Kayaking the Wailua River without a Guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to go kayaking down the Wailua River with my family without a guide but I need some opinions first. Would I be missing out on some interesting information about sites to see along the way that a guide could share? Also, is there anyway we could get lost (fork in the river) on our way to the waterfall? Is there still a company that rents the kayaks right next to the river to get an early start or should I rent the night before?
Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 08:47 AM

You can rent from a number of companies near the river. Some will even meet you at the river with their kayak, so that you don't have to pack it on your rental car. Check the visitor info kiosk in the Lihu`e Airport baggage claim area for free brochures (and be sure to pick up the "101 Things to Do on Kaua`i" booklet, too).

You can definitely do the river without a guide! Just remember that the tour boats have right-of-way, and you'll be fine:
http://kayakers.com/kauai_rivers.htm

Get a guidebook which includes kayaking route details -- either before you arrive, or here on Kaua`i (Wal-Mart has an excellent selection, and low prices).
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM

We rented kayaks for the Wailua river in September from Kayak Kauai. You don't necessarily need a guide. We picked up our kayaks at the kayak shop so we had to load and unload ourselves which was kind of a hassle. There are kayak companies that will meet you at the river with the boats and I think that's a better idea. They gave us a map showing the interesting sights (Fern Grotto, the village from Outbreak). They also showed us where to tie up the boat in order to hike to the Secret Fall (about 1 mile each way).