Newport Beach, CA in the wind and rain?

Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newport Beach, CA in the wind and rain?

Some friends of ours from the east coast came out to visit us while we are staying here in LA. They have a lovely Newport Beach vacation villa reserved for the week---March 16--23. They are only staying for 5 of those 7 nights---these next 5 of mostly BAD weather.

Does anyone know of good things to do there in the rain and/or bad weather? We will go down and stay over Sunday into Monday at their resort. I am so bummed that we have had nothing but gorgeous weather for our whole time in CA and now that our friends have come it is really lousy weather.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Shopping! Fashion Island calls my name.

A visit to Rogers Gardens is still super in the rain.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Eat at The Crab Cooker!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM

The last part of Sunday and Monday should be okay.

Saturday might just be a TV or movie day.

Although I do like to go to Disneyland in the rain..no crowds!
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could still rent a covered electric boat and cruise Newport Harbor.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Fashion Island is outside and might be miserable as well. My friends in Orange County are all posting about the rain and cold today -

Are they at the Newport Villas?

Even in the rain it might be nice to eat here: http://www.thebeachcombercafe.com/_c...ove/index.aspx but it is a walk to get to... so they would need an umbrella.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM

I'm never miserable in Fashion Island.

Could also go to South Coast Plaza for lots of (expensive) indoor fun.

I like the idea of cruising Newport Harbor. It wouldn't be crowded. And I think Disneyland would be a hoot in the rain.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all so far! They have plans to meet up w/some friends who moved to the area many years ago, so that should keep them occupied today.

We are going down there tomorrow. I hope this driving rain will have diminished by then. Not looking forward to the drive, even in good conditions....

Dawn, is the only way to get to that restaurant on foot? That looks like it would be a good place for the 4 of us to go tomorrow night. Yes, they are staying at the Marriott Villas, if that is what you meant by the Newport Villas.

I continue to be so bummed about this lousy weather!! They went to a lot of effort and expense to come out here and the weather has been so wonderful the whole time that DH and I have been here (since early January). We have not even had 2 consecutive days of clouds---let alone rain--and then our friends come and the skies open up!! They left much better weather on the east coast. I know that there is nothing I can do, but nevertheless......

I am not inclined to to do Fashion Island in this weather--not sure what they might like, but I will certainly tell them about it tomorrow. We have not been there in many years. I will also let them know about South Coast Plaza.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM

I think too cold and windy tomorrow for being on any kind of water. Unless you're a polar bear.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Amen, mlgb---just what I was thinking!! And when I think of *all* the warm weather we have had.....
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Take them to see the best indoor sight in the great LA Basin - the Getty Museum. They could even take the light rail up to somewhere close to you if nececessary, righto? http://www.getty.edu/museum/

Or take them to the equally well regarded - Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Also excellent. http://www.lacma.org/
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Indoor (mostly) things to do on a rainy day that are not very far from Newport Beach.

Orange County Museum of Art. (Newport Beach)
Richard Nixon Presidential Library. (Yorba Linda)
Mission San Juan Capistrano. (Guess where)
Bowers Museum. (Santa Ana)
Aquarium of the Pacific. (Long Beach)
Queen Mary. (Long Beach)

Plenty of shopping opportunities on the east coast.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Yes, sorry, I mean the Newport Villas - stayed there a few summers ago for a local getaway -

We had a good meal at Tommy Bahamas (I had no idea they had restaurants) when we were there - save room for Sprinkles for dessert

http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Store...port_Beach.jsp

and yes, unfortunately the only way to get to the beach comber (where they filmed beaches btw) is on foot - you have to park and then walk a bit - so super miserable = no (as there is not a huge place to wait INSIDE if there is a wait - I think in this weather there would not be) the place is for the view not really the food if that makes sense.

I would pass personally on Fashion Island in the rain - it is all outside and I feel like would be miserable.

Let me know what their villa is like -ours was "okay" no real view. I am going back for a week in June and hoping to get a better one.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Even tho we are not going till tomorrow, I already know that they have a panoramic ocean view from the deck b/c I spoke to them last night after they checked in. I do know that the husband called the resort in advance and specifically requested a view, so maybe that is what one has to do to get one.

Thanks to everyone who keeps posting. I appreciate it so much!!
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Doesn't Frozen Planet premiere tomorrow night?..might be appropriate!

I like the Bowers although it's smallish they are open only 1 to 4 pm and closed Mondays.

Current exhibits
http://www.bowers.org/index.php/art/...isting/current

If it's still raining hard I would pass on the Mission San Juan Capistrano as a lot of what you see is outside, but if it's just drippy it might be a good one. Sunday Brunch at Ramos House Cafe with the weather being iffy you might actually get in. You could also browse the galleries in the village.

www.ramoshouse.com
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM

mlgb that is a good suggestion - I have been to the Mission in San Juan and it was fine. Brunch at Ramos is always amazing!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM

SW - my friends on FB in the area have posted photos of snow and hail?? What on earth?? Stay warm and safe - sorry your friends have had this weather!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! We are on our way out the door (just about) to go down there. I know I have no control over the weather and yet I feel so bad that this is the time that they are here!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If they wanted insurance of good weather, they shouldn't have come in March. It's still winter, ya know, even if winter here doesn't look like winter on the East Coast. Your experience since January is not typical for SoCal. You just got lucky.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Hope you did okay socialworker. Today is nice and sunny but cold (for us). Yesterday was crazy windy but not much rain after the morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -