Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Marriott Marquis bar for appetizers and view (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-marriott-marquis-bar-for-appetizers-and-view-521847/)

sandypaws3 Apr 17th, 2005 06:17 AM

New York Marriott Marquis bar for appetizers and view

The Marriott Marquis used to serve appetizers and drinks in the bar, and it was supposed to have a good view. However, I can't find any current information on it on Fodor's. I'm wondering if it's the Atrium Lounge, which has a view on Times Square. I noted there is a newly renovated revolving restaurant, called The View, but that's above our budget. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get appetizers and drinks in the bar?

Sandy

Patrick Apr 17th, 2005 08:56 AM

The Atrium is huge and yes you can get drinks and appetizers there, but to think you'll have much view unless you happen to snag one of the very few tables that has one is kind of wishful thinking.

The real view is at the revolving place -- the View. When do you want to go? Can't you still just do drinks and appetizers there? We certainly have in the past.

GoTravel Apr 17th, 2005 09:03 AM

And I'm the opposite of Patrick. I think the The View is too high and the view is much better from The Broadway Bar on the eighth floor.

For a really spectacular view, go have a drink on the rooftop of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can also have an appetizer there (it isn't as expensive) but there aren't really tables and chairs. Amazing view.

sandypaws3 Apr 18th, 2005 06:00 AM

Patrick,
Thanks for the information! We've never been to New York... this is our first visit (in July). We'd love to have just drinks and an appetizer in the revolving restaurant. I wasn't sure if you could. Good to know you've done that. Not sure what time we'd be going... still trying to figure that out. Perhaps for dessert and coffee instead of drinks and appetizers.

GoTravel,
Thanks! I'll check out the Broadway Bar :-) Also, we planned to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art anyway, so that sounds like a good idea too.

Sandy

bbyo Apr 18th, 2005 06:45 AM

Just stayed at the Marriott this past weekend. We tried to go to the View for just dessert and we were told that they only except dinner reservations. I think you can still go up to the bar, but if you are not staying at the hotel or do not have dinner ressies, it is $7.00. The line was really, really long. The View opens at 5:30pm. We went to the Atrium Lounge instead. If you're lucky you can get a window table. During the day they don't serve in that area so you can get a great window table.

bbyo Apr 18th, 2005 06:46 AM

Forgot to tell you that they serve drinks, appetizers and desserts in the Atrium at night until 11:30pm.

al Apr 18th, 2005 07:34 AM

Go to the Atrium Lounge. When I last visited The View (about a year ago) the view wasn't all that great -- about 1/4 to 1/3 of the view is the side of the Viacom building, and another third is looking west at the river and New Jersey, which isn't very exciting. You have a very limited view of Times Square (looking north only) and the Empire State Buildling is visible for a very short time. The view east is the only portion where you can pick out a few things from the air.

The best place for a "view" is the Empire State Building. The wait may be long during peak times but it's totally worth it -- day or night.

sandypaws3 Apr 26th, 2005 01:29 PM

bbyo,
Thanks! Good to know ahead of time that they only accept dinner reservations in The View. Also, the informatiion about the Atrium is helpful.

Sandy

sandypaws3 Apr 26th, 2005 01:33 PM

al,
Thanks for the information on the Atrium and The View. The Atrium sounds like what we're looking for to relax and have a drink, while looking at the view, if possible.

Sandy

Sabrina Apr 26th, 2005 02:33 PM

My daughter and I went up to The View after seeing a play at the Marquis theater . It was around 10:30 at night. We had no trouble getting a table for appetizers and drinks. I don't remember waiting. It was rather expensive, but it was a one time experience. This was a couple of years ago.