Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Restaurant suggestion (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-restaurant-suggestion-191209/)

Ann Apr 3rd, 2002 12:56 PM

New York Restaurant suggestion

Hi,<BR>I will be visting NY for the first time and will be staying at the Grand Hyatt NY (Mid-town). I am looking for restaurant suggestions for dinner and lunch. I would like the price range to be no more than $100 for dinner and $50 for lunch. Any suggestions?<BR>Thanks

xxx Apr 3rd, 2002 01:05 PM

wow. You really aren't too limited with that budget, unless you drink a lot, or have a full bottle of wine. An $18 appetizer, $38 main course, and a $12 dessert will allow two drinks or glasses of wine and a 20% tip to just hit the $100 mark. I'd do Le Bernadin or Le Cirque 2000, two of the nearby best, and you could still manage the budget for dinner. Or if you are a little over one night, cut back the next which should be easy. Do a $21 lunch special at the 21 Club in the saloon. An American Place is also great for lunch. Check out the places within Grand Central Station as well, right next door. The oyster bar is fun for lunch.

Howard Apr 3rd, 2002 01:07 PM

With those price ranges, you have many good restaurants to choose from. Do you want to restrict your options to the area around the hotel or are you willing to cab it?

Ann Apr 3rd, 2002 02:05 PM

Sorry I was not clear. The amounts I listed are for two people.<BR>Thanks!

xxx Apr 3rd, 2002 02:13 PM

Cancel my suggestions!

irene Apr 3rd, 2002 02:19 PM

How many nights are you in town? Dinner - Lupa (Italian), Zarela (upscale Mexican), Blue Water Grill (Seafood), Le Jardin Bistro (French), Zoe (various), Les Halles (French), Il Bagatto (Italian), Elephant (Thai/French), Ruby Foo's (Dim Sum), Josie's (Organic/Health - also good for lunch), Smith & Wollensky (Steak - also good for lunch), Waterloo Brasserie (Belgian), Teresa's (Polish). So many too list, do you have a preference for cuisine, location, etc?

denise Apr 3rd, 2002 02:49 PM

I love your choices irene. blue water grill is a great choice for sea food. and the service is great and the building is exquisite...used to be an bank Ann.

ryan Apr 3rd, 2002 03:22 PM

La Mangeoire on 2nd and 53rd has great Provencal food. They usually have several fixed price selections that are a great deal for a full meal. The price is approx. $25.<BR><BR>For lunch, if it is a nice day, walk along 42nd to just past 5th Avenue. Stop in Cosi Sandwich Bar. (Numerous combination options, custom made, on fantastic bread.) Walk across the street and have lunch in Bryant Park. It'll run no more than $10 per person.<BR><BR>John's Pizza, multiple locations, nearest on to your hotel is 44th and 8th, has great pies. The original location in the Village is still the best.

ann Apr 3rd, 2002 03:54 PM

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. These sound wonderful.<BR>Ann

thereuare Apr 3rd, 2002 04:53 PM

I'll "third" Blue Water Grill.<BR><BR>However, DON"T go to Smith and Wollensky! Old school steak house riding on its old reputation.<BR><BR>Take the subway to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Nice for dinner, but even better for lunch!

ann Apr 3rd, 2002 06:20 PM

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. These sound wonderful.<BR>Ann

annie Apr 4th, 2002 08:46 AM

Ann:<BR>I like Gallagher's on 52 Street. They are having a special for lunch $20.02. Aged beef, old time waiters.

xxx Apr 4th, 2002 08:52 AM

I've eaten at the very disappointing Gallagher's. I think you got it backwards, Annie. It's aged waiters and old time beef.

annie Apr 4th, 2002 09:09 AM

xxx<BR>Thanks for the laugh! :)!

desdemones Apr 4th, 2002 09:43 AM

Strip House on 12th Street has amazing steaks. Great decor (red silk covered walls, b&w george hurell photos)and great service. New York Magazine voted it best steakhouse last year. For something really different, how about Chez Es Saada, a dark and mystical Moroccan place in the east village. rose petals thrown on the winding staircase going down to the dining room. talk about a fabulous dining atmosphere. A new favorite is Dimsum GoGo in east broadway, by city hall. amazing dimsums by a french chef. Soooo good!!!

$$$ Apr 4th, 2002 09:52 AM

Ann,<BR><BR>Recheck these suggestions because many look like you're not squeezing 2 people in for $100. I think the original post threw a lot of people off.

danna Apr 4th, 2002 12:36 PM

How 'bout Becco? <BR><BR>Bargain Italian from the people who bring you Felidia. Still $29 for antipasti and 3 family style pastas? Still all wines $15 (that's a bottle, not a glass!)<BR><BR>You can eat in Little Italy for that, perhaps not the most gourmet, but good and an experience!<BR><BR>I beleive Food and Wine had an article on best meals in big cities under $25 last month. maybe you can find it.<BR><BR>for lunch: Katz Deli John's Pizza

Clematis Jun 18th, 2003 06:40 PM

I want to agree with thereuare about not going to Smith and Wollensky. I was there recently, at their grill next store. Although it was 3:30 PM with several empty tables, we were seated at a table with stains on the cloth and crumbs. After ordering cocktails, I asked the waiter to bring me the same thing the customer near me was eating. It was a thick cut of prime rib served in a shallow bowl. He brought me a thin cut on a plate. I mentioned it wasn't the same and he said &quot;the other one had that bone, I thought you wouldn't want that.&quot; Yeah, he said that.

What a shame we picked that place when there are so many terrific places to eat in NY.

abram Jun 19th, 2003 06:01 PM

We love Zen Palate, a lovely and delicious vegetarian Oriental restaurant with a location in the theater district. The Dervish, a pretty and tasty Turkish restaurant on 7th Ave near 47th St had a $20 per person pre-theater dinner. Shaan, for Indian food, is on (I think) 50th near 5th Ave. We have used the Zagat's guide to find ethnic restaurants in NY.

Pumpy Jun 19th, 2003 06:19 PM

Hello, this post is over a year old!