Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-hotels-431728/)

tara1130 May 14th, 2004 10:22 AM

New York Hotels

What does anyone know about the Rihga Royal New York, A JW Marriott Hotel. Good Location and is it worth the Money?

Thank you

JAS May 14th, 2004 11:00 AM

Great hotel. Located in midtown west, short walk to Times Square. All rooms are big-suite like. I also love the Muse Hotel- a boutique style hotel with great rooms!

mikemo May 14th, 2004 11:29 AM

Yes, I agree with JAS.
Alas, we used to stay at the Marriott World Trade Center.
Check Tripadvisor.com for last minute bargains.
M

mclaurie May 14th, 2004 12:37 PM

Whether it's &quot;worth the money&quot; depends on what the money <i>is</i> &amp; what that might buy elsewhere. The location is excellent &amp; it <i>is</i> all suites. But I've heard the service &amp; ambiance is not what it had been before being taken over by Marriott. What other options are you considering?

suse May 16th, 2004 04:14 AM

I agree with JAS. The Muse is my favorite little hotel in NYC. 1 block off Times Square. Close to everything midtown. Where ever you stay, have a great trip.
Suse

lisettemac May 16th, 2004 05:34 AM

I've only heard great things about it. Nice location -- near the Park, near the theatre district, but not in a bustling or loud area.

tara1130 May 17th, 2004 05:47 AM

I was thinking about Marriott East Side, The Alqonquin or the Waldorf. I was trying to find a nice hotel that would be a good Value. The Marriott East side I can get a rate of $139 and the Rihga Royal $217. Any other recommendations?

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

gc May 17th, 2004 06:54 AM

I can't comment on the Rihga Royal. I try to stay at the East Side Marriott when in Mid-town...I've never had a bad experience.

tara1130 May 17th, 2004 12:28 PM

I also heard Hotel Ganssevort was nice but it actually the most expensive at $325
60 Thompson $229
Michelangel $220
The Muse $199
Waldorf Astoria $269
Hudson $169
Rhiga Royal $189
Marriott East side $139

What would you do? This is much harder then any other vacation I have planned, so many great choices..

Thanks!

GoTravel May 17th, 2004 03:59 PM

The Rhiga Royal is a fantastic hotel in a fantastic location.

It is one of my favorites in NYC.

Have you checked TripAdviser.com?

mclaurie May 17th, 2004 05:43 PM

If by Marriott east side you mean the Marriott Courtyard Midtown East, this hotel is regularly &quot;won&quot; on Priceline for $65-85/night &amp; is posted there as 2.5 stars. The other hotels you're considering are 4* so you're comparing apples &amp; oranges. You started out asking about the Rihga Royal (and you've posted 2 different prices for it-$217 &amp; $189-which is it?). We know nothing about you-how many you are-what you plan to do, how long you're staying...If it were me, just 2 people, I would try bidding on Priceline (after reading biddingfortravel A LOT). If you're more than 2 or not interetsed in trying PL, I'd go for the Rihga Royal if it's $189. I would definitely eliminate the Hudson (rooms too small &amp; too far west) &amp; the Waldorf (not great location for sightseeing IMO &amp; too $$ for what it is). Everyone here loves the Michelangelo. At $220 thta's another option, especially if you plan to do a lot fo theater. Have fun. Don't stress too much. If you really want a cheapish room I would seriously think about PL.

tara1130 May 18th, 2004 07:18 AM

Thanks for everything. It is actually $217 at the Rhiga and the other Marriott is a Full Service Marriott, called Marriott East side it is 3 stars/diamonds and I found a rate of $139

I am not overly concerned about money I am more trying to get the most for my money.(without spending $300+ a night) There are way to many choices but I am sure we wont be spending much time in the rooms regardles.

mclaurie May 18th, 2004 07:51 AM

Tara where is the Marriott east side you're talking about? If it's 3 stars/diamonds that's still not in the same &quot;league&quot; as the other places you've mentioned. That's fine-just be aware that's why it's much less. If you want great value, Priceline is the answer. Of the places you mention, the Muse, The Michelangelo &amp; the Rihga Royal are all good. Another possibility is Le Parker Meridien (also a Priceline hotel) that has an indoor swimming pool.

Nikki May 18th, 2004 01:16 PM

I really like the Rihga Royal. We stayed there this year. I don't know whether it was better before being taken over by Marriott, but I thought it was terrific, and this was after the takeover.

gc May 18th, 2004 01:33 PM

mclaurie,

525 Lexington Ave.

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=NYCEA

Eva May 18th, 2004 06:12 PM

If you don't mind me asking, is that a published rate for the Marriott East Side? I am looking for a good rate and tht would be perfect. And also what dates are you looking at? Thanks for any info.