Reload this Page >

New York City with a teenager!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:00 AM
Lynn

I will be taking my 13 year old daughter to NYC for a one day shopping excursion. We would like to do some sight seeing as well. What's recommended? I don't want to go broke on cab fares so we'd like to walk as much as possible. We will be dropped off at the Marriott. What's a good lunch spot for a 13 year old?

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:19 AM
sara

what kind of shopping do u want to do? I always opt for Time Square..and not too far from it was China Town and Little italy.
There are nice restaurants in Manhattan.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:21 AM
marilyn

I took my daughter with me to New York for a conference when she was in 8th grade. She was excited at going to the city chronicled in the Babysitters Club books, especially Bloomie's. However, she was tremendously disappointed in Bloomie's, a store far too sophisticated for her Midwestern young teen tastes. I can't say that at that age there was anywhere she particularly liked to shop in New York, because it was too unfamiliar to her. She did enjoy touring Rockefeller Center, walking in Central Park and also there was ice-skating in Central Park in early spring. She liked "name brand" restaurants, like Tavern on the Green, Four Seasons, and Hard Rock Cafe.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 02:06 PM
Beverly

Your daughter might enjoy a tea party - for real! Take her to the New York Palace Hotel for afternoon English tea, complete with scones, creme fraiche, and finger sandwiches. This is where the ladies lunch after shopping. The hotel is on 50th St. and 5th Ave. which is also a great place for sightseeing. It may be a bit on the expensive side but the memory is worth it. Have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 03:59 AM
vanetta

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 04:00 AM
vanetta

There is a restaurant called Jekyll and Hyde that is supposed to be great fun for kids. I never went,but my teenaged daughter did. She said that it is not too far from Central Park.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 06:18 AM
Cindy

Hi,

Just walking up/down 5th Ave. is a big deal -- she's not too old to enjoy FAO Schwarz. If you do Tavern on the Green for lunch or dinner, get a reservation. I have a very fond memory of having lunch at the Metropolitan Museum next to their small indoor pool with my grandmother -- I felt so grown-up. But you'll need to go early or late to avoid standing in line.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Anne

How about the MTV studio in Time Square and the Virgin Megastore across the street? Those were "must dos" for my 17 yr old daughter this spring. I also agree with Jekyll and Hyde -- it's a favorite of my nephews who live in the city.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Alan

Why bother shopping when you can shop anywhere. Check out the sites and atmosphere of Manhattan. Empire State Building? The Path Train is only 1$ and it runs from the WTC,Christopher St., 9th,14th,23th,33rd on 6th avenue. Check PATH info on there web site.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Alan

Why bother shopping when you can shop anywhere. Check out the sites and atmosphere of Manhattan. Empire State Building? The Path Train is only 1$ and it runs from the WTC,Christopher St., 9th,14th,23th,33rd on 6th avenue. Check PATH info on there web site. Have fun!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 09:35 PM
Vicki

I recently took my two teenage daughters to NYC and had a blast. They really enjoyed shopping at Macy's and all the little shops along the way. They also enjoyed Motown Cafe where every 30 minutes or so a group performs as a replica of the motown groups, i.e., the Supremes, Temptations, etc. It was a hoot. There is so much to do there, good luck squeezing it in in one day

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Debbie

My niece and I just visited NYC and we thoroughly enjoyed the open market down on Canal Street in Chinatown. Tons of shopping at good prices!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Judy

I alway enjoyed the "window shopping" on the walk up Madison Avenue from about 57th St. to the 80's - with boutiqes, art galleries, fancy linen stores, etc. You could combine the walk with a visit to a museum (Metropolitan Museum of Art at 5th & 82nd, International Center for Photography 5th & 94th, for example) and then perhaps walk back on 5th Avenue adjacent to Central Park or walk through the park itself. (As I recall, buses run up Madison and down Fifth, should you get tired of walking.)

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Rachael

I am a 13 girl, in NJ, and I must say, I've been to NYC too many times. But it is nice to do if you've never been there. As for shopping, three really isn't much mainstream stuff, except for the Gap that you'll find on every other street corner. For the best shoppoing, you should just walk around and find the original boutiques or vintage shops. As for restaurants, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, Motown Cafe, All-Star Cafe, Mars 2021 are all great for kids my age. Lots of fun. Good luck.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:38 PM
Rachael

I am a 13 girl, in NJ, and I must say, I've been to NYC too many times. But it is nice to do if you've never been there. As for shopping, three really isn't much mainstream stuff, except for the Gap that you'll find on every other street corner. For the best shoppoing, you should just walk around and find the original boutiques or vintage shops. As for restaurants, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, Motown Cafe, All-Star Cafe, Mars 2021 are all great for kids my age. Lots of fun. Good luck. Oh yeah, as for cabs, don't walk either, take the subway, much cheaper, or take the bus, a great and fast alternative to get to where you're going.