Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City Weekend Trip Report February 2009

Mar 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

On our last trip to NYC we attended the GL Fan Club Gathering and won a tour of the Guiding Light (GL)Studios. We called the contact person and arranged the tour for a Friday to coincide with a weekend NYC trip. GL is a shared interest that my Mom and I have. Over the years we have enjoyed ourselves going on mother/daughter NYC weekends. We used Priceline and ended up staying at the Sheraton Manhattan on 51st St and 7th Ave for $114 a night - not bad.. The location worked out great for us..The hotel was fine. The room was clean and met our needs and the elevators came quickly with no excessive delays.

We arrived in NYC on a Thursday. We had to wait for a room and ate at a nearby Rosie O’Grady’s for lunch. On Thursday night we saw Jersey Boys. We love seeing musicals and always make sure that we see at least one during our NYC visits. We had tried to get tickets for Jersey Boys in the fall but they were sold out on the days we wanted except for some premium seating that they tried to sell for a few hundred dollars a ticket. Um, no thank you. This time we had no problems getting available tickets at a normal price. We loved the show. I remember their music from my childhood and enjoyed the plot of the show. The understudy for the Frankie Valli role was in the play when we saw it and he was amazing. I don’t know what the usual actor is like but we enjoyed the understudy very much.

It was very cold during this trip and we didn’t want to have to walk around that much so we ended up eating in places that were close to our destinations for the night. On Thursday night we ate at Trattoria Rino which is close to the August Wilson Theater. My mom tends to be a picky eater so I tried to pick places where she could find something that she likes. We both had gnocchi here. Hers had a red sauce and mine was made with a pesto sauce. It was an affordable restaurant and worked out great for us.

Friday was the day of the GL Studio Tour. We arrived and had to get pictures taken for day passes. The lobby security guards called up to the studios and got the okay for us to go up. One of the Production Coordinators gave us the tour. She was a young woman just out of college and was very nice to us. We talked to her about how much we like the show and about some of our favorite storylines over the years. She gave us each a copy of one of their scripts from last year. She showed the sets and allowed us to take pictures. We posed and were corny and had fun. We weren’t allowed to actually see them film but when the actors were on a break we got to see a few of them. Some of them signed the scripts that we were given. It was really interesting to be able to professional sets. Some of them looked much smaller and others looked larger than they do on television.

We were only in the studio for a few hours so had some time to kill in the afternoon. The weather was still cold so we decided to stay indoors and see a movie. In the past I had made fun of people went to New York and saw a movie. If it was warmer we probably would have walked around some of neighborhoods or did some shopping. We ended up seeing He's Just Not That Into You. It was cute and worked out being just the right length of time to fill the afternoon.

We ate Azalea on W 51st St on Friday night. I had lobster ravioli and my Mom had spaghetti. The tables were very close to one another in this restaurant but I guess in NYC that is very common.

As I’ve posted in the past I enjoy going to sing along Piano Bars. NYC has a fun one in the Times Square area called Sweet Caroline's. We had gone on our last trip and had fun so we went back this time too. We stayed pretty late because we didn't have to get up for anything the next morning.

On Saturday we went to lunch with my cousin who lives in NYC. We told her to pick the restaurant and we went to Barbounia, a Mediterranean Restaurant on Park Avenue. Their hummus was delicious. It's not something that I'm able to get at home.

We had reservations to see Pal Joey on Saturday night. Were running a little late in the evening and still had to pick up our tickets at the will call window. After we got our tickets we ventured over to a restaurant,, Iguana. I've eaten at a few restaurants in the Caribbean with Iguana in the name and none of them actually served iguana. This one didn't either. Oh well, maybe next time. I had a shish kabob dish and my Mom had fried shrimp. I tried a glass of sangria which was pretty good. We went back after the show to have dessert and do some people watching. It looked like they have a club in the basement which we didn’t go into. We stayed on the first floor in the dining room.

We walked a few doors down to the theater which was at the former Studio 54. I couldn't help but think of the Studio 54's colorful past and I wondered what it was like back in the day. We were looking for a second musical to see and kind of stumbled into this seeing Pal Joey which had Stockard Channing in it. We ordered orchestra tickets from Broadwaybox.com at a reduced price.. Thanks to those you of on Fodors who talked about this ticket site. I wasn't very familiar with the show's story beforehand but I liked it. The way the male lead was dancing and acting reminded me of the role of Bill that Robert Lindsey played in Me and My Girl. I'd love to see a revival of that musical with this actor. We stayed afterwards at the screen door and got some autographs on our Playbill. Stockard Channing is very petite and gracious in real life.

