy website. I live local and know the place by reputation and so have not gone to their website.
The Radisson or Hilton Garden Inn are both in good, safe downtown Manchester locations. You would not have to worry about arriving at night.
The Radisson puts you on Elm Street which is lined with restaurants and shops to walk to.
The Hilton Garden is new - about 3 years old, but not right on the main street. Maybe about and extra 5 - 7 minute walk up to Elm St.