Newark to Millineum Hotel in NYC

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Paula

Newark to Millineum Hotel in NYC

I'm going to be traveling to NYC for my 25th anniversary over New Year's Eve. Neither my husband or I have been to the East Coast and being from Southern California, we're not used to public transportation.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way for me to get to my city? I can't wait to get to explore NYC, but must admit that the whole idea kind of scares me since I'm not much of a traveler.

Someone mentioned that there was going to be a way to get there on a subway that just opened from the airport. I'm flying on Delta. Does anyone know how I get to the subway from that terminal? Or is there an easier way to get to my hotel? Maybe a shuttle bus?

Also any suggestions for good, but not overly expensive restaurants near my hotel? I'll be in town from Dec. 27 through January 1st, so I'm assuming that I'll hit lots of crowds and will have a tough time getting reservations this late.

Thanks for your help!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 12:16 PM
JD

The easiset way involves not taking public transportation such as a bus or train. You can take a cab (about $50 for fare, tolls, and tip) OR use a shared shuttle minivan(such as Supershuttle ) (about $30 for two). Both will take directly from the terminal to your hotel door. There are ground transportation areas at most Newark arrival areas that have staffed counters as well as phone banks with direct (free) calls to the various bus, shuttle and cab companies. Unless you're really trying to economize, I wouldn't bother trying to figure out the public transport options. Just my opinion

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Julie

I have to agree with the previous poster. Although there is now a train from Newark ($11 per person one-way) that will take you into Penn Station, you will then have to transfer to a subway...much walking...bags...stairs etc etc etc. However, since there are 2 of you, instead of spending $22 why not indulge yourself in a cab for approx. $50. I also agree with the fact that if money is an object, the Super Shuttle would be the next best choice since for the flat price per person it will take you directly to your hotel(approx. $19 per person from Newark?).

Re: restaurants - if this is the Millenium on 44th/45th Street (depending on which door you go out of) then my suggestion for good inexpensive places is to head west towards 8th & 9th Avenues where the prices are a little lower and the quality is the same if not better. In fact, I prefer 9th Avenue over 8th...but that's this one person's opinion. Hope you have a great time visiting!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 03:24 PM
thereuare

If you'd rather not spend $50 on a cab, you could take the bus from Newark Airport to the Port Authority. It goes direct to the Port Authority, so you need not worry about your hotel being the last stop (and thus getting an unexpected tour of all of NYC's hotels). Cost is about $12/person. From the Port Authority, you can take a $4 cab ride to your hotel (easily walkable, but assume you wouldn't want to do it with luggage).

I would like to emphasize, that although recommended that you not learn the public transport system to get from Newark to NYC, i DO recommend that you learn the subway system in order to get around NY! There is no better way to travel around the city. When you arrive, you can get an unlimited metrocard for 1 week for ~$17 which is good on all subway and busses. Just don't take the subways too late at nite (up to 11:00pm should be fine).

As far as restaurants, a nice casual place nearby is John's Pizza on 44th Street (b/w 7th and 8th Ave). Where else but in NYC can you have GREAT pizza in a converted church atmosphere? This will make a nice lunch place, or a place to go and eat/relax the nite you come into town if you're tired.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 10:02 PM
xxx

There had been a post about the new train, but unfortunately the forum hasn't been updated for quite a while. Can't anyone help her with more useful information on the new train?

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Casey Jones

Here's the website for the new train:

http://www.airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/

Here's the Port Authority page about ground transport to/from Newark:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egrtfram.htm

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:47 AM
thereuare

I didn't comment on the train because i dont' think it's a viable option. If i remember correctly, it would be $11/pp, which is roughly the same price as the shuttle i mentioned, but A LOT LESS convenient. To take the train, first she'd have to take the shuttle to the Airtrain, then get on the train to Penn Station, then get to her hotel (3 different vehicles) whereas the shuttle direct to the Port Authority and then a cab would only be 2. (and be slightly cheaper due to a less expensive cab ride from Porth Authority than from Penn Station).

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Owen O'Neill

Just chiming in to concur with the pther opinions. Once you're in the city and settled into the hotel the subway is frequently the best way to travel and unquestionably the cheapest (at morning and evening rush hour it can also be much faster than a cab!). If traveling alone with minimal luggage the Skytrain is a great idea, particularly if your destination is anywhere close to Penn Station. During rush hour it also usually faster than taxis or shuttle bus but with two people and luggage the taxi really does make sense. Don't worry about being overcharge - the taxi dispatcher will ask your destination and give you a ticket with the fixed price written on it - the drivers are required to charge you that price. I also agree with Julie about the restaurants on 9th Avenue. You may be surprised to find that prices are actually cheaper than many comparable restaurants back home and quality very good. I frequently go to thet area for Thai, Vietnamese and Afghan cuisine but there are Italian, steakhouses, "American" and anything else you can imagine. A day or two in NYC and your sense of uneasiness is sure to disappear. It's a very busy (sometimes even frenetic) pace but people are friendly and the energy level is invigorating.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:55 PM
Paula

Thanks for the help. Sounds like the shuttle is the way to go. Do have to book a shuttle ahead of time, or is there a place there at Newark where I go stand in line when I arrive?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Gretchen

Have done the exact thing you want to do. Took the bus the first time and had to transfer to another smaller shuttle van to go to Millenium. For the return we took the Supershuttle--picked up at the door and delivered to airport. I am pretty sure you can arrange it at the transportation counter--just be sure to ask for it by name.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Owen O'Neill

Check bear the baggage carousels for an information desk - they'll direct you. I believe the shuttle picks up where the other ground transpoprtation does (buses to long term parking, Port Authority shuttle etc.).

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Julie

Everyone has given you good advice here re: the Super Shuttle. If you want to call ahead to speak to someone their phone # is: 212-258-3826.

They don't take advance reservations when they pick you up at the Airport. Upon arrival after collecting your bags you will see a desk with a Ground Transportation sign or a blue phone. Either arrange it with the person at the desk or pick up the blue phone and they will talk you through it.

On your departure from your hotel back to the Airport you can make a reservation. Just be sure to do this plenty of time in advance (24-48 hrs? ask them when you inquire).

It's actually quite simple, I'm sure this will work our quite well for you. Good luck!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
kj

Just got back from NY last weekend. We flew into Newark on a red eye arriving early morning. We took the new air train and it was great!
Very simple, since we only had carry-on luggage. Bought the ticket in the terminal, took the monorail to the train station and the train to Penn station. Cab to hotel.
One advantage is that it's FAST, especially if you arrive during rush hour. Only 20 min from Train station to train station.