On Sunday morning we checked out of the hotel and went to Mass at St Patrick's Cathedral at noon. We had a late breakfast at Ellen's Stardust Diner which has a singing wait staff..My Mom enjoys people watching and was looking around the diner at the various decorations and said that she saw someone famous in the restaurant..One of the GL actors who recently left the show was eating in the restaurant with friends. We thought that was a pretty funny coincidence.

This was yet another fabulous mother/daughter trip. We’'e watched GL for decades and it was a real treat for us to see the sets that they film on. We hope that the show will be on the air for many years to come so we can continue to spend quality time together in NYC.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I envy you, being able to take these mother/daughter trips. My mom died 14 years ago and I miss her every day. When I was younger, she, my aunt (her sister) and I used to take alot of trips together and we always had a blast. Here's hoping you an dyour Mom have many more of these vacations together.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks travel -
I'm heading to NYC in a couple of days and it was fun to read about your weekend. I was at Studio 54 just once back in the day. It was wild and crazy!
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM

travel - you are one lucky lady to have these mother/daughter trips - and it sounds like you know it!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM

Why did you eat at Rosie O'Grady's?????? OH, what a horror story. Dreadful beyond dreadful! Even the smell of the place reminds me of the slums of Kathmandu.

Thin
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I do feel that I'm lucky to spend these times with my Mom. She's a great person and we enjoy each other's company.

rosetravels - I think it's cool that you were able to go to Studio 54. It sounds like just being there was an event. Any comments or recollections that you'd like to share? Have fun in NYC and post a trip report especially of any interesting restaurants.

cries_van_notebook - Rosie O'Grady's has very general "safe" and easy food. We needed to get a quick bite and didn't want to wander too far since we still had to check into the hotel. As I said before, my Mom is a picky eater and I knew that she'd be able to find something she'd like there.

I forgot to mention in my report that the SHeraton was close to the Michelangelo, a hotel at which I have always wanted to stay. I couldn't resist poking my head in to see their lobby. I always check their rates before we go but I can't justify spending that much. I wish they would participate with Priceline - LOL!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Well, sweetie darling, I am surprised that if mom is a picky eater that she would eat at ROG.

You should have gone to Le Bernadin. She prolly would have like it there, especially if Eric Ripert came over and smiled at her.

Thin
Mar 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM

I enjoyed reading your trip report, travelenthusiast. Thanks for sharing with us. My mom and I both enjoyed watching General Hospital - she's been gone 18 years now. So cherish these wonderful moments that you still have with your mother.

Robyn >-
Mar 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Cries - When I said that she is a picky eater, I meant that she doesn't like a lot of different types of food. She has her familiar comfort zone and stays within that. I didn't mean that she was snobby with her food choices.

Artstuff - I try to enjoy our time together. I had two elderly aunts who died this past year and I was reminded how much we really don't know how long we have. I've been trying to get both of my parents to go on a vacation with my husband and I but they aren't beach people.
Mar 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM

You have shown remarkable tact in your responses to the poster who commented quite rudely about your dining choice. Who cares? If you had a nice meal there with your mom, that is the main point.

I enjoyed your report very much. Thanks for sharing the details with us.
Mar 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Clanwilson - Sadly, you have to get used to responses like that on this board. Not everyone is going to agree with your choice of activities and some people here choose to be less than kind to others if their opinion differs.

I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report. I have a great time reliving my trips by writing about them. The trip reports are like souvenirs to me.
Mar 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM

What a lovely trip report. I was in NYC last weekend on a combined FAM (familiarization) trip for tour directors and test preparation for the NYC license test. ALL of us passed, so that was great. I was born in Stamford, CT, and was, of course, familiar with the city, but there are a lot of logistical things you learn on a FAM tour.

It would have been a lot more fun to see a couple of shows, as you did.
Mar 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Barbounia~~~I am going to google it. I want to go there. Y ummmy.
Mar 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM

My comments weren't meant to be mean.

I am honestly trying to help people.

Someone may come here and see the reco for Rosie O'Grady's and I want to steer them away from this restaurant.

With so many great restaurants in Manhattan it is a shame to eat at Rosie O'Grady's.

This is not to disparage OP's choice. She obviously dined there because it was convenient.

Thin