Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York - Which seafood restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-which-seafood-restaurant-390412/)

Sofie Jan 22nd, 2004 08:16 AM

New York - Which seafood restaurant

Have been checking out through the net various seafood restaurants in New York and two appeal to me - City Lobster and Pearls Oyster Bar. Has anyone been to either and which would you recommend.

GoTravel Jan 22nd, 2004 08:21 AM

Neither would be my first choice.

Have you looked at The Oyster Bar in Grand Central or Shelley's New York? I think both are superior.

cigalechanta Jan 22nd, 2004 08:37 AM

My favs are: Bernadin's The Ocean Club.

luv2fly Jan 22nd, 2004 08:39 AM

The Manhattan Ocean Club on W. 58th St. Superb fish, service and a Picasso on the wall.

luv2fly Jan 22nd, 2004 08:43 AM

Also...almost forgot...the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center. A great meal comes wih a spectacular view of the Skating Rink.

www.menupages.com

mp Jan 22nd, 2004 10:38 AM

You're asking about two very different places. Pearl Oyster bar is small, (although they have recently expanded - it is now small instead of tiny) the food is simple and impeccably fresh - a "re-creation" or interpretation of a Maine fish restaurant/clam shack. But they don't take reservations - so for the shortest wait, the best advice is to go 20 minutes before they open. Check their website, www.pearloysterbar.com

Another excellent seafood place nearby is Mary's Fish Camp-64 Charles @ W.4th St. (started by a former partner in Pearl) - but once again, small simple and fresh are the key words. The Lobster Rolls in both places are luxurious.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is City Lobster - big, bustling and factory like . . .not appealing to me, but popular with the younger, after work crowd.

Go Travels' suggestion - The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is right now involved in a nasty union dispute, if that means anything to you. Also, it has it's ups and downs - although sitting at the counter and ordering the she-crab soup and a simple broiled fish is still one of NYC's great pleasures.

People criticize Le Bernadin - too stuffy, too expensive too French - but a friend (a former food writer) had a meal there last week which she termed one of the best she had ever had . . . but bring your wallet!

flopmeister Jan 22nd, 2004 11:46 AM

if you absolutely need the best seafood resto please go to le bernadin.

samschack Jan 22nd, 2004 11:46 AM

Just returned a couple weeks ago from a trip to NYC and had one of the best meals ever at Sea Grill---Great view of the rink and when we were there the tree was still up and in full view from our table.
They also have a good, well thought out wine list but keep in mind that neither food nor wine are cheap there. For us though, it was well worth every penny spent and gave us a memorable experience from our trip.

Patrick Jan 22nd, 2004 12:33 PM

This past fall had two remarkable meals at Sea Grill (but one was a special Simi wine dinner). I don't know why, but while I enjoy the atmosphere at GC Oyster Bar, I always go away thinking it was overpriced for what it is.
But each trip I plan to do a meal at Le Bernadin -- it is simply perfection in every way! I've decided I like doing lunch there as much as dinner, and of course, a bit cheaper as well.

bluefan Jan 22nd, 2004 08:35 PM

I realize it's not one of your two requested choices, but I also recommend Le Bernardin.

GoTravel Jan 23rd, 2004 02:54 PM

I forgot about the Sea Grill! I do love to eat there in the winter and watch the skaters.

Sorry Sofie, you've asked about two specific restaurants and only one person answered your question. I guess we want you to eat where we want you to eat!

gc Jan 23rd, 2004 03:29 PM

Sea Grill and Foley's Fish House....great food, great views.