Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York in January? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-in-january-362610/)

tdmort Oct 1st, 2003 01:33 PM

New York in January?

Can anyone give me any advice on visiting NYC in January? Is it too cold to think about being outside? Any suggestions on nice hotels? It's my 10 year anniversary and I want to do something different - I've never been to NY. Should I skip it and head for the sun?

Thanks!
Deb

suzanne Oct 1st, 2003 02:07 PM

January is THE coldest month here. If you're willing to SERIOUSLY bundle up (I mean covering up every inch of skin), and stay inside museums, restaurants, bars, stores, and Broadway shows all day (peeling off all your layers first so you don't sweat to death), then it's doable...but if I were you I'd head for somewhere warm...then come to NYC in any other time but winter!

sls15 Oct 1st, 2003 02:28 PM

The weather is certainly not balmy, but I think it depends on where you're coming from. I find New York winters pretty mild, but I grew up in Wisconsin. It is true, though, that January is probably the least appealing weather we have here...or maybe August when the sidewalks radiate heat and the buildings trap the humidity. If you're at all concerned, I say save NY for a spring or fall trip.

elberko Oct 1st, 2003 02:50 PM

Here's my report from a couple of years ago. We wouldn't hesitate to go to NYC in January again.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1339883

lvmh Oct 1st, 2003 03:55 PM

one thing that is a plus for new york in january is all the fabulous sales. (but maybe you won't want to do that on your anniversary ;) )

djkbooks Oct 1st, 2003 04:13 PM

Yes, it will likely be bitter cold outdoors, but it's easy enough to dress for being comfortable while out and about.

Nice things about going in January: Lowest hotel rates, fewer tourists, shorter lines/crowds.

It's really wonderful to "come in out of the cold" to a really nice cocktail lounge or restaurant with a fireplace going, or even just visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art or attending a Broadway show.

If you're looking for someplace warmer, we loved New Orleans!

cherrymae Oct 1st, 2003 05:23 PM

I think that winters in NY are mild especially in most recent years. I think it will be romantic for an anniversary. You can see the tree in Rockafeller Center, and see a show at Radio City Music Hall, the shows are really worth seeing. There is also a great night life in NYC. It does have a tendency to be windy in the city, so bundle up, but go for it, it is beautiful!

timbalero Oct 2nd, 2003 01:48 PM

January can be pretty brutal in NYC, but it's really the luck of the draw. It could be 40 degrees, it could be 0. If I had the choice, I'd go some other time. But if January's the only time you have to travel, then bring a good coat, dress in layers and come on down. Even if it's super cold, the cabs, busses and subways are heated and there's plenty to do inside.

mclaurie Oct 2nd, 2003 04:33 PM

Deb, it depends on what kind of anniversary you want. It is indeed cold in Jan., but theater, museums,concerts, shopping & restaurants are indoor activities :)

The first week in Jan. is a very quiet time in NY as many NYers are still on vacation. (BTW, Xmas decorations are not up all of Jan.) As mentioned, there are lots of sales. I guess the major drawback is it's not the time of year for boat trips, carriage rides in the park (although some hardy souls do it) & strolling may be a bit uncomfortable. If you don't mind winter weather & are interested in doing indoor activities come & enjoy.

There are LOTS of nice hotels. We always ask what price range & what location.

Birdie Oct 3rd, 2003 03:47 PM

We visited NY in the dead of winter and loved it. Even walked through Central Park, briskly of course, and enjoyed the peace and quiet. A couple of hints though: if you plan on going to a Broadway show stay at a hotel nearby and don't think you can get away with not wearing an overcoat. Cabs are very hard to get when all the theaters let out and you are competing with hundreds of theater goers. It could be a very long, cold walk back to your hotel. Also, the top of the Empire State Building will be very windy and cold.

antlori Oct 4th, 2003 08:09 PM

I agree with djkbooks about "coming in out of the cold." My husband & I were in New York one winter and got caught out in a bit of a snow flurry. We ducked into a hotel bar for a drink and waited for it to let up. We had our drink and the bar was serving up free hors d'oeuvres. People were talking and laughing and eating and drinking. It was so warm and cosy we didn't want to leave. It was quite an un-New York experience and we still talk about it and remember it fondly.