Search

Newport RI hotel help - Vanderbilt Grace or Hotel Viking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newport RI hotel help - Vanderbilt Grace or Hotel Viking

Hi everone!

We are going to Newport to participate in the Art Festival, and because it's SO's birthday weekend, we're going a bit early to enjoy a little of what Newport has to offer.

I think we've narrowed it down to the Vanderbilt Grace or the Hotel Viking; but we're open to other suggestions too. We have one difficulty - we're bring our trailer that transports our art, so we need a place that can accomodate the car & trailer for parking.

The hotel needs to have a bar & restaurant on-site, as at the end of each day of the shows we'll be pooped and just want to crash at the hotel.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Cyn
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM

I've been to Newport many times but I have not stayed at either of these places. I do know the Hotel Viking though and I wouldn't worry about food as it is in the middle of town near many restaurants--I'm sure many deliver, too. Because of its location though parking is an issue. I can't imagine they'd have room for a trailer. I don't even know where they have parking lot.According to the address given for Vanderbilt Grace, you;ll have the same problem.The hotels outside of town in very nearby Middletown are in a boring strip mall setting, but at least they all have big parking lots, or you'll need to park your vehicles away from where you're staying. The streets can also be narrow and with odd angles in parts of Newport, so getting around with a trailer might be challenging
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 04:34 AM
cw

I haven't stayed in either hotel either but the Vanderbilt Grace looks wonderful. I think the Viking has a parking lot but I'm not sure of it's configuration. Both hotels are central--the VG a bit more so, but they are not far from one another.

I think you should call each hotel and ask them about the parking issue. As janie says, there are always the boring Middletown alternatives but you wouldn't have the amenities you want.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janie & cw for the advice. The Viking says they have a large parking lot that can accomodate us; and the Vanderbilt says if there's no room in their lot that there is a paid lot next door.

Another option is the Hyatt over on goat island - that one doesn't get such good reviews, though. Comments?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Cyn
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM

I've stayed at the Hyatt but only when I could get it on a Priceline bid. It has all the advantages and diadvantages of a large hotel--nice gym and pool, lots of space. but not very interesting. Location makse for some nice views, but it's a little too far for me to walk into town regularly, and the shuttle van we took sometimes worked out, sometimes we drove.