Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Itinerary with Teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-itinerary-with-teens-678483/)

virginiatraveler Feb 10th, 2007 07:56 AM

New York Itinerary with Teens

We are a family with 2 teen boys, ages 12 and 16, coming to NYC for 3 days/nights over Spring Break. We'll first stop in Philadelphia for a 1/2 day to see some historical sights, staying over at the Independence Park Hotel in the historic district. We plan to go to Jim's Steaks for a Philly Cheesesteak, and then maybe to Franklin Fountain for ice cream.

On to New York the next day, arriving late morning. We'll be staying at the Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel at Lexington and 51st. Our plans for the day are:

Street Vendor for lunch by Central Park?
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Explore Central Park
Dinner at John's Pizza, Carnegie Deli, or Stage Deli
Altar Boyz

The next day:
Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island (already bought tickets for the first tour out)
Ground Zero
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
Grimaldis for pizza? or head back and go to Ellens Stardust Diner for dinner (after theater crowd thins out)
Should we take the subway on this day to and from the South Seaport? There is a stop right outside our hotel.

We have a whole other day to explore neighborhoods (Upper West, Village, Lower East, Chinatown?) Thought about checking out ESPN Zone and Grand Central Station.

We'll leave the next day to head home (traveling by car). Plan to have breakfast one day at Ess-a-Bagel, as it is close to our hotel.

Itinerary help, please?!! Help me map out that third day!

doug_stallings Feb 10th, 2007 08:16 AM

This actually sounds like a great itinerary for teens. Here's all I'd add.

I'm not at all impressed by the expensive vendors by Central Park, but I've had more luck by the ones that congregate near the corner of 5th and 59th Street than anywhere else. I usually prefer Pastrami Queen, which is on Lexington Ave., just south of 86th Street (maybe a 10-minute walk from the park), so it's convenient to the Met. If you go the deli route for lunch, then just do pizza for dinner and maybe do it after the show instead of before if you don't mind eating late.

I"m not as big a fan of Grimaldi's as some, so I usually prefer John's. You might not actually want to walk all hte way across the bridge ... halfway is usually enough, and the Brooklyn side isn't that scenic. I'd give Ellen's Stardust Diner a skip (very mediocre food, though the singing waiters can be fun). If you like barbecue, you might consider Virgil's (but requires a reservation); Ollie's Noodle Shop is also pretty good for Chinese food. Or if you want something a bit different, I really like Old San Juan, but it's on 9th Avenue and a bit out of the way if you are staying on the east side. But you might also just do Chinatown after your walk on the Brooklyn Bridge; you could stop at a dim sum place, and that's not more than 10 or 15 minutes by foot from the bridge. Another unusual (but excellent) restaurant is the Malaysian restaurant Nonya, which is at 149 Grand Street, just north of Chinatown. Or there's a long string of Vietnamese restaurants on Baxter Street, all of which are pretty cheap. My favorite is Nha Trang.

I'd encourage you to visit the Museum of Natural History if you go to the UWS. It's one of the best museums in the city.

nytraveler Feb 10th, 2007 10:17 AM

Suggest you go to the web site of the Met to pick out which departments you want to see in advance - since you will have time for only 3 or 4 of the dozens. Would defiitley includ Egpytian/Temple of Dendur, Arms & Armor and then see which others are interesting.

I would also try of fit in the Museum of Natural History if you can. No only does it have fantastic departemtns on fossils (esp dinos), human evolution, incredible gems, but alos several IMAX movies. check in aadvance to see which movies are on when.

Lastly you might want to consider one of th eomor extensive boat trips. the one to SO and Ellis Isloand is really only a small part of the harbor - and there's much more to see of that and the rivers surrounding Manhattan.

nytraveler Feb 10th, 2007 10:19 AM

Sorry - also check Central Park to see the dates of boat rentals - which can be fun and active for the kids. Or - you can rent bikes - allowing you to see much more of the park.

virginiatraveler Feb 10th, 2007 11:55 AM

One reason I didn't include the Museum of Natural History is that we've done the Smithsonian History Museums in Washington, and didn't think they would be too different. Maybe I should reconsider...

Am I crazy to put the family on a subway for the first Statue tour, being that it may still be rush hour? Or maybe that would make it more fun! Haven't done the subway before! Other option would be taxi.

What are your thoughts on the Grand Central Station area, and the ESPN Zone. Worth a visit? 16 year old is a sports nut!

skatedancer Feb 10th, 2007 12:27 PM

If your kids aren't theatrical performers, I"m not sure I'd bother with Ellen's, either. My kids have been there with groups, where they had a great time singing along, but it wouldn't have been quite the same being just with their family.
My kids love Brazilian restaurants, with enormous salad bars (more than just salad) where endless rounds of meat are brought around on skewers. Churascuria Plataforma is one place, with two locations. They also like Korean barbeque where the meat is cooked at the table.
They also really enjoy Chicago City Limits, an improv troupe which performs in a small nightclub in the theater district. It definitely has some off-color moments, but it is entirely driven by audience participation and it's such a small venue that alot of your suggestions get taken!

nytraveler Feb 10th, 2007 04:41 PM

During rush hour subway will get you downtown at least twice as fast as cab - never mind costing so much less. Definitely do subway.

elaine123 Feb 11th, 2007 06:05 AM

Doug, I'm curious...What is the official name of "John's". I went to menu pages, and there are several listings w/ John in them. Also, is there a location close to the Brooklyn Bridge?
I too, will be traveling w/ teens....

Also, Skatedancer, are teens allowed into the Chicago City Limits? It sounds like it might be a nightclub, and I was wondering if underage (15 & 17) kids would be able to enter.

Thanks

doug_stallings Feb 11th, 2007 07:33 AM

It's called John's Pizzeria. The original is on 12th Street in Greenwich Village (not so terribly far from the Brooklyn Bridge but not within walking distance). The second outpost is on 44th Street, near Times Square. I've read about a third on east 64th Street, but I can't vouch for that one. Many people get confused because there is a relatively popular Italian restaurant that is also called John's, but that's definitely not a pizzeria.

There's a lot of good pizza in NYC, so you can find other good choices, but in my opinion, you should avoid any by-the-slice place (most often really bad, warmed-over pizza) or anything called "Ray's," which to me has garnered an inexplicable positive reputation that is so completely lacking, it always keeps me guessing.

skatedancer Feb 11th, 2007 08:06 AM

Kids are absolutely allowed in to Chicago City Limits. We went when our youngest was either 12 or 13, and then we took my daughter and some friends for her 14th birthday party this fall. They just loved it. There is a two-drink minimum, but obviously we just went with soda!

As I said, though, be prepared to cringe a few times, because live improv lends itself to occasional moments of adult humor. If you've seen "Whose Line is it Anyway?" you will have an idea of some of the things that can happen!

It is set up like a nightclub with long tables perpendicular to the stage, but is not an adult-only venue.

MaureenB Feb 11th, 2007 08:13 AM

We enjoyed going to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) at sunset. You get a fantastic 360 view of Manhattan, and a direct view of the Empire State Building. It was not crowded at all when we were there in October, while the Empire State Building line was quite long. You can Google "Top of the Rock" and find it, or search this Forum, maybe there are still discount coupons available.
:)>-

jgg Feb 13th, 2007 05:36 PM

We missed the ESPNZone on our first trip but our returning in June and it is a definite this time for my 11 yo son. From everything I've heard it would be a big hit with your teen boys.

I would definitely go to Grand Central Station. We loved it there! Just be sure and be there when you are hungry the food court is absolutely incredible!! Our big mistake was going there right after lunch. This next trip we will be going there FOR lunch!!

lybern Feb 17th, 2007 08:04 PM

I second the suggestion of only walking half-way across the bridge. If you had more time, I'd say go all the way but there really isn't anything of great interest on the other side except the view back to Manhattan. I also agree with the idea of eating in China Town while you're downtown. It's not too far to walk if the weather is good. You can also check out Canal Street which can be real fun. My teens love to walk and watch as the neighborhoods blend one into the other. If you ahve the time, I recommend it rather than taking underground transportation.

