Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York theater (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-theater-959346/)

Nikki Dec 15th, 2012 12:41 AM

New York theater

I am hoping to spend a couple of nights in New York just before Christmas. I wasn't planning on it so haven't been following theater reviews. I would like to catch a show, either Broadway or off-Broadway, and was wondering what people have really enjoyed that is playing currently. Probably more interested in legitimate plays than musicals but open to hearing what people here have thought was good.

abram Dec 15th, 2012 04:43 AM

The Broadway banter thread has what you're looking for.

HowardR Dec 15th, 2012 05:51 AM

The best reviewed show of the year is a revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolff. Discount tickets are available at playbill.com and broadwaybox.com.
Another worthy choice would be War Horse which won the Tony eariler this year. Discount tickets are also available at the above-mentioned two sites.

Centralparkgirl Dec 15th, 2012 05:57 AM

Follow Abram's suggestion.

The dramas that I enjoyed and are still running are: Golden Boy, Virginia Wolf, Tribes, War Horse (for staging) and Outgoing Tide.

abram Dec 15th, 2012 09:10 AM

Thanks, cpg--hope all is well with you.

Nikki Dec 15th, 2012 11:06 AM

Great suggestions, thanks, and I am checking out the banter thread too.

doug_stallings Dec 15th, 2012 03:13 PM

I saw The Heiress with Jessica Chastain last night. It's pretty good as well. Not great, but I enjoyed it. Peter and the Starcatcher is closing soon (it's a play with some music).

downtownbrown Dec 16th, 2012 11:44 AM

Saw War Horse.the staging is interesting. Note: it is at the Lincoln Center; not a bad seat in the house.

HappyTrvlr Dec 16th, 2012 01:27 PM

If you haven't seen "War Horse" I highly recommend seeing it. It is very different from any theater production I have ever seen. The theater at Lincoln Center is a perfect venue for it too.

YankyGal Dec 17th, 2012 10:06 AM

Since you mentioned "off," if you're interested in a holiday-themed show, we just saw "It's a Wonderful Life: The 1946 Live Radio Play" at the Irish Rep. Intimate space, good acting (6 actors play all the characters), $40-ish tickets, and when you leave, you're not in Midtown with the throngs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

maxima Dec 17th, 2012 05:29 PM

I very much enjoyed War Horse, Peter and the Star Catchers, The Mystery of Edwin Drood ( a musical where the audience votes for the ending to be performed)

War Horse is closing in early January. You should be able to get discount tickets for War Horse and Peter... check out broadwaybox.com and playbill.com/ there may be rush tickets at the box office for drood.

Centralparkgirl Dec 17th, 2012 06:10 PM

I agree about Peter and the Starcatchers - entertaining, clever and a great cast.

Thanks abram. Allis well and I hope with you too!

abram Dec 17th, 2012 07:26 PM

Yes, cpg--hoping to get to NYC for a theater weekend in 2013.

EmilyPost Dec 18th, 2012 02:51 AM

Newsies was fantastic when we saw it in early November. Get seats on the first mezzanine because a lot of the action occurs on 'scaffolding'. This musical is loosely based on the Newsboys Strike of 1899 in NYC.

Nikki Dec 21st, 2012 02:46 AM

Thanks everyone. It turns out that we will only be in the city Sunday and Monday nights, and I am having trouble finding something that will be playing then. There are some Sunday matinees, but I don't think we will be able to make it in time.

MareW Dec 21st, 2012 08:44 AM

I also prefer plays to musicals, and posted on the other thread that I saw a preview of "Picnic" last weekend. My husband and I enjoyed it very much.

MareW Dec 21st, 2012 08:48 AM

Just saw that you were looking for a play that runs on Sunday night. I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about "The Other Place".

Nikki Dec 21st, 2012 11:28 AM

And we have a winner. I just bought tickets for The Other Place.

Thanks for all the help.

Nikki Dec 23rd, 2012 06:56 PM

We saw The Other Place this evening and enjoyed it very much. Good writing and acting and a tour de force performance by Laurie Metcalf.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

MareW Dec 26th, 2012 12:00 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the update.