Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York to Boston: train or bus (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-to-boston-train-or-bus-883303/)

libanio Mar 23rd, 2011 01:10 PM

New York to Boston: train or bus

We are going from NYC to Boston on May during a trip to the United States.
My wife and I are on our seventies.
Besides the transportation information what in Boston can you sugest.
Thanks a lot.
Best regards from Brazil

vjpblovesitaly Mar 23rd, 2011 01:12 PM

What are you asking??? Which is better? Which is cheaper?

Do you have a guidebook for Boston?

libanio Mar 23rd, 2011 01:31 PM

Which is better?
Yes, I have a guidebook for Boston.
Thanks

china_cat Mar 23rd, 2011 01:36 PM

the train is a little faster, and a bit more comfortable. I prefer it.
The bus is a lot cheaper and perfectly fine.

What are your interests in Boston? historic? cultural? What time of year are you coming?

emalloy Mar 23rd, 2011 01:38 PM

If you go on Megabus or Bolt bus, you may be able to get tickets for as little as $1. The train is always more comfortable, you can get up and walk around.

If you are going in the winter, the train is going to be a little more reliable, given the winter storms we have been having.

If you use the search box at the top of the page and put in Boston, you will find several threads with information on things to do/see in Boston. Then let folks know what interests you, history, museums, sports, fine dining, music, etc.

bennnie Mar 23rd, 2011 01:39 PM

The train from NY to Boston is very convenient and comfortable but a tad expensive. Bus is much cheaper but less comfortable. If your budget allows I would take the train. If not, bus is fine. The bus station and train terminal are located next to each other (South Station). There is also a train station in Back Bay. If you take the train, check with your hotel to see which is more convenient. Also if you take the train, the Acela is somewhat faster and more comfortable. The regular Amtrak is slower but if you book an express train with reserved seating you will be fine.

bennnie Mar 23rd, 2011 01:39 PM

The train from NY to Boston is very convenient and comfortable but a tad expensive. Bus is much cheaper but less comfortable. If your budget allows I would take the train. If not, bus is fine. The bus station and train terminal are located next to each other (South Station). There is also a train station in Back Bay. If you take the train, check with your hotel to see which is more convenient. Also if you take the train, the Acela is somewhat faster and more comfortable. The regular Amtrak is slower but if you book an express train with reserved seating you will be fine.

debsnj Mar 23rd, 2011 01:59 PM

Be very careful regarding taking inexpensive buses from NYC (usually Chinatown) because they are notorious for having awful safety records. There have been 3 terrible bus accidents in the last few weeks with many fatalities, I think only one originated from NYC, but it seems to be a problem right now or just really bad coincidences.

Kealalani Mar 23rd, 2011 02:28 PM

The Chinatown busses are famous for being cheap, uncertain boarding in NYC if there are a lot of travellers that day you could get blocked out without knowing it. They are also famous for breakdowns and accidents, some very very bad accidents. But they are cheap. I wouldn't use them unless I had to.

Other busses have a higher tariff, but a better record.

Limo Liner is an upscale bus that goes from Boston Hilton to Manhattan. Mo money, mo luxury.

And the train is likely the most expensive, but you avoid delays due to traffic unless there is a severe snow storm. This article sums things up pretty well.

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15...-but-safe.html

nyer Mar 23rd, 2011 03:10 PM

If you are taking the "cheap" buses, the only companies you should really consider are Bolt Bus and Megabus, They are reliable and owned by even bigger well known bus companies.
In NYC, you do not get these buses at a bus station, they start from some side streets in midtown Manhattan. It could be confusing since you're just standing on a long line on a regular street. You have to buy tickets online in advance. Yes, some are $1 but you will probably not get those cheap rates (usually available for one one or two people , and only on certain buses at specific time, booked far in advance)
You will probably pay more like $15 each way, still much cheaper than the train. Most buses are filled with young adults & college students. Luggage is all stuffed in a section under the bus

nytraveler Mar 23rd, 2011 04:29 PM

IMHO while train is more expensive (but still not very much) it is way more comfortable than a bus - since you can get up and walk around at will - as well as use the toilet or get a snack. The Bolt or Mega bus is OK - if you can get a great price. Scheduled time is similar but the bus is more subject to traffic. Don;t touch the chinatown buses with a barge pole. There have been numerous accidents - with fatalities - unqualified/unlicensed drivers etc. It's taking your life in your hands.