Travel_Gato Feb 17th, 2007 11:52 PM

We were in NY last August, and Top of Rock just before sunset was not crowded, although got more crowded right at sunset. Definitely worth doing..better than Empire State which, from all I've read, has lengthy security lines. Can buy tix to Top of the Rock online.
Skip Grimaldi's. IMO, an unfriendly tourist trap. Visit Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, right on the water, instead (end of the Fulton Ferry Landing). We took a cab over to Brooklyn side and walked back. Very fun, and lovely views of NYC skyline.
I second the suggestion above of Virgil's--very good barbecue. Also agree with the comment about Grand Central's upscale food court. Very busy during lunch time though.
We did the Foods of New York tour of Greenwich Village. Totally lived up to its hype. Included both food samples and history of the neighborhood. My 12 & 15 year old also found the Tenement Museum intriguing (as did I). Have fun! (Tried to put the links in here, but Fodors did something bizarre to them)

Travel_Gato Feb 18th, 2007 12:21 AM

Forgot to add: you might also consider skipping Statue itself and going directly to Ellis Island. We did this after I read numerous forum comments. Because you're the first boatload, you see Ellis Island without any crowds, since the majority get off at the Statue. You'll still see the Statue close up, and I'm told there's not really much worth seeing inside. There's a lot to see at Ellis. For your sport nut, consider a tour of Yankee Stadium. You are taken into the locker room & get to sit in the Yankee dugout. Very cool, and last chance to see it before they move in 2008!

virginiatraveler Feb 18th, 2007 11:10 AM

Everyone has been so great about offering suggestions in this NY trip planning! Thank you! Thank you! Revisions for our 4 day 3 night stay...

We plan to arrive late morning and drop our bags at the Metropolitan Hotel in Midtown. We may grab lunch first at Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli (which is your preference?), before heading towards Central Park. Another option would be to stop at a vendor at 5th and 59th St. We plan to do the Metropolitan Museum and Central Park this first day, followed by dinner at John's Pizza and Altar Boyz.

Our second day will be Statue of Liberty/ Ellis Island, Ground Zero, walk halfway across the Brooklyn Bridge and back. Not sure where to have lunch...maybe on Ellis Island? It looks like the walk up to Chinatown is not too far. I'm not sure if we will eat in Chinatown or not, although I am intrigued by New York Noodletown, Momofuko Noodle Bar, New Green Bo, Jing Fong, or Ollie's, and certainly Nonya's as recommended by Doug. I'd like to try one of these places, but not sure if my son will like it, being that it's "different"! I feel like this is turning into an exhausting day! Tell me more about Max Brenner the Chocolate Man! This may be something fun...a dessert place? I may have to appeal to my son's sweet tooth after the Chinatown restaurant! Another option would be a great ice cream stop somewhere. My hesitation about Chinatown restaurant is not really knowing what the items are! Advice here?

Our 3rd day is wide open, and hope to explore Greenwich Village, NYU area, lunch at Corner Bistro, then head to ESPN Zone for some fun and games! I'm sure we'll find plenty to do this day as well, it's just that this day as not as planned out...maybe a good thing! Want to have dinner this night at a great Italian place, and was thinking about Becco for their Pasta Special, or DaRosina, both close to each other on Restaurant Row. Thoughts on this, please? We can go after the theater crowd thins out, but will make an advanced reservation if they take them.

Our last day will be a stop at Ess-a-bagel for breakfast, and then heading home (by car).

Dohlice Feb 20th, 2007 09:01 AM

ESPN Zone is a blast. The games are great. They should really enjoy the virtual race car. I'm not sure if you're planning on eating there, but the food is pricey and not especially good.

Don't go to Grimaldi's. Are you planning to go near the bull on Broadway near Wall Street? A place called Caruso's has pretty good pizza and it's a big place. John's in the Village would be my number 1 choice.

coolbluewater Feb 20th, 2007 09:35 AM

Momofuko Noodle Bar is not in Chinatown and always has a wait. Ollie's is a chain, not found in Chinatown either. I would consider Jing Fong for dim sum in Chinatown. Will your boys eat dumplings? Remember that at a dim sum place you can still order off a menu and if they want chicken and broccoli or a noodle dish, they can make that in the kitchen.

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is a do-not-miss in my book. You can get really great flavors (almond cookie is delicious) and I think most kids will like the selection (you can also get the classics).

Are you going to tell them about Nintendo World on 48th street? If not--avoid 48th street between 5th and 6th!

Naplo999 Feb 20th, 2007 11:15 AM

Definately go to Grand Central Station. IMO its the best piece of architecture in the city. Be sure to step back (a block or so) from the front to see the whole front facade. As well as checking out the inside.

You could also go to the Intrepid (aircraft carrier). The kids would probably like that.

In Philly Pat's and Geno's are the cheesesteak places to go to. Right across the street from each other. But Jim's is very good too and probalby more convenient since its on South St.

Dohlice Feb 20th, 2007 01:03 PM

The Intrepid is "out being cleaned".

Find the whispering wall in Grand Central, that's fun too.