New York (from JFK to Tarrytown)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An acquaintance of mine will travel during the summer, from Hungary to the U.S., will land at JFK and from there will have to get to Tarrytown. This is the plan I provided with her, as the shortest, easiest, cheapest way to get to Tarrytown from JFK. What I would like, is somebody who is familiar with the area, checking it, if it's viable or not.

1. Get on the NYC Airporter headed for Penn Station.
2. Get off at Grand Central (approx. 70 minutes ride). The bus will stop at the intersection of 41th Street and Park avenue.
3. Walk to Grand Central Terminal.
Map: http://i39.tinypic.com/aotmvd.jpg
4. Get on the Hudson line, headed for Croton Harmon.
5. Get off at Tarrytown (the 13th stop).

I compiled this with the help of a website, and it suggested that the sum of fare prices will be around 25 bucks. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Your directions are misleading. Do NOT mention Penn Station in your directions to your acquaintance or an unfortunate mistake could be made. There are a few different bus services at the airport and not all go to both train stations. It is simpler to tell him or her to get an airporter bus to Grand Central Station--the buses are named that way.

The train line is key: a Metro-North Hudson Line train. Your acquaintance might take a train bound for Croton Harmon or Poughkeepsie (further along the line). Trains that end in Croton-Harmon are "Local" and make every stop along the way during most of the day. Trains to Poughkeepsie are "Express" and skip many stops since they travel further north.

Your acquaintance should take the next train to Tarrytown, and not wait around for one to Croton-Harmon. I would NOT necessarily mention how many stops it is to Tarrytown. For a Pougkeepsie-bound train, Tarrytown might be the 4th or 6th stop. During rush hours, even the Croton-Harmon-bound trains will make a varying number of stops before reaching Tarrytown--in some cases, Tarrytown is the 2nd stop.

Your estimate of $25 is a fair one. The airporter buses cost about $13. The ticket to Tarrytown will vary in price depending on the time of day--higher rates apply during peak hours. Peak: $13.00; Off Peak $9.75. Mention buying a ticket BEFORE boarding the train to Tarrytown--you can buy on the train, but it will cost more--$6 penalty buying onboard.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Too complicated but not quite enough money.

There is an NYC Airporter bus (coach, not van) from JFK right to Grand Central for $16.

MetroNorth train to Tarrytown is $13 one way (buy ticket in the station, costs more on the train). Fare may be lower off peak -not sure when person is coming.

Tell your acquaintance to check out Grand Central on the way through - it's been restored and is absolutely gorgeous - esp the ceiling.

There is also cheaper AirTrain and subway service to Grand Central but it is multiple changes, takes much longer and is not something you want to do with luggage due to multiple flights of stairs and long connecting passageways.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Sorry - you can;t just get on any Hudson line train. they need to check out the big board or ask at information - since there are all sorts of locals and express trains that stop at different places. Not all trains stop at Tarrytown.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Certainly the traveler can't get on ANY Hudson Line train, but they should not limit him- or herself to Croton-Harmon-bound trains only. A quick check of the schedule shows that the vast majority of Hudson Line trains DO stop at Tarrytown, but a few at rush hour do skip it.

For those who are confused by the overhead departures board and TV monitors which don't list every stop, the clerk at the information window in the center desk of the main hall will tell the next train. Also, at the doorway to particular track for the train, the destination and a full list of stops for the departing train will be posted.