Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City- which neighborhood? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-which-neighborhood-722586/)

nvl325 Jul 20th, 2007 03:10 PM

New York City- which neighborhood?

In the past, we've stayed in midtown (The Casablanca, Marriott Marquis, Doubletree) when we've come to the city. This time we're thinking of doing a home exchange for our condo in Maui- some of the apartments/condos we're looking at are in SoHo, Chelsea, near Madison Square Park, in Greenwich Village, and Yorkville.

Which neighborhood would you New Yorkers think we might enjoy staying in for a week? We enjoy museums, Broadway shows, dining, window shopping- staying in midtown has always been very convenient, but this sounds like a nice change!

nytraveler Jul 20th, 2007 04:02 PM

New York "neighborhoods" can vary a lot in real estate parlance. What one person calls Chelsea can the the back of the post office building to another. Some neighborhoods that are great have a couple of streets/intersections that are horrendous.

If you give us addresses or cross streets people can giveyou much better recos.

One thing to note about much of Yorkville (a quite upscale family area) - depending on how they define it - is that you can be very far from the subway, with generally inconvenient transportation.

mclaurie Jul 20th, 2007 04:45 PM

Agree with absolutely everything nytraveler wrote. I'll add for me, the apartment itself and the type of building matters as much as the location (and sometimes more). We know nothing about you really (ie age, budget, how many you are etc.) including how long this is for. For a week or two, I think the apt. is more important than the location. Since you've been to NYC before, you must know most museums are uptown, Broadway is midtown and shopping and dining is everywhere. I don't think any of the places you mention are a bad option. I would pay attention to things like the age of the building, the square footage, what floor it's on (and whether there's an elevator).

nvl325 Jul 20th, 2007 05:30 PM

excellent points, nytraveler and mclaurie. From the general information so far, the places all look pretty nice. Here's a general idea of the locations:
- UWS (around 68th and Amst.)
- 84th betw 1/2
- near Carnegie Hall
- Chelsea, 1 block from Mad Sq Park
- east 30s, off Park Ave
- Greenwich- at the junction of GV/Chelsea/Flatiron/Union Sq
- a couple in SoHo- no exact location yet.

By the way, there's 3 of us- husband and 21 yr old daughter too, visiting for 7 to 10 days.

happytrailstoyou Jul 21st, 2007 06:09 AM

All else being equal, I’d be happy with most of these except the unknown location in SoHo.

Also, it’s not clear to me what this means: “Greenwich- at the junction of GV/Chelsea/Flatiron/Union Sq” If the place is between the Flatiron Building and Union Square, that would be good.

nytraveler Jul 21st, 2007 10:28 AM

84th bet 1/2 isn;t that bad - the nearest subway is 86 and Lex (so about 6/7 blocks). A nice middle class area with lots of families and quite a few restaurants and cafes..

68th and Amsterdam could be very busy/noisy if it overlooks Amsterdam - which is a main truck route.