As to what to do in Boston - how long do you have and what are your interests?

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 23rd, 2011 04:47 PM

http://www.limoliner.com/

suite7 Mar 23rd, 2011 05:07 PM

any bus, even the relatively comfortable Limo Liner is subject to road traffic conditions. my niece was stuck for 9 hours on it NYC to Bos. My advice is to take the Amtrak Acela (the express line...only a few stops.) It's a bit more expensive but worth it for the speed, comfort and reliability. Forget any of the chinatown busses unless you are on a severely restricted budget. You'll regret every minute and every mile.

Suki Mar 23rd, 2011 06:59 PM

As nytraveler indicated, Bolt Bus and MegaBus should not be confused with the Chinatown buses. My daughter takes them regularly (3 times in the last month) and they are reliable and inexpensive. And wouldn't you know that the one time she took the train from NYC to Boston, she got stuck for about 2 hours due to some mechanical trouble. As a rule, of course, the train is more reliable.

libanio Mar 24th, 2011 05:04 AM

Thank you very much for your kind information.
We´ll take the Acela Express.
We´ll stay in Boston for 4 nites, at the end of April and we have a reservation at Omni Parker House (60, School St.).
We´ve visited Boston many years for a couple of days in a hurry.
We are interested in history, sight seeing and litle in gastronomy. We are not gourmets or gourmands. At our age, we are sparing eaters, but we love New England clam chowder!
The Freedom Trail is too long for us.
Visiting only a museum which one do you suggest: Isabella Stewart Gardner or the Fine Arts ?
I´m a retired doctor and now a travel counsellor.
Thanks again for you replies.

mclaurie Mar 24th, 2011 05:23 AM

I think with 4 nights you have time to visit both museums. If not, have a look at both websites and decide which has exhibits that more interest you. I assume you'd want to visit Harvard. You might get better advice on Boston if you start a new thread with that in the title. Right now only people with a pov on trasnportation may open the thread.

Btw, if you haven't booked your train ticket yet, most people feel it's not necessary to take the pricier Acela train. A business seat on the regular train should be fine.

mclaurie Mar 24th, 2011 05:28 AM

Here's a discount for the Duck tours that yk posted. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...s-discount.cfm

libanio Mar 24th, 2011 05:49 AM

Thanks mclaurie. We´ll see the business seat in the regular train.
The Duck Tours are in our plans.

sharona Mar 24th, 2011 06:12 AM

There are a couple of regular trains that have only a couple of more stops than the Acela and that have a travel time of only a few minutes more but that cost significantly less than the Acela.

You don't need to walk the entire Freedom Trail. It's easy to do on your own and you can stop when you get tired. Stop by the Visitors' Center and pick up a walking map.

Instead of the duck tour you might want to consider a trolley tour. The trolley tour gives you opportunity to hop on and hop off all over the city and your ticket is good all day. The duck tour, while certainly entertaining, is more limited in what you see and, in my opinion, spends too much time on the water when you could be driving around seeing parts of the city that it neglects. If you choose a trolley tour make sure it's the Old Town Trolley and not one of the other companies. The trolleys are green and orange.

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

There's lovely clam chowder all over the city but my favorite is from Legal Sea Foods. They have restaurants all over the city.

paulhelmick Mar 24th, 2011 07:57 AM

I think it is safe to say there is no other museum like the Isabella Stewart Gardner. Fantastic! Try to see the post office in that general area to see the John Singer Sargent artwork.