Newport RI best place to stay

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:17 AM
Claire

Newport RI best place to stay

Going to Newport RI. Columbus Day weekend can anyone tell me the best place to stay? It is for my husband and I. We are looking for a Romantic place to stay.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:29 AM
x

ttt

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:12 AM
Beth

Castle Hill Resort or Cliffside Inn.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Audrey

Francis Malbone House...I think they have a website; charming, warm staff, wonderful breakfast...

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Toni

We loved the Francis Malbone...it is absolutely gorgeous and the staff are very friendly and helpful...we took a 2 week trip to New England last October and of all the places that we stayed, this was our favorite. You'll love it. They also have a wonderful breakfast and every afternoon the dining room table is laden with delicious baked goods, cookies, cakes etc. We loved Newport and the Francis Malbone made it really special. Be sure and walk the ocean walk if you haven't already.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Toni

Forgot to mention that they have a website...don't know what it is exactly but type in francis malbone and newport in any seach engine and I'm sure it will come up! Have fun...

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Barbara

We were in Newport last October for a few days for a meeting my husband attended. Unfortunately, his meeting was at the Marriott which was pretty generic. Bring a jacket, it can be pretty cold in October. Definitely go to The Black Pearl for clam chowder. I had at least 4 bowls in 4 days.(They also make a good Bloddy Mary) Also go to Marble Head and The Breakers. (we liked Marble Head better). There is a real fancy restaurant out on the end of a bluff over looking the ocean. It's historic and has guest rooms. DON'T go, it's the kind of place to take your grandparents on their anniversary. We were very dissapointed. There are alot of fun, casual restaurants in town, we ate at 2 real good Italian restaurants where the locals go...Sorry I couldn't help you with a place to stay

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Jennifer

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful getaway in Newport. We stayed at a terrific bed and breakfast called The Willows of Newport. They specialize in romance! It is on a quiet street but a short walk to all the attractions. There are beautiful gardens with benches and tables for two, friendly service, and beautiful rooms with the best bed I have ever slept on. A delicious breakfast is brought to your room in the morning and served on silver and bone china. The whole stay was fabulous. We will definitely go back to Newport and stay at the Willows! (They do have a website, thewillowsofnewport.com)

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Jeff

We stayed at the Hydrangea Inn. It has normal rooms but has two delux rooms on the upper level with steam showers, tv, vcr and hot tub. It is your preference.

It is located across from the Viking Hotel (good location)

Like the White Horse Tavern

There is a great brunch place on the way home, just across the bridge in Middletown, overlooking the water towards Newport. I am sure that the B&B will know the name, but call by Sat AM for sunday brunch.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:44 AM
mary

took my husband on a surprise getaway to Newport 2 years ago - -LOVED the Francis Malbone house-- very nice - esp. when it's cold out, lovely breakfast, a gorgeous bed with a very fluffy down comforter and a huge jacuzzi tub, complete with rubber ducky!! We ate at a great place called The Cheeky Monkey which we loved, and then had a casual dinner with incredible mesquite grilled lobster at Scales & Shells- -loved it - -enjoy your trip!