Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York, Washington and ? (nature) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-washington-and-nature-1661797/)

fbto Dec 28th, 2018 07:40 AM

New York, Washington and ? (nature)

Am thinking of visiting NY and Washington in fall (sept/oct), taking 10 days for that and then reserving another 10 days for a roadtrip to see some nature (hiking and just enjoying some relaxed environment after the busy cities).

I have been reading a bit and it seems like possible options could be:
- go north east: white mountains, green mountains, acadia
- go south: shenandoah, great smoky mountains (fly home from Atlanta)

I find it hard to choose, so would appreciate your help! What do you think of the above options, what do you think is the better option (in your experience)? Other suggestions also welcome!

MmePerdu Dec 28th, 2018 08:48 AM

On trips to Washington my favorite road trips from the city are south & into the Northern Neck of Virginia and counties adjacent, generally between the Potomac, Rappahannock & James Rivers.

My colonial family was there which is what drew me initially but I go back for the beautiful countryside & dense history of our country's beginnings. Small historic towns, colonial homes, seafood from the Atlantic. I've hiked on what was a family farm, now Manassas Battlefield National Park, visited presidents' homes including Monticello, and the James River Plantations. You don't need to be a history buff to enjoy the wealth of beautiful countryside & sites but if you are I don't believe there's a more satisfying part of the country.

tomfuller Dec 28th, 2018 09:02 AM

In between NYC and Washington stop in Philadelphia. You can hike in the area of Valley Forge.

jamie99 Dec 28th, 2018 12:51 PM

I've only been to Vermont in New England, but have spent many trips in the Virginia and Maryland area (my late husband was from a town in the Shenandoah Valley) and that is where I would go. It is beautiful there that time of year, might hit some fall foliage and Charlottesville is always worth a visit as well as Monticello. You could also spend a few days over on the Eastern Shore and Delmarva area. Oysters will be in season then and I think also soft shell crabs. St. Michael's is a nice town in that area.

Christina Dec 28th, 2018 02:14 PM

I'd probably be more drawn to the SW trip, Shenandoah etc. I don't really think you want to go to Acadia which is up in Maine and pretty far. Unless there is something there you've been dying to see, just seems a long trip and out of the way.

Shenandoah is a National Park, the others are just forests (except for Acadia). OF course at that time, it's prime leaf-peeping season up in Vermont, I imagine, so you'll have that to contend with. It is pretty, but I think crowded and some places can get expensive. I've been in Vermont more in those small towns, but I mainly go there to visit relatives and to go skiing, but I have been there in October and it is pretty, of course, but I didn't have to book a place.

You don't have to go all the way to Atlanta just to fly home with the SW trip, you could just go to Raleigh-Durham or somewhat farther, Charlotte NC.

kja Dec 28th, 2018 04:48 PM

You might want to link your decisions about which area to include for nature with your decision about when, exactly, to go -- I know it's hard to predict, but some of these areas can be particularly beautiful as the leaves turn color.