Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Theatre (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-theatre-765039/)

Shar Feb 1st, 2009 07:48 PM

New York Theatre

Trying to choose between 2 shows in NYC
August: Osage County and
In the Heights. has anyone seen either of these and can give an opinion. I will be bringing my 16 years old grand daughter.

maryanntex Feb 1st, 2009 08:16 PM

Everyone in my family loved "In the Heights," and I highly recommend it. I haven't seen "August: Osage County." If this makes a difference, "In the Heights" is 2 hours, 30 minutes, and "August: Osage County" is 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Aduchamp1 Feb 2nd, 2009 12:38 AM

Osage County is an extremely well written play about a family with open secrets and unresolved relationships. It wavers btween wit and pathos and although the running time is long for a play, it passes quickly.

If your grand daughter understands there are all types of familial realtionships, I would highly recommend it.

doug_stallings Feb 2nd, 2009 04:55 AM

How diffferent can two plays be? First off, In The Heights is a musical while August: Osage County is a very long but extraordinary play. I loved it, but unless your granddaughter is a huge theater fan, I don't think she'll be as capitvated as I was.

For a 16-year-old, I'd recommend the musical.

bethke14 Feb 2nd, 2009 07:26 AM

I saw both on my most recent trip to NYC. How much experience does your grand daughter have with the theatre? If she appreciates excellent plays, then August: Osage County is truly fantastic. Generally, however, I would say In the Heights for a 16 year old. I love In the Heights -- it's one of my favorites.

Shar Feb 2nd, 2009 07:51 AM

thanks for the replys. My grand daughter is new to theatre but loves her drama class and high school plays. We have taken her to about 4 plays and she loves them so I am torn between the two. We have tickets for Billy Elliot already so I think I'm leaning toward August Osage County - a non musical. She comes from an interesting family situation so I think she would understand it. I love musicals too so I am still thinking about it but need to make my decision soon. The length of the plays might enter into the decision factor. thanks again for the info.

Centralparkgirl Feb 2nd, 2009 08:14 AM

My first reaction was the same as Doug's, but after your last post, I'm not sure - definitely depends on the 16 year old. I wouldn't let the length of the play be a factor - August is so compelling that it moves along quickly.

mclaurie Feb 2nd, 2009 09:40 AM

I LOVED "In the Heights" and can't imagine any 16 yr old who wouldn't. If you'd like to take your granddaughter to a straight play, there are many other options including "Speed the Plow" and the new play "Impressionism" with an outstanding cast. The off Broadway production of The Cripple of Inishmaan has gotten raves. I think August Osage is a bit much for a 16 yr. old-and by much I mean length and content.

Aduchamp1 Feb 2nd, 2009 10:07 AM

Please do not be deterred by the length of Osage, it passes rather quickly.

HowardR Feb 2nd, 2009 11:26 AM

I don't think that Osage: Orange County is "too much" for a mature 16-year-older who loves the theater!

Centralparkgirl Feb 2nd, 2009 12:40 PM

HowardR - are you joking? Reread your post - LOL!

happytrailstoyou Feb 2nd, 2009 01:17 PM

If your hope is to please your granddaughter, take her to In the Heights.

HowardR Feb 2nd, 2009 01:17 PM

Oh, forgive me! It obviously should read August: Osage County. (Hey, maybe the show was too much for me!)

Shar Feb 2nd, 2009 01:27 PM

Thanks for all your help. Bought tix for In the Heights. It should be a great weekend with just gandma and grand daughter..2 plays - can't wait! has anyone taken the TV/Movie bus tour?