Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York Hilton And Towers-good deal?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-hilton-and-towers-good-deal-193095/)

Rebecca Oct 1st, 2001 12:22 AM

New York Hilton And Towers-good deal??

I just placed a bid on Priceline for $90 for a three+ star hotel in NYC. Not thinking of course that I would get anything. I got the New York Hilton and Towers at 1335 Avenue of the Americas. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? It looks like it is. Any input on this hotel or area is really appreciated. Thanks!

rqf Oct 1st, 2001 03:18 AM

A very good deal. The hotel is in the low 50's. It is a short walk to the theater district and Times Square. Radio City Music Hall is less than five minutes away. 5th Avenue one block east. Central Park is less than a 10 minute walk. Museum of Modern Art is one half block away.

kay Oct 1st, 2001 04:27 AM

The regulars over at biddingfortravel.com would love it if you shared your experience there (if you haven't already). You may want to read of others' PL experiences with Hilton there as well.

Howard Oct 1st, 2001 05:51 AM

In a word (really, two words), that's great price for that facility!

Rebecca Oct 1st, 2001 08:55 AM

Good! Thanks for the replies!

Cheryl Z. Oct 1st, 2001 09:01 AM

<BR>Rebecca - we just stayed there just this past Labor Day weekend, along with a lot of family when we went to a wedding at St. Patricks Cathedral for a cousin. Yes, that's a terrific rate, and it's nice hotel, and excellent location for walking all over <BR>A nearby good Italian restaurant we enjoyed was Castellano on W. 55th St. Another was Pietro's on E. 43rd (took a limo there tho.) Did lots of walking, also did a boat cruise (I have a picture of my husband with the Trade Towers in the background - eerie),and did two Grayline tours - the uptown loop and the downtown loop, very scenic and informative.

new york fan Oct 1st, 2001 10:08 AM

Hmmm, I booked a room there months ago but am planning on using Hilton Honor points for three nights. They consider any Hilton or Doubletree hotel in New York to be a premium hotel - so 3 nights is 100,000 Hilton Honor points. When I checked on-line, the best rate was 309.00 a night at the New York Hilton for that particular time in October. Now I'm wondering if I should try to get a room there for $90.00 and save my 100,000 point certificate for another time during the next twelve months. That 100,000 points is for just a "standard room" too!

Rebecca Oct 1st, 2001 04:42 PM

To New Yorker Fan-I would try to get the good deal from Priceline instead of using your points. I read on biddingfortravel.com that some even got the room there for $75!! You can use your points another time! Cheryl-thanks for the tips-I'll be trying that Italian place!

John Oct 1st, 2001 05:40 PM

When you use Priceline you can NOT specify (or even request) a certain hotel! If you want Hilton, pay the rate or use your HHonors points. Otherwise, you may end up with any other similarly-rated hotel.

lisa Oct 1st, 2001 05:43 PM

It's a GREAT price and the hotel was recently renovated from top to bottom, so you should enjoy it. <BR> <BR>It is an easy walk to Central Park or to the theatre district and Times Square. For cheap eats nearby, try Ninth Ave -- lots of great ethnic restaurants. <BR> <BR>For fancier eats, nearby restaurants include China Grill (almost directly across the street), Cite' (try the prix fixe wine dinner -- $65 or so for seatings after 8 pm, including all the wine you can drink), Beacon, Joe Allen's (a big Broadway hangout).

tops Oct 2nd, 2001 09:37 PM

tops

again Oct 3rd, 2001 03:03 PM

one more time.....

hcw Mar 10th, 2002 03:50 PM

Just used Priceline for the first time, after reading about it here . . .have always stayed in smaller hotels on upper West Side when we've been to NYC before. On priceline, got Hilton Towers for $100/night for 3 nts, second weekend in May. Not my favorite sort of hotel (too big!!!) but, from what I've read here, it's a great location and really good price. And, as I keep reminding myself, all we need is a place to sleep. It's my daughter's first trip to NYC, so she'll probably love the location. Any other tips on places to eat in the neighborhood?

