New York City with teen boys

Jan 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

New York City with teen boys

Husband, myself and two sons, ages 12 and 16 will be in New York mid-April for 3 days and want to make the best use of our time! I'm trying to fit in the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Met, Central Park, and the ESPN Zone. One thing for sure is to see a Broadway or Off-Broadway production. I was thinking about Altar Boyz, and possibly another show as well. Any suggestions?
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM

Seems to me that Spelling Bee or Hairspray might be a good take-in for them. How about Blue Man group? Lion King? Top the Rock (Rockefeller Center) is great.
Jan 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM

My teenagers loved Guttenberg the Musical, playing in the Village. It's also fun for the teens to walk around the area. I don't know if it will still be running in April, though. I also suggest Spelling Bee - they loved that too, and Avenue Q although it can be a little over the top for young ones.
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM

My boys, who were 11 and 14 at the time, loved Stomp. In fact, we all enjoyed this show which is down in the East Village.

Have fun!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:32 AM

Another vote for Blue Man Group and/or Stomp. Perfect for the teenage boy demographic.

Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM

I think what people may be trying to say is Altar Boyz may be more popular with teen girls (b/c of the cute guys in the show). They'd love Avenue Q (very irreverent) I think and there are usually discounts available. Spelling Bee is another good idea. You may be able to get discounts on broadwaybox.com as long as you're not looking for a Sat. night show. Stomp and Blue Man Group have also been popular with boys.

A trip to SOL/Ellis Island generally takes at least 4-6 hrs. with lines, security etc. but well worth the visit. Just want you to know. If you want to go inside the Statue, you have to reserve online in advance. First boat out in the morning is generally the fastest way to go.

You should be able to accomplish the other things on your list in 3 days. Consider taking a highlights tour of the Met.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info! I've bought tickets online for Altar Boyz. As for a second show, if I narrow it down to Stomp, Lion King and Spelling Bee, should I try to get the 1/2 price tickets at the TKTS booth day of show? What are my chances of success? It is Spring break for a lot of schools, like mine! Also, how much time in line do you waste of your day?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

All those shows except Lion King should be available on discount with advance purchase at broadwaybox.com, again, if it's not for a Sat. night show. That won't be quite as cheap as getting them at the TKTS booth but will avoid wasting time on lines. Lion King will will not be available at the TKTS booth or on discount online.

Since you're seeing Altar Boyz which is off Broadway, I'd suggest your other show be a bit splashier. Lion King is the only one on your list that would fit the bill. You'd have to buy full price tix (if they're available).

If you decide to go for TKTS booth whether for these or other shows, consider splitting up 2 and 2 for better seat options and you might want to go to the TKTS booth across from the South Street Seaport downtown which is less crowded. For info on TKTS booths, go to tdf.org/tkts
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM

Mclaurie is right that Spelling Bee is not flashy. For instance, there isn't a full orchestra so if you are really looking for that big Broadway musical, you will have to look elsewhere. It is a fun show though, and my 19 year-old and I laughed a lot!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM

Do the Yankees count? That has always been my teen boys favorite show in NYC!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Funny you say that about the Yankees! That is my 16 year old's idea of the show he wants to see! Maybe I should look into b'ball tickets!

I think the idea of seeing a "splashier" Broadway show sounds great (already have the tickets for Altar Boyz). Do y'all recommend the Lion King as "the" one to see?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

I want to have some authentic NYC food experiences, but don't want to spend a ton of money. Any faves for teenage boys in that department? The 16 year old especially does not care for fancy food! I figured we'll go to the ESPN Zone for dinner one night. Any recommendations around the theatre district for before our play?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Joe Allen is in the theatre district. Sort of pricey, but it's not fancy and it's not fancy food, and you might even see some celebs.

If you have a chance, stop by the NBA store. It's two levels, and if they like basketball at all they'll love this store.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Hi,

You might want to try the Carnegie Deli - very NY and huge deli sandwiches that my teen boys love.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Carnegie Deli sounds perfect! Is it near the Theaters?

I was trying to figure out how to purchase tickets to the Lion King online. Is there no way to see the seats they are choosing for you (like I could with Altar Boyz)? I put in the $111.00 seats, and it shows there is availability in the orchestra and mezz., but I also see those seats selling in the $300 range for premium. What is your experience with going this route? Sounds like the Lion King might be the show for the real Broadway experience!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM

maclaurie, how do you know that the teens aren't gay? Maybe the 16-year-old would enjoy looking at cute boys.

I love how people assume that everyone in the world is heterosexual.

Former Gay Teen
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM

Oh no Marginal_Margiela - let's not get nasty!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't pick Lion King for your boys. While it's a fabulous spectacle, I think they might not appreciate it as much as some other options. Hairspray is popular with teens. Legally Blonde will be in previews when you're here. What about Spamalot? Are they Monty Python fans?

Whatever show you decide on, if you can't see the exact seats online, PHONE ticketmaster or telecharge, whichever you need. You should also find or print out the seating chart for the appropriate theater so when they tell you the seat, you can see where it is.

If you don't find decent seats thru normal channels, have a look on broadwaybox.com at sold out shows and also applause-tickets.com Both sell above face value but not as expensive as other options.

For dining, John's pizzeria (both in Times Square and in the village) is famous. Carmine's (family style Italian) if they're big eaters. Virgil's BBQ.

menupages.com has good info
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Btw, I don't know MM. But you've taken a nasty pill today. Have a martini and relax.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:56 PM

Nasty? I am not being nasty.

maclaurie, I have the highest respect for you and all your knowledge and advice on the Big Apple.

Love you. Mean it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO