Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York - where to stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-where-to-stay-1023073/)

Peter_S_Aus Aug 15th, 2014 11:58 PM

New York - where to stay

My daughter, aged about 25, will be spending a week in New York in early November. She's travelling solo.

She's wondering what would be a good area to stay in, she is interested in the usual mid-20's stuff, Chelsea galleries, Central Park, Brooklyn breweries, cafes, bars, Museum of Modern art.

Can any one advise, as I'm totally clueless when it comes to New York.

Thanks

Peteralan Aug 16th, 2014 02:46 AM

Hi Peter. There are plenty of experts on here who can help you/her with a place to stay. To get better advice, can you advise how much she is willing to spend per night and , if possible, the exacty dates she will be there. This is essential as rates can change by day and November can be expensive. With that advice, you will get some good suggestions.

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2014 03:40 AM

She is coming at one of the most expensive and crowded times of year.

So to help we need to know her nightly budget and what she is expecting for that. (Is she willing to consider a hostel, will she be happy with cheap and cheerful and not a lot of amenities, or does she want a trendy boutique or a very upscale property?)

The sights she wants to see are in many different areas of the city and I think it's more important to find her the right bargain (unless she has an unlimited budget) near the subway - which she will be taking to get most places.

panecott Aug 16th, 2014 05:26 AM

A young woman of her age and with her interests might enjoy staying in Chelsea or Greenwich Village. For starters, try googling the type of place she's interested in, e.g., B&B, boutique hotel, small hotel, etc., plus the area, and see what you come up with. Another option is the Upper West Side.

The attractions you listed are spread out all over the city, but public transportation will get her everywhere so that won't be a problem.

Pretty much all areas of the city have something great to offer - the exception being, IMO, Times Square, which is tacky and crowded and loaded with tourists.

If you give us more info, maybe people can make specific recos, or help you further with your search.

mclaurie Aug 16th, 2014 05:49 AM

The first Sun. In Nov. Is the NYC Marathon which fills hotel rooms and inflates hotel prices. As others have said, since the things she wants to see are in different areas, her budget and availability will dictate what her best options are. Being near a subway station is key.

Bokhara2 Oct 4th, 2014 12:12 AM

Peteralan,
What about Chelsea Pines? PeterS, I've not stayed there yet, but have earmarked it for my next NYC trip.

I know I'm late to this party.
PeterS, I'd like to contact you, would you kindly drop me a line? Email address on our forum under Songdoc's post. Tks - the Barwon kid ;)

Peteralan Oct 4th, 2014 02:45 AM

Hi Bokhara. Well I can really recommend Chelsea Pines especially for the great staff but whether it is suitable for a young girl I am not sure.In any case as we are getting on to two months from when we heard from the poster and no further info from him maybe it is not an issue.