native Mar 12th, 2002 12:14 PM

HCW:<BR><BR>There are a huge number of places to eat in that neighborhood, the limit will be your wallet: <BR><BR>A small sample:<BR><BR>Alain Ducasse(VVVVVE)<BR>Jean George<BR>Beacon<BR>da Tomasso<BR>Gabriel's,<BR>Soup Kitchen International (of Seinfeld fame)<BR>Delta Grill <BR>Town<BR>Carnegie Deli<BR>Churrrascaria Plataforma<BR>One cps<BR>Atlas<BR>Mickey Mantle's<BR>Hale & Hearty Soups<BR>Mangia<BR>Mariella Pizza<BR><BR>Generally, 8th Ave/9th Ave in the 50's and 56 & 55 St between 5th & 6th Ave have a lot of relatively inexpensive but good places. <BR><BR>

anniel Apr 13th, 2002 01:07 PM

Hi there everyone.. I just bid in UK for a 4* hotel in New York. We will be there from September 20th for a week. We got 2 rooms for $97 per roomper night at the Hilton Hotel and Towers.. It was my first bid and it was accepted within 15 minutes.<BR><BR>This was the first time we have ever used Priceline and we are delighted with our bargain. Good location and from what I have read it is a great hotel.<BR><BR>Do try priceline, it was easy to use...I had spent ages studying at Bidding for Travel..It paid off!

Dave Apr 13th, 2002 03:20 PM

Read reviews on biddingfortravel.com. I think I remember seeing lots of complaints about the NY Hilton's treatment of Priceline customers.

traveller Apr 13th, 2002 04:25 PM

I stayed there in November. I don't think we were treated poorly for being Priceline customers, but we definitely got the Priceline room - small, dark, next to the elevator. I heard others on the elevator complaining about the Priceline room, too, but what the heck, the location is really nice. <BR>

Postal Apr 13th, 2002 05:17 PM

I don't know if it would work at any other hotel, but the three hotels I've stayed in using Priceline - two in NYC and one in Orlando - gave me very nice rooms simply because I asked for them very politely at check-in. I said I knew I had paid much less than other customers and I was more than willing to pay a surcharge, but would really appreciate a nice room. (This was after small talk like hi, how are you, it's so great to be back in my favorite city, etc.) In all three cases, the clerk said he'd be glad to give me a very nice room, and no surcharge was necessary.<BR><BR>Maybe I've been lucky and maybe all you have to do is ask nicely. I know it didn't work at the Waldorf when I was paying full price!

Patrick Apr 13th, 2002 05:25 PM

Just couldn't miss passing this along. The first time I went to New York, I booked at the New York Hilton, one of the newest and supposedly best places to stay. The price was $50 per night, and there were no discounts! I nearly had a heart attack that a hotel could charge that much. The year was 1968.

anniel Apr 13th, 2002 11:46 PM

What a great story Patrick...I too am old enough to remember when we had such prices.<BR><BR>Postal, I was thinking of taking your line on this...smile nicely,<BR>speak in my English accent...but I have heard that some new Yorkers are impervious to charm! Do they react better if you are a senior?? (smile)<BR><BR>Priceline warn that they cannot guarantee two beds in a room or non smoking rooms. I was wondering if I rang or emailed the hotel if I could put in such requests??<BR><BR>I was excited about the Hilton because I readon on one Hotel discount site that their standard rooms were 336 sq. ft..which is enormous, but having read all the reviews on Bidding for travel I am expecting the darkest, smallest room close to the lift!<BR><BR>Would welcome any comments...please do not think I am moaning here. I realise the price we got is very low and I am truly grateful.. but we should always try to maximise outcomes!<BR><BR>Cheers from London<BR><BR>Anniel