New York to Fl by car w/kids

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:13 AM
granniem

New York to Fl by car w/kids

Grandma, mom and 2 kids ages 7 and 10 drivng from NYS to FL late June. Any tips on the trip, where to stay, what to do, we have out plans for Florida already just need help with the trip there.

Any suggestions???

Margie

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Margie,
First of all, if you don't have AAA or a similar service, get it before embarking on your drive.
Next, I would decide about how far I want to drive each day and make hotel reservations accordingly. If you aren't positive how far you will get, make a couple of cancellable reservations and decide which one to cancel early in the afternoon. Be sure to get your cancellation #.
We were stuck driving an extra 8 hours longer than was safe because we couldn't get a room. We arrived at our Hilton Head hotel at 6 a.m. - luckily they took pity on us and let us into our room. Of course, the kids were ready to go and the adults were ready to sleep.

South of the Border is a tourist trap. If you decide to stop, know that their sole purpose is to separate you from your vacation $. That said, it seems to be one of those places that every "must stop" at once in their life time. They even have lodging.

There are a couple of good websites. Check out the I-95 Exit Infromation Guide. http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm

Another potentially good source of information is the Disboards. If you aren't familiar with it, it is a bulletin board primarily for planning Disney trips. Many folks drive I-95 to get there so there is much info on it. Here's a link to there driving thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=394351
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:22 AM
GoTravel

Where in Florida are you going? It is a big state and different routes will bring different stopping points.

Also, what is NYS?

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
emd

Do you have a portable DVD player (w a connection to lug into the cigarette lighter in the car)? It helps out a lot when driving that far w/kids that age.

There is a forum website for traveling on I95. I used it extensively when I drove from DC to Florida last yr. I found it especially helpful for the forum info on there regarding what hotels on the hwy. were safe and which ones were not, as some of the people on that board drive I95 several times a year.
http://www.travelriver.com/forum/pro...?mode=register
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM

It would help to know whether you have a time limit for the trip or if you're footloose.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:43 AM
granniem

Tis is an add on message tomy 5/17 post. Thak you for the info all of you who wrote. I will check into those web sites. NYS_ New York State.....
We did buy a double DVD player to keep the boys happy (well, we are trying) Anybody have further info. please send it to [email protected]. Thank you.

Old May 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM

To where in Florida? From where in New York? That will matter for route, where to stop, etc.

When you check times and mileage, we have found the portion of the trip from NY past Washington, DC is the worst. If you are traveling on NJ Turnpike and or Garden State Parkway, there always seems to be some sort of accident, delay, construction, etc.
I find that part of the trip always takes longer than expected.

Try to time your departure to avoid rush hour in NY metro area and Washington, DC. Either leave really early AM (my preference) or around 10 AM.

If possible, get a toll transponder (EZPass in NY). Especially for GS Parkway, it will save you digging for $.35 every 5-10 miles (or so it seems).

Get the kids a map (or 2) to look at during the trip. That will reduce the "are we there yet" complaints if they can track the trip themselves. Also can be interesting and somewhat educational.

Bring snacks in the car. Junk food is fine, especially if they don't eat much junk food at home - it keeps them occupied for a little while. A cooler is also great for summer travel.

If there is any chance the kids will argue over car space, bring a piece of chalk and draw a line down the seat. I am serious - it is amazing what kids will find to argue about after 2 days in the car.

When you stop for the night, try to stay someplace with something for the kids to do to run off some energy - a pool is the easiest to find. Don't plan on going out for a nice, long sit-down dinner - they will have spent enough time sitting.

South of the Border (on NC/SC line) is the tackiest, grossest place I have seen in this country. There is more over-priced food, lodging, souveneirs, etc. in a small area than one would think possible. But you must stop there at least once in your lifetime - perhaps on the trip back. (If you are so inclined, it is also a good place to buy fireworks that are likely illegal in your home state - you can buy enough to demolish a small country for less than $100.)
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Once again I will suggest freetrip.com
It will give you routing, miles to go, the time it takes, miles you've driven, and hotels in your price range along the entire trip.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Took this trip (NYS to FLA) with my family as a kid twice. That was in the 60's. South of the Border is a must. Tacky - yes, but Kids will love it. We made up games with license plates, the alphabet, read books, colored (didn't stay in the lines too well). Those days we didn't use our seat belts and crawled from the back seats to the back of the station wagon and waved at passing cars. I can stil remember the "thump, thump, thump" of the highway.