Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Manhatten room for four? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-manhatten-room-for-four-267771/)

Dave Oct 22nd, 2002 12:52 PM

New York Manhatten room for four?

Can anyone recommend a hotel with rooms with that has two queen beds, priced under $200 a night, which does not smell or have bugs for a family of 4 for a stay of 3 nights in mid-November in Manhatten. I realize there a hundreds of places to stay in New York but I have found few hotels with rooms that sleep four people, that do not cost an arm and a leg or have posted horror stories about the rooms or hotel.

Cindy Oct 22nd, 2002 01:16 PM

I have found that in general, the hotels will not promise you 2 queen beds (in fact, most simply don't have them). Check out the Doubletree in Times Square. We've stayed there it's very good. They have kings in the bedrooms and pull out queen sofas in the living room. There is also enough room for a cot. With 2 teenage boys, we've resorted to traveling with a camp-cot and it works great! No bigger than a medium size tote bag.

Lisa Oct 22nd, 2002 01:16 PM

What about Radio City Apartments? I haven't stayed there but I've read reviews here from people who have. From what I hear, the decor is a little dated but it's clean and comfortable and the price is fairly reasonable. They have 1 bedroom apts for up to 4 guests & 2 bedroom apts for up to 5.<BR>The kitchenettes would also come in handy for having quick breakfasts or lunches.<BR><BR>Here's their website:<BR>http://www.radiocityapts.com/

M Oct 22nd, 2002 07:25 PM

You may try the Kimberley Suites hotel. I was there for work and they put me in that hotel, and it was 180 a night and it was basically a one bedroom apartment with a king bed and then a seperate living area with a pull out couch. Older hotel, but nice, clean and even had a kitchen. It is on 51st(i think) and 3rd in midtown. Have fun.

mms Oct 22nd, 2002 08:57 PM

We stayed at the Gorham Hotel near times Square (54th ave) and Central Park last spring. We had a two room suite. The sitting room had a twin pull-out couch bed and the bed room had 2 queens. We had a terrific rate of $170. But I don't know if that low rate is available anymore. It was a wonderful hotel!!

Alan Oct 23rd, 2002 04:34 AM

Hi, Dave!<BR>We got a room for four at the Madison for $88. I think it may have been a double and two singles. The Madison is nicely-located on 27th and Madison, the room was pleasantly large, looked out onto 27th, and had neither bugs nor smells. The management was friendly, and the free breakfast at the diner next door was... well, better than nothing. Overall, it is a great deal. You can't book on the net, but you can "inspect" the hotel on www.madison-hotel.com. Good luck!

Marj Oct 23rd, 2002 06:43 AM

Also the Hotel Avalon is very nice. It has a suite with 2 queen and a living room area with sofabed. Also include a nice continental breakfast. You can probably get a good deal at the Embassy Suites in the Financial district, although it's a bit out of the way but has great views of the hudson river and across from the hudson river parks (which may come in handy with kids).

rachel Oct 23rd, 2002 06:59 AM

The Roosevelt has rooms with 2 double (but not queen size) beds. There is also enough floor space for a rollaway or air-mattress. It is clean, reasonable, and well located (midtown-near Grand Central Station. Look on quikbook.com for good rates or call the hotel directly. sometimes their own rates and specials are even better than internet rates.

Susan Oct 23rd, 2002 11:23 AM

Dave, I got a rate of $209 on orbitz, for a AAA discount at the Avalon. As Marj described, the rooms are suites with two queen beds in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room. Gets good reviews.

Dawn Oct 26th, 2002 07:38 AM

The New York Helmsey on 42nd street was excellent, we've just returned from there this week &amp; paid$120 per night for 1 room with 2 double beds. The location was excellent for all sight seeing trips either on foot, by subway or bus.

John Oct 28th, 2002 11:50 AM

I stayed at the Doubletree also. It was good but not great

Cindy Oct 30th, 2002 01:03 PM

I stayed at the Helmsley on 42nd recently and the room was so thoroughly disgusting that Leona sent me a full refund!

Dawn Oct 30th, 2002 03:37 PM

I can only say again how good our rooms ....yes we had two rooms.. were at the New York Helmsley. We would stay there again no problems at all.