Reload this Page >

New York's Tenement Museum/lower east side

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
dmlove

My family were Russian-Jewish immigrants to New York in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I never heard of this museum until a week ago, reading about it on this site, but I want to visit when we're there in November. Does anyone have particular recommendations regarding which guided tour or tours to take? How long should I expect to spend there?

I know the Lower East Side is the up-and-coming neighborhood (when I was younger, the only reasons to go to the Lower East Side was that it was the only place to go for name-brand clothes at a discount, not to mention lunch at Ratner's -- I guess that no longer exists; blintzes sounds so good right now). Are there particular things we should see, or just wander a particular area - Orchard Street, etc.?

We get back to NY once a year -- I don't know how I missed this. (P.S. We were on the Staten Island Ferry last summer, and Ellis Island the trip before that).

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eat at Katz's Deli.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
dmlove

If there's no more Ratner's, we WILL eat at Katz's Deli!

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM

The tours are one hour long. Across the street from the tenement building is the visitors’ center with the gift shop, check in area and a room with a film about immigrants running in a loop all day. I think the film is about 20 minutes. I saw the Getting By tour. I really enjoyed the tour. The website gives a description of each tour. You should really buy tickets ahead of time.

http://www.tenement.org/index.htm
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM

No more Ratners.

Definitely check out the Tenement Museum. I think just about any tour is good and will give you a good sense of the history. If the weather is appropriate, also try one of their walking tours: it really gives a sense of the old immigrant history, and even some of the new! (For example, the building where they published the Jewish Forward is now luxury condos. How ironic!!)

BTW, Orchard Street has changed a lot. You'll be surprised!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
dmlove

My grandfather, who lived with us when I was young, was a tailor and subscribed to the Daily Forward. I'm really looking forward to this. I think we'll visit one of the tenements, and take the walking tour. Thanks. Ironic that they're only open Saturdays and Sundays in winter (Saturday being the Jewish sabbath).

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
dmlove

vjp, thanks. I'll definitely get tickets in advance, since they're only open weekends in winter and we're returning home on Sunday!

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM

The tours are excellent and well worth your time. We took the Getting By tour and I really appreciated being able to see how the changed (or not!) from the 1880s to the 1930s.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:09 PM
dmlove

Thanks all. I got tix for the Piecing It Together tour (since my grandfathers were both tailors, I thought it appropriate!). Appreciate the advice, and will definitely have lunch at Katz' Deli.