Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York hotel prices in December, are they kidding???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a very frequent business traveler and spent 2-3 nites per week in hotels. Every year, I have seen the prices in NYC rise in December and this year is no exception. However, now I think these hotels are going over the top with these prices. Last nite, I spent 359 at the Courtyard in Midtown East for a room that was not worth 200 per nite...how is it that these hotels can get away with this? I had planned another trip for the middle of December but now I see that even the new Residence Inn is 399 per nite and the Courtyard is over 400...so, I cancelled my business trip and will go back after January 1....let some other sucker pay those rates!!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Good grief - those prices are crazy. Sometimes when rates spike like that, I cash in some of my hotel loyalty points. The $100 a night property that charges $400 temporarily doesn't increase the amount of points needed for a night.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM

I think the way they "get away with it" is called supply and demand. This is another reason why I'm glad I own Marriott stock.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:02 PM

You can get around this by booking way in advance. I booked for Thanksgiving in June for a rate of $195/night. Same rooms at same hotel had gone up to over $300/night, then they were booked solid.

Year before last, we received an invitation to a New Year's Eve party at a restaurant in November and could not find a "moderate" hotel room for less than $300+/night.

The following year, I booked the Marriott Marquis early in the year for the ridiculously low rate of $110/night with Priceline (and we were given a corner room, the largest hotel room I've ever seen, with a view of Times Square).

They "get way with it" when folks book and pay the asking rate at the last minute when possibilities are limited all over.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Yep, supply and demand. We visited over marathon weekend and were astounded by the prices we faced. We knew NYC would be expensive, but oy vay!

Same reason people are asking $800,000 for a 500 sq ft apt there. It's crazy! But I gotta admit, I was so seduced by the city, I can now understand why!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM

I realize that NYC hotels can be obscenely exorbitant and it's a good thing for your firm that you can postpone your travel and schedule it with lower hotel rates.

I travel (or used to travel) frequently on business, too, and regardless of hotel rates, my company have to just suck it up as our travels involve business that has to be consumated.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:51 AM

I think travel, entertainment, restaurant prices have gone up sharply in general over the past 12-18 months. Has anyone else noticed this? And I just don't see the "deals" I was seeing up to a year or so ago. Anything high-end or luxury seems to have particularly escalated.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for letting me "let off steam".
I would book these in advance if I could, but the nature of my business is too inpredictable....
Perhaps I should pick up some Marriott stock!!
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Yep, NYC is approaching London in terms of exorbitant hotel costs. For a recent short notice trip I managed to find a reasonable alternative on Craig's list under vacation rentals.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Another option - short-term apartment rentals (e.g. nyhabitat.com and a few others).
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM

The law of supply and demand is being affected by the trend for hotels to be converted to condos (ie fewer hotel rooms) and the advantageous exchange rate for foreigners (weak dollar). Europeans (especially from the UK) are popping over just to do some shopping as it's almost "50p on the dollar" for them.

There are some decent discounts featured on travelzoo for certain Dec/Jan dates.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:29 AM

They'll get their price, so I've found that adjusting my travel date is the only way to get around it.

I have frequently found prices from one week to the next to have a discount of as much as 50%.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM

New York is one of the most popular dsintations - tourist and business in the world. The dollar is very low vs the pound/euro - so we're packed with european tourists searching for bargains. And recently several large hotels turned into condos/co-ops because it;s much more profitable to the owners. (And if you think hotel rates are high try paying rent - or buying an average 2 bedroom apartment for $1 million plus.)

So - prices are high - esp seasonably - and will continue to go higher as New York has finally recovered from the artifically low prices of the last couple of years associated with 911 concerns.

If you're doing business travel your corporate travel office should organize a preferred provider relationship with one or more hotels or chains - so you get better rates all year round.

Otherwise - you're subject to supply and demand just like everyone else. (I'd love tht cute little Lexus for $15,000 too - but no one is going to sell it to me for that - since they're able to sell all they have at $60,000 plus).
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Emily,

If you're doing your own reservations and stuff, even for business, I can't see why you don't incorporate Priceline.com into your routine.

You have the ADVANTAGE of not even knowing where you're hoping/expected to be next week, so you're not the sort who could plan an August 1 trip and be in "panic" mode if you're not booked in a hotel by June 15.

Because Priceline thrives on the differences between supply and demand, the hotels who have rooms available would tend to pounce on the chance to have you as their guest at significant discounts.

Recently I balked at some NY area hotel rates and just stayed in the Newark, NJ airport area with a TWO-night bill of $146. You could add rental car AND all of the toll charges and still be way ahead.

By the way, I'm NOT endorsing something that far out, for you, but you can sure use supply and demand AND PRICELINE to your advantage.

Why don't you...?

Start at www.biddingfortravel.com and read up...

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM

The only problem with the Priceline idea is that it too operates on supply and demend, When the demand is very high (and prices similar) then Priceline tends to have little to no supply.

It's always worth a shot at the last minute - but basically - if everybody wants something you've just got to pay more.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM

We did the same thing as NorthwestMale about six weeks ago, and for the first time. Just got way too irritated with the high rates at mediocre hotels, plus parking charges, so we stayed in the Hilton in Ft. Lee for $169, including parking. It was virtually right at the entrance ramp to the GW Bridge. We had to be at a dinner in the West 60s and it took us about 20 minutes to get there. When we left for Phila in the morning, the NJ Tpk was right there too. No hassle at all, & we didn't break the bank.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 03:07 AM

ckwalk, how was that Hilton? How did you get into the city? Did you drive your own car or take public transport?
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I hate to sound like a shill for Priceline but, my sister got the Wadorf Astoria (beautiful room, king bed) a few months ago on a Saturday night for $100. I'd give it a shot.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 01:10 PM

I had never thought of Priceline as an option for business travel because of the no refund policy. I think that for high rate areas like NYC, the deals with Priceline might be good enough to risk having to eat the cost of a hotel once in awhile - come out ahead in the long run. I think the real trick would be getting accounting to approve an expense report for a hotel room that no one used - LOL.