Reload this Page >

New York - Lots of Restaurant Ques??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Haley

Okay - coming to NYC in mid Dec. It's my birthday celebration (30) and my husbands first (and somewhat reluctant) trip to NYC.

I need some suggestions for:

First night in NYC - we get in around 6 and are staying at the W NY. I want to walk to Rockfeller Center, see the tree,etc. Where can we eat in the general vicinity? Casual preferred over stuffy. Atmosphere (to impress hubby w/ how cool NYC is) is probably most important - as of course is the food quality!

2nd night - Great place for Birthday dinner. We don't have other plans so its all about food and drink (and all about my b-day of course). I am considering based on friends recommendations, etc.:
Asia D'Cuba (should I set my sights higher?)
Cafe D'Artist (will I ever a get a rervation?)
Il Cantinori

3d Night: First time for both of us to a broadway show. Need recomendations for somewhere to eat. Is it better to eat before or after? As we are staying at the W, I presume we will take a cab to the theater district?

Umm, one more thing. That movie Coyote Ugly was on cable this weekend (I swear we did not rent this) and in order to lure my hubby to NYC I mentioned that perhaps we could find this bar? Is that a real place? Come on - I gotta throw the guy a bone.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 03:29 AM
mh

I cant answer your food questions since it has been ages since I have been to NYC. But as for the bar it is based on a bar called "Hogs and Heiffers" somewhere in lower manhatten. I am sure that some other NYC savy fodorite can provide the exact location. NYC is awesome so have fun!!!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Mike

Coyote Ugly is actually it's own bar located at 1st Ave @ 9th St. Hogs n Heifers is similar but more Harley based and is in the meat packing district.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
mia

Hi Haley, I have a couple of restaurant suggestions for you for theater night, which you could go before-maybe get a prix fix dinner or have a snack and go after..Amarone 9th bet.47 & 48th Italian /Barbetta 46th bet.8th & 9th-romantic /Carmines 44th Broadway &8th-big family style Italian /Jezebel 9th & 45th..southern...In the E 50's An American Place 222 E 58 / Bice 227 E 56 / Deux Amix 356 E 51st...these are all good and you can probably look them up in Zagats.What show are you seeing? Cafe Des Artists is great/romantic/perfect for a birthday dinner!Happy Birthday~M

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Merilee

Hi Haley...Hogs and Heifers is located on Washington Street at 13th Street...telephone number is (212)929-0655...I thought there was another location on 1st Avenue in the 90's...some birthday dinner suggestions...One if by Land, Two if by Sea, The River Cafe (under the Brooklyn Bridge which serves a chocolate dessert shaped like the bridge), The Water Club, and although many posters will say it's too touristy I think the Russian Tea Room is worth the trip once in a lifetime because it is lavishly decorated and the food is fine...I'd recommend it over Tavern on the Green...Cafe des Artistes is very nice also...In the theater district I like Chez Josephine which by the way is owned by Josephine Baker's son...Sardi's is a theater district institution with all the caricatures of the famous...I have dinner before the theater because I don't like to eat a big meal at 10:30 or 11:00PM, but everyone has a different idea about that.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Pat

Has nothing to do with New York, but Coyote Ugly is opening a New Orleans branch in time for Mardi Gras 2002.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:19 AM
sss

If you want something special near the W that is the one near Union Square? I would go to Patria's Latin infused food.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Patrick

I'm a big fan of eating after the show so the drinks, food, and wine don't slow me down during the show and we don't have to worry about catching the curtain. After your first Broadway show, I'd suggest going to Joe Allen's on 46th -- a short walk from most theatres. You need to make reservations exactly one week before (they won't take them earlier than that). It's a brick basement sort of place -- very casual and extremely popular with actors and show biz types. One night we were surrounded by Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick (after the Producers, of course), Sarah Jessica Parker, Mary Louise Parker and her costars of Proof, Michelle Lee, and a number of others -- all in one night. The food is good and reasonable -- not spectacular. They feature everything from hamburgers and omelets to great Calves' Liver with onions and grilled chicken.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:50 AM
sisi

I'm also taking my husband to NYC to celebrate his birthday.We are in our late 30's but still like to stay out late and have a good time.Atmosphere is important but don't want to get turned away at the "velvet rope".Not looking for clubs just cool restaurants and bars that serve after the theater and later.

thanks,sisi

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Dawn

Haley,
I live in NY and use http://newyork.citysearch.com/ religiously! I work in midtown and there are thousands of restaurants that would suit your needs. It's hard to pinpoint your tastes so you should look at this site as a guide.

