Newbury Guest House & Harborside Inn

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:03 PM
mary jardin

Newbury Guest House & Harborside Inn

Has anyone stayed in Boston at either the Harborside Inn or Newbury Guest House? Harborside Inn is on State Street. Is one location better than the other (closer to attractions), and within walking distance to most attractions?

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Cass

Newbury is really my favorite place to stay. It couldn't be more central -- walking distance to Copley T station, which is on a main line to wherever. It's also within walking distance of much of the downtown attractions, including Newbury St. itself. And it's quite charming, with a very interesting clientele.

Although I've never stayed at the Harborside, based on location and my experience with Newbury Guest House, I'd choose the latter in a blink.

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Cass

Forgot to add re:location that the Harborside, while close to some touristy things like Quincy Market, Aquarium, and boat tours, is also right in the midst of the Big Dig construction, which makes getting to any T stop a challenge.

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Ann

Mary, I was just in the downtown area this week, and noticed the location of the Harborside Inn. It's half a block from the new Customs House Marriott, but also half a block from the Big Dig, and a very noisy area to boot. Great location for Quincy Market, Aquarium, Harbor, North End area, but I'd wait until the Big Dig is finished. You'll be happier at the Newbury GH until then.

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Clay

My wife and I stayed at the Newbury on a trip last October to Boston.

It's a nice part of town, just down from the harbor and really within a walk of tons of the tourist stops.

They did have it torn up down there right in front of the hotel. If that construction is gone, this is where you'd want to stay. Convenient, clean, and reasonably priced.