Search

New York in July

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York in July

Hello! I am taking my mother on a trip to New York City in July (yes, I know that it will be hot and humid, but I'm a teacher and this is the only time that I have). Her main interest is going to the theater. I would also like to get to Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and Central Park as well.

1. Where is the best place to stay in order to hit all of these places on a limited amount of time (4 days)? Our budget is about $200 per night for lodging.

2. For those in the know, should I buy our play tickets ahead of time or is it best to buy discounted tickets once we're there?

Thank you for any advice that you can give. I want this to be a special trip for my mother. My father normally plans their vacations and she doesn't get much voice in where they go. When I asked her if she could choose any place, her immediate response was NYC. I just want her to have a great time!
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM

NYC is steamy and crowded in the summer months. Stay hydrated! You'll have plenty of time to visit Ellis Island and Liberty Island and also Central Park during a 4 day stay.

Buy your theatre tix before you get there. It would be awful to stand in the Tickets booth line in Times Square in the heat and humidity only to find that your preferred show is not discounted or has sold out. Check Broadwaybox.com for discounts.

Your bigger challenge will be your hotel budget. That's rather low. You might try bidding on priceline for rooms for 2 people only but you'd be sharing a bed with mom. Also, check on quikbook.com and their Secret Sale hotels. Of course you'll check on travlocity and expedia too. You can book something now, if you find something cancellable and decent in your budge,t and then continue to look for bargains closer to your travel dates. Travelzoo.com has discounts for about a month ahead.

The subway is the fastest (along with buses, the most cost effective) way to get around the city and it's easy to navigate. New Yorkers will help you with any questions you might have. The subway stations in July will be oppresively hot, be prepared!
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM

I think Midtown West or the Upper West Side would offer you the best subway access to your desired locations if limiting yourself to subway travel. If you're willing to take an occasional taxi, Midtown East could work as well.

Some shows never offer discounted tickets, so if you want to see the incredibly popular ones, like "The Lion King", "Book of Mormon", or "Wicked", you should buy the tickets as soon as possible. I would look at the shows that are discounted on Broadwaybox.com and try to purchase before you arrive in order to avoid wasting time in a long line to score discounts at TKTS (day-of-performance discounts). You can also bring the Broadwaybox.com discount codes and purchase at the theater box office for a particular show--much shorter line than TKTS.

You might buy theater tickets for most of your nights ahead of time, and then go to TKTSon a night you left free if you find you still need even more theater.

You should also book your Statue of Liberty Ferry tickets ahead of time--try for the earliest ferry in the day as the lines can be awful as the day progresses.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I think that I will book the theater tickets now. The last thing that I want to do is waste time in lines. As far as hotels go, we're not too picky. We just need a safe place to sleep luxury is not the number one priority.

Thank you both for the website for broadway tickets and thank you ellenem for the tip on getting ferry tickets early. I should have thought of that...I live near San Francisco and the number one tip that I give visitors is that they need to book their tickets to Alcatraz well in advance
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM

Unfortunately the Statue of Liberty has not yet reopened after damage to the island during Superstorm Sandy, There is no date yet for its reopening.

Theater tickets depend on what you want to see and how badly you want to see as specific show. Some shows routinely sell out so you'd be wise to order in advance. Some other shows are hot or miss on availability, and others are often available at a disocunt. If you post some of your choices here, we can advise. There afe hefty fees for ordering online, so if you're not wedded to specific shows, you can go directly to the box office once you;re here and buy full prioce or discounted tickets (with codes you can find online at the suggested sites) and save alot..

For a hotel, find something refundable that you could go with if somethng better doesn;t show up. Discounts are not yet showing up for July so check back once you have a plan B in mind.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM

Even with your timed tickets for the ferry, there are security lines (like at the airport) to pass through before you board the ferry, so booking for an early slot and arriving early will help.

The Broadwaybox discounts may not yet be current for July, but it will give you an idea of what discounts may be offered as the summer approaches.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Sorry for so many typos, I hit submit by mistake.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM

I forgot to say Ellis Island is also closed for the immediate future.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Definitely start looking for hotels now - sometimes you can get advance internet specials if you look this far in advance.

Seriously $200 per night (including 15% tax) is a VERY modest budget (luxury would be $800 per night plus). You need to book the best cancellable deal you can find now (good deals go very early) and then keep looking to see if you can find another choice.

One reliable budget choice on the upper west side is the Newton. But they are showing a rate of $240 plus tax for a room with 2 queen beds for random dates in July. If you are able to share a bed you can get something for about $180 per night (in NYC most rooms have only one bed - double or queen - not 2 as you often get in other parts of the country).
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM

I think midtown east would actually be a perfect place for you to start looking for a hotel. The Mela often shows up as a secret sale hotel on quikbook. Tiny rooms but it might work for a few days.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:11 AM

Definitely expand your interests beyond the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There is virtually no chance either will be open by this summer.

I think other people have already made this point, but I will reiterate: $200 is not a reasonable hotel budget for NYC except in January and February. The average room price (not luxury but rather quite modest) is about $250 and goes up from there. You can often find discounts in the summer, but there won't be too many choices.

A cheaper area of the city to stay in is Long Island City in Queens, which is 1 to 3 subway stops from Manhattan and about 15 minutes by subway from Times Square. Hotels there close to the subway include the Comfort Inn and Country Inn & Suites Long Island City. There are others, but these are typically the cheapest convenient hotels for Manhattan, and they usually cost under $150 in the summer. If budget is an issue, look there since these rooms have 2 beds. Most cheap hotels in Manhattan will require you to share a double (often just a double and not even a Queen).