Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York trip report- highlights cont (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-trip-report-highlights-cont-704243/)

KatPen May 11th, 2007 02:50 AM

New York trip report- highlights cont

Part 2...entertainment. I decided to try my luck with last minute theatre and couldn't believe my luck. Walking back to the hotel after meeting friends on the first day, I saw the signs for Wicked so I went to the box office. I asked for a ticket either on Friday or Sat night. House seats had just been released (3pm Thurs) and I got front row mezz for Friday night. I was thrilled with the seats, enjoyed the performance but was not bowled over. Then I walked past the Drowsy Chaperone and also tried and got 10th row center orchestra for Saturday night. This was fabulous, pure entertainment and I laughed my way through it.
On Sunday we went to New Jersey NJPAC to see Alvin Ailey and that was tremendous. It is a 20 minute train ride from Manhatten and was half the price of the performance I missed when I had to cancel my last trip. Just fabulous! But the absolute highlight for me was participating in a dance class at the Alvin Ailey school. Ailey's legacy was to allow the general public to dance and anyone can join a class for $15. I haven't taken a dance class since I was 18 (I am now 54) and I took a Broadway Jazz class and it was wonderful. For anyone interested in dance, just to be in the building and watch the different classes and actually dance was the greatest thrill and the best $15 I spent!
Another great night was Jim Caruso's Cast Party at Birdland on Monday nights. Really great entertainment. And finally, I found the Tenement Museum to be a fascinating look at New York life as it once was. Well worth it. Best to phone and book as groups are limited to 15. I hope this helps someone and thank you to all Fodorites for their great info.

Brahmama May 11th, 2007 08:38 AM

What an interesting trip report! Thanks for both parts - I was disappointed when the 1st one was so short so really was glad you went into detail on this one.

Congrats on your great luck with seats! We have two shows reserved and then will try our own luck for more shows. I think we'll try Thursday around 3:00 PM!

KatPen May 11th, 2007 01:24 PM

Brahmama,
I am glad my report helped and I wish you luck with your tickets. I remember you from the Canadian Rockies forum...we planned our trip at the same time as yours and I loved your trip reports. Have fun in New York.

Margo_Chester May 11th, 2007 05:44 PM

What good luck with the show tickets! I think we are going to get tickets for Drowsy Chaperone for our June visit.

I'm enjoying your reports, thanks for sharing.

janisj May 11th, 2007 06:23 PM

just a hint - it is much better if you keep your report on the same thread instead of starting a new thread for each installment.

If you post add'l sections to the original thread it will stay together . . .