Restaurants + Kids + Santa Monica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for restaurants with kids in Santa Monica, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Any restaurants that I have located are pricey and not very kid friendly.

Thanks,
Amy
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:35 PM
del

To seaair.
On 3rd. street in Santa Monica, called the 3rd street mall, all restrauants will be kid friendly. It is a place for familys day or evening. Lots if fun.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM

I agree with the first post. Go down Third Street and there will be tons of inexpensive restaurants.

Are you looking for very casual or something a bit nicer? What is your price-range?
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:08 PM

On Wilshire, (I think past 20th street) there is a pasta/Italian food type restaurant. It is called Earth, Wind & Flour. I have taken my kids there whenever we were in town. They have pictures on the walls of kids & when there have been magicians there. Don't know when the magicians are there -- have never been at the restaurant when the magicians are there. Also, part of the restaurant has the floor covered with either sawdust or some kind of ground up grain -- not a problem if kids' (or adults') food is spilled on the floor. Also, the food is good, the service good & the kids tell me that they want to go back every time we are in town.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Third Street is definitely a good place for family grub. Breakfasts range from Broadway Deli (pricey) and Johnny Rocket's (cheaper, and kids love the diner atmosphere!) to two (!) Starbucks and a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. There's a more "greasy spoon" diner on Main called Joe's Diner-- but it's at least a mile away from your hotel (if you're still staying at the Four Points on Pico). But it's flat....

For a bit of English flavor, lunch or dinner could be spent with some great fish & chips at Ye Olde King's Head on Santa Monica. There's even a little tea house (Tudor House, I think it's called-- on Second) to get cakes, scones, and little cucumber sandwiches. A bit precious, but tasty.

A fun place with ocean views is Crocodile Café (corner of Santa Monica and Ocean). It's not that expensive, the food's just fine, and sitting out on the enclosed patio is quite pleasant.

It's a chain, but California Pizza Kitchen (Wilshire between Second and Third) is always a good choice. And it's fairly kid-friendly. The PF Chang up the street has good food too, but it's not nearly as kid-friendly.

Up Third Street from Johnny Rocket's is a bit of California fast-food history: Fatburger. I'm NOT being facetious-- it's good, it's cheap, and there are choices for cutting the fat (more of a concern for us adults).

The one thing Santa Monica needs and doesn't have yet is an In-'n'-Out Burger joint. If you've never experienced an In-'n'-Out Double Double, you're missing just about the best mass-market fast-food burger in the country. I'm a bit of a foodie, and can get snobbish about dining out, but every so often I get the urge, and I'd crawl a mile on my eyes for an In-'n'-Out fix. I'm glad I have *2* within 2 miles of my house...!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Islands
Polly's
Hamburger Hamlet
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Forgot about Polly's. Not a bad choice! Islands might be a bit far away, down there on Washington (Venice/Marina del Rey area). But the kids will love its faux tropical feel and great burgers. The Hamburger Hamlet up in Brentwood...? Wow, it's been ages! It's still open?!

Has anyone gone to El Cholo yet on Wilshire? I've been to the one closer to downtown, and it was awesome.

A place to avoid is Buca di Beppo on Second Street. The atmosphere is "TGI Friday meets Olive Garden", but the food was appalling both times I went (it was SO bad the first time, I went again because I couldn't believe that first experience-- but it was true).
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:33 PM

El Cholo is a great place in Santa Monica for all. It gets really packed on the weekends though -- big bar area, but the whole place is also packed with families, and the food is good. That's a really good recommendation.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Not sure how old your kids are (are we talking puberty or high-chairs?) but Swingers on Broadway/Lincoln is a retro-looking place that has inexpensive eats. Good for breakfast and open late, too. And, I hesitate to mention it, but Hooters is also near the 3rd Street Promenade and they have the best wings around. Yankee Doodles is a fun place on the Promenade -- again, depending on how old your kids are, you could order some burgers and play some pool and watch sports on the big screens. Also, Mario's has pasta and pizza.
Have fun!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Crocodile Cafe is a good casual place. I think it would be a good choice for family dining.