A beach on the Panhandle

Search

A beach on the Panhandle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A beach on the Panhandle

I need some beachy advice--I'm looking for a beach on the Florida Panhandle for my family (2 kids, ages 5 and 18 months) this May. In the past we've always gone to the Outer Banks, and our preferences are for beaches that are family friendly, but not over the top touristy. (We usually have preferred places like Hatteras over Nags Head).

Thus, we're in the market for something similar--not too resorty or overbuilt, but with a few stores/restaurants, distractions, etc.

Are we asking too much? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
bamakelly

I love Seagrove and the surrounding areas for the reasons you mentioned. www.garrettrealty.com is a good place to start looking for property and area maps, etc. There is a website for the Beaches of South Walton that might be helpful too (don't know the address--google will find). This is right next to Seaside, which is touristy, but the entire area is so small that you feel charm and quaint and all those fun things. Plenty of small shops to keep you busy; lots of good places to eat, but still plenty of shore line. This is a lot different from the places you mentioned, but I've never heard anyone go to So Walton and complain!

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Panama City is very touristy with all of the restaurants, puttputt, etc., but just east of that is Mexico Beach which is very untouristy. It has a beautiful, big beach, a fishing pier and some restaurants since there is an air-force base there. We stayed there with our 3 yr old and drove to Panama City twice. As i recall there was a nice big B&B right on the beach. I'm not familiar with NC beaches.
Pensacola Beach is or was beautiful, probably my favorite in Fl and i've been to almost all of them, but i think Hurrican Ivan blew everything away. You probably can't go wrong with any beach in the panhandle though.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:11 AM

I second the Beaches of South Walton - Seagrove, Seacrest, Seaside, Grayton, etc. Anywhere in that area is beautiful and quiet - perfect for little kiddies and parents who just want to relax. (beachesofsouthwalton.com and graytonbeach.com)
I, too, love Pensacola first and foremost, but had a great vacation last year in Seacrest. It's great for family vacations with young kids. All we want to do is go to the beach - so we aren't looking for entertainment & attractions. This is the place!
PS - My mom lives in Rocky Mount, NC so she goes to the Outer Banks now, but still says the beaches in the Panhandle are superior!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM

We spent a week last summer at Seagrove with our children and grandchildren, and it was perfect for us.

We were close enough to Panama City and the Destin area for the older kids to enjoy the water parks and stuff, but we spent most of our time in Seagrove.

We had a roomy beachfront condo with a great pool.

I think Seagrove would be just right for your family.

Byrd
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Definitely the Beaches of South Walton. Any of them. You won't be disappointed. Seaside has the most in terms of commercial development-stores, restaurants, etc. but it is far from commercial. For family friendly and excellent amenities, check out Watercolor.

I love Mexico Beach. I grew up going there but the fact is the beaches farther west are prettier-whiter sand and clearer, blue or green water. The nicest beaches in the state IMHO in terms of water and sand are from Panama City to Pensacola.