Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York : Marriot Marquis or New York Palace ?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Monica

We are planning a trip to New York for this summer.
We are undecided between the Marriot Marquis and the New York Palace.
Any recommendations as to which would be nicest, best location?
Thanks.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:50 AM
howard

It's a tough choice. Both are in convenient locations--the Marriott in Times Square and the Palace on Madison Ave., a block from Rockefeller Center.
So, that's a wash.
And, both are quality hotels. The Marriott has a bit more hustle and bustl, and perhaps a bit more touristy, being in the center of Times Square.
The choice might come down to price. How do the prices compare?
Regardless, you can't do wrong with either.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Neal Sanders

Beg to differ with Howard, but the Palace wins hands down assuming the prices are comparable. The Palace very, very nice; down comforters in the rooms, marble baths, glorious public areas. The rooms (those with a west-facing view) overlook St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center; higher floor (the hotel is 50 stories) see to forever.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:36 AM
Patrick

I have stayed in both hotels. At the Palace we requested and got a northwest corner room which are the largest ones. Yes the room was large and wonderful and had a nice view, but I much prefer the Marriott Marquis. Yes, it is a bit more touristy and often filled with conventioners, but I'm a tourist too and don't mind being one in NYC. Although the rooms are not quite as large as the corner one we had at the Palace, they are still quite big, (probably about the same size as the standard ones at the Palace) and very nicely furnished. We get a full size sofa and a comfortable lounge chair with ottoman that we always turn to face out the wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows that look right up Broadway -- pretty spectacular. And because we do theatre every night (twice on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays) the location is even better than the Palace. I suppose if I could get the Palace for considerably less than the Marquis, I might go for it, however.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 07:33 AM
howard

It's not worth debating, much less arguing about, Neal. I'll stick with my original response: You can't go wrong with either!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:08 AM
guy

I agree with the person who said..You can not go wrong...I have stayed at both..Both have advantages...You can not make a bad choice..

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:27 AM
kathy

The elevators are a mess at the Marquis. You will spend hours of your trip waiting in line for them...not to mention the danger of everyone's short tempers. Stay at the Palace!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Howard

Ah, Kathy, the secret is knowing where to wait to avoid the wait!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:00 PM
kathy

Ah, Howard! No one should wait for something that mundane as an elevator. Arrival and departure from one's room should be a given. Save your "secrets" ...I would stay at the Palace.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:56 PM
pam friedman

Palace by all means--still within walking distance to the theatre district, but I find the Palace's neighborhood much more walker-friendly at most hours--Times Sq, though certainly Disneyfied, is still a bit overwhelming and chaotic.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Patrick

Disneyfied, but overwhelming and chaotic? Yes, and that is exactly what I love about New York. If I didn't want overwhelming and chaotic I'd stay home. I love the adrenalin rush I get whenever I'm in Times Square -- to me that's what New York is all about!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Howard

Right on, Patrick!!!