I've been to all three of your restaurants on the 2nd night. I liked Cafe D'Artiste the best (but then again I like French food more when dining out than Italian or communal seating). The ambiance is better but then again, it is a personal choice.

I don't know which W your are staying at but if it is the one on Lex/50 ish you can walk to the theatre district easily. Especially if you have really nice weather like today!

I always like to eat after a show especially if it is a weekend. You'll get better deals with a pre-theatre
menu but then you will be eating at 6:00 or so. It depends. I personally do not like to be rushed for dinner before seeing a play (especially if you eat a lot and then sit for 2+ hours). Just my two cents. I like to eat later - you'll have a better time getting a table later as well especially on the weekends.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Michelle

I personally don't really like Cafe des Artistes. For the theatre district I would recommend Barbetta (very romantic) or Firebird (very interesting Russian restaurant). Around Rockefeller Center is a new rest. called Medi that had a nice atmosphere. As others have said, I would really go to newyork.citysearch.com and take a loot and restaurants and nightlife. You'll find tons of info.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Michelle

Oops... sorry... it's already been a LOOONG day. That typo was supposed to read "take a LOOK AT" restaurants and nightlife. My apologies.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Sharon

My husband and I love the W on Lex. The hotel has a gym and a wonderful spa. There is a great thai place nearby, Vong(jean Georges Vongerichten). The hotel itself has a fab restaurant, Heartbeat(heart healthy). Le Cirque is wonderful for a birthday celebration. Asia de Cuba is good for drinks but, the entrees are very small. You should definitely have dinner after the show.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Elizabeth

For your first night I suggest the Brasserie which is in the 50s off Park Avenue. It's both casual and special. it was the hippest place in the western hemisphere in the 60s, the only place open all night, the denizens of the night made entrances after midnight.

It's been re-vamped and re-opened, now I think it's open only until 1 or 2, and wins awards for its (60s inspired) decor. It has the kind of food the name suggests, which once was a novelty outside of Paris!!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Frank

Elizabeth's mention of the Brasserie calls to mind that it shares the kitchen with the Four Seasons restaurant, one of the all time greats in Manhattan. It's in the Seagram's Building at Park in the 50's. Its a great special occasion restaurant, and don't forget to ask to be seated in the Pool room.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 03:34 PM
marlon

what are the hip restaurants that have not made fodors,zagat or other travel books.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:09 PM
steve

The restaurant around W are infinetly better than those in the theatre district. Patria was a good suggestion. Union Square Cafe is also great. Gotham Bar and Grill also tops. Grammercy Tavern should also be considered. Yama is another top choice. All are within 10 minute walk of hotel, and all are among the best in the city. For a drink before the show for the literate, try Pete's Tavern where O'Henry wrote Gift of the Magi, its around the corner from you. Do not eat there, the food is bad, but have a drink. If you must eat in the theatre district, and want to get a jump on the Zagats crowd, try DB's, Daniel Boulud's new cafe right next to the Algonquin Hotel on 46th (or is it 44th?) between 5th and 6th. Try the hamburger. I know it sounds ordinary but trust me, it is extraordinary. Enjoy!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Elizabeth

Steve mentions a lot of great restaurants but they are near the W Union Square, not the W New York which I think is where you said you're staying. W New York is on Lexington Avenue in the 50s, as I imagine you know.

In my own opinion & in spite of the view of others, I think it's best to eat in the theatre district when you're going to the theatre, unless you are comfortable with leaving enough time to travel to the theatre by subway. Myself I would always rather be able to just get up and walk to the theatre. I have many times noted the absence of available taxis in the streets after 7:30 pm, enough to operate on the assumption that I can't count on them. There may be locations where this isn't true; it is true at Park Avenue near Union Square, which is where I'd be looking, and I've found it to be true in the east 40s and 50s, where your hotel is.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 02:00 PM
susie

I have eaten at Le Cirque 2000 and didn't particularly care for it. It was stuffy enough and the desserts were wonderful, but I didn't really like the food. Does any one else feel this way?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Rob

If you husband is a baseball fan, he may enjoy dinner at Mickey Mantle's on Central Park South. Food is good and its very casual. It's also a beautiful walk as you can head north up 5th Ave. after seeing Rockefeller Center on your way to the restaurant. When you get to FAO Schwartz on 5th, turn left and walk by the Plaza Hotel. Mickey's is on that street on the tip of Central Park (across from the Carriage rides).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -