Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Newport, RI -lodgingHELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/newport-ri-lodginghelp-40566/)

RickM. Mar 21st, 1999 03:37 PM

Newport, RI -lodgingHELP

Dear Fodorites, <BR> <BR>We are planning a trip to Newport , RI in the summer of 2000. My wife wants me to start looking NOW for lodging, so I am ( I am well trained). Anyway, any information on charming inns, cozy B&Bs, or deluxe hotels would be appreciated. Also, restaurant tips are welcome. Thanks and feel free to email at the above address.

Debbie Mar 21st, 1999 04:38 PM

Hi Rick - Summer of 2000 and you're looking now...WOW. There are numerous B&B's in historic Newport. We stayed at one called Jailhouse Inn - and the name is self descriptive. In Newport's heyday, the placed served as the community jail. The iron jaildoors are still in place, the 'registration' area has the 'cage' effect, and in case you're wondering, the bed linens are (you guessed it) stripped !! Although not luxurious by any means, the history is quite unique. I would say, however, the food was just so-so. <BR> <BR>If you want a nice hotel, try The Hotel Viking. Very nice, beautiful dining areas, good food/service and it's convenient to everything. <BR> <BR>Don't miss touring the Newport 'cottages'. The Breakers is breathtaking. In fact, they all are quite lovely, and most opulent. <BR> <BR>You might want to include Block Island on your trip if you have time. <BR> <BR>Have fun wherever you wind up !!

stephanie Mar 22nd, 1999 09:51 AM

We stayed at the Beechtree Inn B&B in Newport which had good locatin in a neighborhood near the harbor & mansions. It has beautiful rooms, balconies, and the biggest full breakfast in Newport (their claim). It was a great breakfast. My only complaint - the owner smokes, and it permeates the whole place - if you smoke may not bother you. <BR> <BR>We looked at some other places that we'd like to have stayed in but couldn't because we were with our very young (well behaved) children who were not allowed. Don't let that scare you away from Beechtree - they don't normally allow them, but made an exception for us, worked out great. <BR> <BR>The Castle Hill Inn & Resort, and The Cliffside Inn both look very nice & upscale. A Viewpoint B&B looks great too - oceanview rooms & beach access. Search their names to find websites.

cheryl Mar 22nd, 1999 12:18 PM

My sister raves about Vanderbilt Hall, right in the middle of Brick Market Place. It's very expensive, but absolutely beautiful and luxurious. <BR> <BR>Having grown up in the area, I can tell you that I'm not a big fan of most Newport restaurants. Most are geared for tourists and don't, in my opinion, live up to the hype. But White Horse Tavern is very good, although very expensive.

John Mar 23rd, 1999 07:24 AM

I vote for the Inn at Castle Hill (may be called Castle Hill Inn now). It has a fabulous view of the harbor and is right on the water. Stay in the rooms on the water. Newlport is fun and there is lots to do. Cliff walk, Mansions, Tennis Hall of fame, Newport Harbor. <BR>On Sunday pm there is Jazz party at Castle Hill on the lawn. Hundreds of people come. Avoid it or go to it depending on what you like. We have stayed there while it was going on and enjoyed it. The people stay away from the guests. <BR>