Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York, question about car service from hotel to airport

Apr 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Am going to take advice given by robhart and others and use a car service from midtown hotel back to LGA. Will use Carmel Car Service, probably a van or SUV, rather than limo. How far ahead should I make reservations for this. Also how much time should I allow for travel from midtown to LGA on a Friday morning in order to make a 10:55 AM flight.
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:04 PM

With Carmel, making the reservation the day before usually works, although for Friday you might make it two days ahead. I am the compulsive type who double checks it the night before.

When you I've made a reservation to go to the airport, they have usually asked me when my flight was, and then told me when they would pick me up in order to make it to the airport at the proper time.

I would guess, though, that if you want to be at the airport at 9:30 (90 minutes before your flight), then you should allow an hour to get to LGA. That's a generous amount of time -- usually you can do it in less time (at least I have from the Upper West Side) but midtown during a Friday rush hour may be unpredictable. Others might have differing opinions for the traveling from midtown.
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Forgot to add -- if you are reserving a larger car, then you should definitely reserve a few days ahead. Their normal car is a towncar -- suitable for 2 or 3 passengers plus luggage. They ask you how many passengers, bags, etc., when you make your reservation so that you can get the proper sized car.
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM

IF it were me, I'd have the car arrive at my hotel no earlier than 8:45am.

I'd guess 9:00-9:15am would be fine, but one wouldn't want to get nervous.

Enjoy NYC!
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I decided on a van or SUV, as I have had bad experiences with Limos. The back seats are flat and it makes it difficult to get in and out of the car. A town car would be better. Will check price on both types of vehicles.
Yes, I check and double check everything. So much to do and see in New York. Know it will great, due to all the good advice I have received from each of you.