Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-with-kids-269236/)

ju dy Oct 29th, 2002 02:32 AM

New York with kids

Single mom and 2 girls 8 and 11, we're off to NYC for three days and nights after Christmas. We have tickets for the Lion King, other than that we are open. Got a great rate at Double Tree in Times square but have never done the city with kids. I wuld love suggestions!

Jen Oct 29th, 2002 03:32 AM

Topping for Judy, whose e-mail address is incorrect above.

bennie Oct 29th, 2002 05:45 AM

Here's a list of things we did when we took our 5 and 9 year old there last Christmas. Not in any particular order.<BR><BR>1. Dim Sum in Chinatown. Take a cab to Mott and Bowery. We've been to the Harmony Palace twice and its pretty good.<BR><BR>2. Ice Skating in Central Park - alternative to skating in Rockefeller Center. The Central Park location is very charming with the trees and the skyscrapers looming overhead. But be forewarned - it gets very crowded and the wait can be over an hour. <BR><BR>3. Marriott Marquis Times Square - two choices - the lounge on the 7th or 8th floor that is overlooking the lights of Time Square (they serve hot chocolate for the kids) or the The View rotating lounge at the top of the builing for a rotating view of the skyline. I prefer the 7th floor.<BR><BR>4. Also Rockefellar Center/St Patricks/Saks Fifth Avenue - the window at Saks will be decorated beautifully. The tree in Rockefellar Center is best seen at dusk or later. St. Patricks is also beautiful - when we were there there was a Franciscan brother talking to kids about the Creche. As Catholics this is always a must see for us. May not interest everyone.<BR><BR>5. We had the girls' names spelled out in caligraphy by an Asian street vendor. $5 for your name spelled out on a banner in rainbow colored letters formed to look like butterflies, fish, and flowers. They do it while you wait. Very pretty. Found the vendors all over the city.<BR><BR>6. Toys R Us in Times Square to ride the ferris wheel.<BR><BR>There are tons of other things to do and I'm sure others will have suggestions also. Be prepared for very large crowds.

t Oct 29th, 2002 06:51 AM

t

rachel Oct 29th, 2002 06:54 AM

Good suggestions from Bennie. Here's more: 1. walk across (or even just partway) the Brooklyn Bridge for great view of manhattan; 2. Empire State Building; 3. Shop-Canal Street for knock-offs, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc. 4. Jewelry exchange area (46th, 47th, 47th streets I think)-very interesting-you might not be in the buying mood, but its a sight to see. 5. Musuems, musuems, and more musuems; 6. NY Public Library is like no other; 7. Greenwich Village; 8. Ellis Island if your girls are interested in history; 9. Wall Street-tour the stock exchange (kids may be a little young to appreciate 10. SONY has a great interactive musuem, but probably log lines that time of year. Best advice, get a good tour book, pick an area of manhattan for each day and squeeze in as much as you can. Then explore another section the next day.

tweedy Oct 29th, 2002 07:14 AM

I would suggest the Museum of Natural History on Central Park West at 79th St. and the Planetarium which the kids will love.<BR><BR>Also the Met Museum has &quot;the Christmas Tree&quot; up. It is decorated with priceless figurines, angels, small statues. It is truly a gem and a special part of the holiday season.<BR><BR>The South Street Seaport also has special events including a Choral Christmas Tree.<BR><BR>Also special during the holidays is the Bronx Zoo which has THOUSANDS of lights all over the zoo and most of the exhibits are open. Also all of the cafes and restaurants are open so you can get some hot chocolate to make the visit a little nicer. There are also special events in the evening, but not sure what nights so you might check with the Bronx Zoo for details.<BR><BR>I would also take the girls on the Staten Island Ferry just at dusk the trip back to Manhattan when the lights are comming up is something they will remembe always.<BR><BR>Have a fun time and enjoy the city.