Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-report-409759/)

shadygrady Mar 11th, 2004 12:12 PM

New York Report

Well, I just returned from a long weekend trip to NY City. This was my second trip there. I haven't been since 2000.

Day 1: Arrived Friday morning and went straight to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, after checking in. Spent about 3 hours there. Loved seeing Monet, Van Goh, etc. Highlight was talking to one of the guards/staff near the baseball card exhibit. I think his name was Tony. He had worked there for 10 years and was an avid collector, knew tons of history on the cards and the exhibit. Left for lunch on the Upper East Side. Three Guys restaurant. Picked this because my friends and I frequently eat at a restaurant back home called TWO Guys, so we had to try THREE Guys. It was quite good. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Suggested the Souvlaki (spelling?) and it was great. Did some shopping for the rest of the afternoon and ate at America in/near Chelsea I think. It wasn't that good, and the service was horrible, I think we saw our waiter twice all night. But, the atmosphere was good. Not tourist filled at all. We ended the day on top of the Empire State Building. It was extremely windy, my friend got scared he was going to blow off. But, it was quite a sight.

Day 2: Saw a matinee showing of Rent. Incredible, I'd seen it before...but my friends had not. They loved it. I thought the current cast was the best I've ever seen. Spectacular. Afterwards visited Ground Zero, very surreal. Went in Century 21 to do shopping. I couldn't stand this place. Too many people and too much confusion. Ate dinner in Soho at a small restaurant, Risa. Quite surprised the meal was very good and the live jazz was great as well.

Day 3: Lunch at a pizzeria, Bella Napoli. Very good, owner very nice. Went to Canal street. I'm not a big fan of Canal street, too much going on for me, but we did witness an arrest. My friend was looking at DVDs and out of nowhere a cop tackled the vendor to the ground. It was crazy. Spent the rest of the day in Central Park. There was a youth ice skating competition at Wollman (sp?) Rink. I had never been into Central Park and enjoyed it very much. Ate dinner at a small pub for time and met up with other friends who were in town. Went for drinks at Merchants (i think). Nothing special, just a typical lounge.

Day 4: Cold and rainy. Did some shopping then headed back home. :(

Had a blast, wish I was still there.

MadisonV Mar 11th, 2004 12:31 PM

What hotel did you stay at??

shadygrady Mar 24th, 2004 09:25 AM

I can't believe i didn't mention the hotel. It was awful. The Arlington. My friend was in charge. I was the grossest place I've ever stayed. DON'T stay there. One Interesting note, it was next to Jay Z's club, 40/40. 2 hour wait to get in, not that I'd want to. It was super nice though.

Margie Mar 24th, 2004 09:37 AM

Thanks for posting your report, sounds like you and your friends had a great weekend! And thanks for the note about the hotel - always good to know what to avoid!

emd1 Mar 24th, 2004 09:37 AM

Thanks for the info on the baseball card exhibit. Now I have another reason to go to NY soon.
BTW- I live outside D.C. and here in Northern VA we have 5 GUYS, w/the best burgers and fries. It's a living legend around here.