New York: Dinner and Play

Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York: Dinner and Play

Adult daughter and I will be in NYC next weekend and would like to see a play (had enough musicals for a while) and have a nice ($60 pp -- maybe Italian?) dinner before the play. Any suggestions on a play or dinner?
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM

There's a wonderful play going on until the 13th called Fetch Clay, Make Man happening at the New York Theater Workshop in the East Village. That area also has one of my favorite restaurants in the city: Momofuku Noodle Bar. Here's a TimeOut NY link for more on the play: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theat...-clay-make-man
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 07:20 AM

I doubt you could get tickets at this late date, but a most fabulous production of The Glass Menagerie is playing in NYC right now starring Cherry Jones and Zachary Quinto. It's got to be one of the best reviewed plays of the past few years.

Recently started in previews is The Snow Geese with Mary Louise Parker.

Roundabout's The Winslow Boy is also playing now.

And of course there's Romeo and Juliet with Orlando Bloom. I've seen that one, but I can't really recommend it.

And Buyer and Cellar has extended its run into January. It's a favorite playing a small theater downtown. It's available for a discount.

If you see a show on Broadway or in the Times Square area, then I can recommend either ViceVersa or Etceteraetcera. Same owners, similar menus, good modern Italian food, with a nod to ViceVersa. They have $38 prix-fixe menus. You can do that for $60 with coffee and a glass of wine.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:00 AM

The Glass Menagerie is getting raves. I'd guess it will be difficult to get tix for next weekend unless you grab some premium tix for lots of money. Trip to Bountiful with Cicely Tyson is the other standout but I think is closing this week. Check. The Snow Geese with Mary Louise Oarker would be my next choice but I havent seen it. There should be discounts on the left column of Broadwaybox.com. There's a lot of Shakespeare playing right now too. Didhelikeit.com is a good website to see consolidated reviews.

If you want something lighter and fluffy, Buyer & Cellar off Broadway playing in the village at the Barrow St theater is a lot of fun.

As for Italian, I think most of the options in the theater district are just ok. Maria Pia, Trattoria Trecolori, La Masseria. Etcetera Etcetera is probably the best. Menupages.com looking in the west 40's-50's.

If you should go to the village to Buyer & Cellar, you,ve got loads of options, Keste for good pizza, Da Andrea for pasta, Po is very good.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM

GMTA. I didn't see your post Doug.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

So it is Fetch Clay, Make Man and Momofuku and next day Buyer and Cellar with dinner at ViceVersa!! Yea! Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Annehy, I like ViceVersa just fine and it's a good choice for dinner before or after a Broadway show, but unless there is a reason you're headed back up to that area, I'd consider a dinner before or after Buyer and Cellar somewhere in the village -- nearer the theatre.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM

I agree. Too many better options in the village.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...suggestions for better option in the village?
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM

See if you can get an early reservation for The a Little Owl.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM

google "Italian restaurants near theater dist. NYC and about 60 come up. Good luck in getting a reservation at the last minute...Plays Not sure if "Trip to Bountiful" is still playing as it does close in October but it was delightful. Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams. Saw it last week.....
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM

I mentioned 3 Italians above..Keste, Po and Da Andrea.