Search

New York People: Please give me your opinion of this apartment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York People: Please give me your opinion of this apartment

Hi

I am looking for a place for my friend and I to stay in NYC for three nights in December. (12/13-12/16) Hotels are too expensive, so I am going the apartment route. Of course many of them have been booked already, but my friend found this one. The apartment looks good to me. I am willing to sleep on the couch.

My main question is about the area. It is directly across from Macy's. I haven't been to Macy's in a long time, so not quite sure what it is like around there these days.

Some background: I have been going to Manhattan once a year or so for the past 10 years, so I am familiar with the city, but not really this area. I usually stay in Midtown. My favorite parts of the city are Midtown, Upper West Side, Union Square, SoHo, and the West Village.

I would appreciate any feedback. Here is the apartment: http://www.homeaway.com/USA/New-York.../1/p113165.htm

Thanks,
Johanna
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:08 AM

The apt itself looks nice and new and sunny. It has a very nice kitchen by NYC standards.

I am not familiar with that building, but I wouldn't call "across from Macy's" a very desirable location. It is certainly near many transportation options, but Macy's itself surrounded by lots of low-rent storefronts. There is almost nowhere to eat in the neighborhood other than fast food (think "Sbarro"). If it's just a place to lay your head at night, it would work.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:17 AM

It looks nice, but states the minimum rental is one week?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

My friend has been emailing the owner and he will let us have it for three nights.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Gracie; I can't comment on the location or apartment, and I don't know if this would interest you or not, you definitely need to be a specific type of personality - but several people I've met have used it and been pleased - with the referrals and the accomodations - as close as the east coast and as far away as Paris - they had wonderful experiences and thought it was a great way to travel for people on a budget who loved meeting other people and people who wanted to share their knowledge about their cities or towns -

www.couchsurfing.com
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM

No food except for Sbarro's? You're within a block's distance from koreatown...Kang Suh is a great place to try. Good luck making your decision.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:15 AM

For the location, you can't get much more midtown than this area. The restaurant choice is getting better in the area, and the subway and bus are very close, so you can be just about anywhere in Manhattan in a few minutes.

I would say if the price is right grab it.

Let us know if you need any other suggestions.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM

This is a very convenient location for a tourist, though you'll find 34th Street very busy. It's kind of a crowded, noisy area, but the building seems to be tall (the views from the windows are unobstructed), so hopefully the apartment is high enough to avoid most noise. If you are comfortable dealing with this owner, then book it; just realize that if something goes wrong, you'll find very few last-minute alternatives available in the city at this time. And if it's only $250 a night, then you can't do better for the price.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Am not familiar with this building - didn't even know there were apartments in this area. It is quite central and has good subway access - but not a lot of places to eat nearby and quite dreary at night.

Given the choice I would want to stay in a residential area (upper east or west sides, village, chelsea etc) versus a fairly low rent business district.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Will the owner provide references (plural) to assure you that this short-term rental apartment exists? Pictures are nice, but who knows what they are.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I also meant to offer the suggestion of the Pod Hotel, which often has rooms for 2 if you are willing to share for $ 200 per night and seems to have some left for December on cheaphotels.
try even their website if you are nervous about the apt. - www.thepodhotel.com and look at their offerings
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has given their opinions so far. We are still deciding.

Johanna
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Double check who/how to contact in case of problems. Then call them now and see what answers you get if, for instance, the plumbing goes bad.

The only number listed there is a cell - and I would be hesitant not to have a land line and address for a contact.

Also - get an exact address - and perhaps someone local can look to see the building really exists - and is apartments.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Get the names and contact info for people who stayed there (or who the "owner" says stayed there). Ask them questions about the place. If they really stayed there, they'll know stuff like what floor it's on, what direction the windows face, etc.

With hotels, you know that the property is there and that they really have rooms. Do you really know anything about nthis place?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Well, it's not actually across from Macy's. It's a block over to the east between 5th and 6th Aves - which is a good thing. The fine print in the comments indicates the entrance is actually on 33rd, not 34th, putting it right around the corner from the entrance to the Empire State Building. It's certainly not a happening, hip neighborhood - but it's fine.

As someone else mentioned, the apartment is very close to Koreatown for dinner. You're also not far from the restaurants on Park Avenue South. And the Ginger Man is a fun bar on 35th between 5th Ave and Madison.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi everybody

Just wanted to give an update since you all were so kind to give your opinions. We have actually decided to go with an apartment in Union Square. We are both really excited because this is one of our favorite places in the city. I can walk to Union Square Cafe for dinner! Plus there is a subway line close so we can go uptown easily.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I'm really looking forward to being in NY at Christmas.

Johanna
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM

Excellent location. Be sure to make your reservations at Union Square Cafe exactly 30 days in advance. I believe phone lines open at 9:30. Though I've had very good luck with OpenTable.com at Danny Meyer restaurants (but this is the busiest time of the entire year in NYC).

Also, if you can't get a reservation for dinner, consider lunch, or since you are staying nearby actually walk in about 11am and ask at the podium to tell you if they have a cancellation that night.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:56 AM

OK, gracie, you teased us with one apartment link. Now you tell us you've booked a place at Union Square. So where's the link to that -- or are you keeping this one secret for yourselves? LOL
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:14 AM
dmlove

What other restaurants does Danny Meyer own? (My one and only dinner at Union Square Cafe, last year, was one of the best meals I've ever had).

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM

Grammercy Tavern
11 Madison
Blue Smoke
Tabla

I hate to say this but while I've always enjoyed Union Square Cafe, I've always been annoyed at having to wait for my reservation -- with NO place to stand or wait. The bar is always filled with diners and the only "hallway" to stand puts you totally in the way of the waiters. And while the food and service are good, I've just never found them nearly as outstanding as Grammercy Park.

By the way, we finally hit Blue Smoke this past summer and I loved it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -